New vibrating device for anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whopper

Former jolly good fellow
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A patient told me they started a specific vibrating device for anxiety. This thing is being virally advertised. I'm not mentioning the device only because I don't want this thread closed.

Anyone here know what I'm talking about and if so seen any results with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, to avoid the thread being shut down while showing what the device is I'll show a study with it.

Here's an article reviewing a few similar devices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine that using certain vibrating devices in certain ways would definitely lead to MH benefits. Though there may be a differential effect by gender.
Wasn't it the original 'cure' for 'hysteria?'

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hmm, to avoid the thread being shut down while showing what the device is I'll show a study with it.

Here's an article reviewing a few similar devices.

I'm skeptical, in the past most of these types of devices were pure bunk. Also, that proposed study is absolute garbage as it does exactly zero to control for placebo and monitoring effects. They are not even attempting a control group, of any sort. Until I see any real data on these things, they are in the pseduoscience bin with neurofeedback, EMDR, and qEEG.

I think that turned out to be a myth. That was never the medical use for vibrators.
Yeah...my Breuer, Mesmer, and Saltpetriere-era History & Systems knowledge is...rusty...to say the least.

I'm skeptical, in the past most of these types of devices were pure bunk. Also, that proposed study is absolute garbage as it does exactly zero to control for placebo and monitoring effects. They are not even attempting a control group, of any sort. Until I see any real data on these things, they are in the pseduoscience bin with neurofeedback, EMDR, and qEEG.
But there is evidence that EMDR helps with PTSD symptoms. Or are you referring to EMDR for generalized anxiety?

I imagine that using certain vibrating devices in certain ways would definitely lead to MH benefits. Though there may be a differential effect by gender.

Now, let’s be inclusive here

These millenials and gen z'ers really do want big tech everywhere!

But there is evidence that EMDR helps with PTSD symptoms. Or are you referring to EMDR for generalized anxiety?

EMDR does not help with PTSD symptoms, the exposure component added in helps with PTSD symptoms. The eye movements are an expensive placebo. Lot of research, including dismantling studies here.

Reactions: 4 users
There's an app called Tappy that I think is targeted more toward autism, but anyhow, it uses the iPhone's taptic engine (which is surprisingly strong) to create various vibrations (rain, footsteps, car driving by) along with you tapping and it showing visuals.