New way To pay off Student Loans

Started by cheathac
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Well I believe that no interest accumulates. It's adjusted with income as well.. I'm not sure what the IBR is. Can you enlighten me?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I believe that no interest accumulates. It's adjusted with income as well.. I'm not sure what the IBR is. Can you enlighten me?
Ah that's what i missed. The no interest part would be nice.

IBR is income based repayment, so a similar thing, your monthly minimum payments are adjusted based on your income. After 20 (or 25? I always forget) years whatever is left is forgiven but you have to pay income tax on that amount. So this new plan sounds like they take a certain amount of your income until the full amount is paid off. Since it doesn't accumulate interest that might actually work out well. But i don't know, I'm not that financially savvy (yet).
 
Me neither.. I know many have shown their displeasure. but to me it's appealing. There are caps I believe, your payments can't exceed 15% if on the shorter plan.. I can't remember the longer plan cap. And if you earn less than 18,000 a year you don't pay the investors at all? Seems interesting to look into. Especially since specializing and doing a residency is what I would love to do.
 
I think the longer term cap is around 7%. I saw this on my feed as well. I think it's a good option for students who know that they will be entering low-income jobs immediately post-graduation, but if I knew that my field averaged 60k post-undergrad, I would not be a fan of only paying %15 if I could feasibly pay a larger amount of loans in a shorter amount of time.