New way To pay off Student Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I believe that no interest accumulates. It's adjusted with income as well.. I'm not sure what the IBR is. Can you enlighten me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I believe that no interest accumulates. It's adjusted with income as well.. I'm not sure what the IBR is. Can you enlighten me?
Ah that's what i missed. The no interest part would be nice.

IBR is income based repayment, so a similar thing, your monthly minimum payments are adjusted based on your income. After 20 (or 25? I always forget) years whatever is left is forgiven but you have to pay income tax on that amount. So this new plan sounds like they take a certain amount of your income until the full amount is paid off. Since it doesn't accumulate interest that might actually work out well. But i don't know, I'm not that financially savvy (yet).

Reactions: 1 user
Me neither.. I know many have shown their displeasure. but to me it's appealing. There are caps I believe, your payments can't exceed 15% if on the shorter plan.. I can't remember the longer plan cap. And if you earn less than 18,000 a year you don't pay the investors at all? Seems interesting to look into. Especially since specializing and doing a residency is what I would love to do.

I think the longer term cap is around 7%. I saw this on my feed as well. I think it's a good option for students who know that they will be entering low-income jobs immediately post-graduation, but if I knew that my field averaged 60k post-undergrad, I would not be a fan of only paying %15 if I could feasibly pay a larger amount of loans in a shorter amount of time.