New York EM Program Stereotypes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDingo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not from New York, but I ended up matching in a NY program. I was just curious about what the "word on the street" was in terms of some of the other programs in the area. Like..."this program is a meat grinder", or "that program turns out really confident residents" or "tons of trauma there" or whatever. I think local New Yorkers kind of already have their own opinions of the different programs, and I'd be really interested to hear them. I'm not looking for a ranking of them or anything (I'm sure they're all awesome)...just curious to see what people think since I'm not from the region. I pasted a list below just to jog people's memory.

New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens/Cornell University Medical College
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center
University of Rochester
Albert Einstein College of Medical (Jacobi/Montefiore)
New York Methodist Hospital
SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn (Downstate)
Albany Medical Center
Albert Einstein College of Medical at Beth Israel Medical Center (New York)
Staten Island University Hospital
Maimonedes Medical Center
New York University School of Medicine
Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center Program
Brooklyn Hospital Center
University at Buffalo
New York Presbyterian Hospital
SUNY Upstate Medical University (Syracuse)
New York Medical College (Metropolitan)
Long Island Jewish Medical Center
SUNY at Stony Brook
North Shore University

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is research you should have done before putting in your applications and finalising your rank list. There's no advantage to doing it now; you'll start learning the reputations of your own and other programs as soon as you turn up to your residency.

I did a rotation at Bellevue. Absolutely loved it, but ultimately NYC was a little too expensive for me considering I have a child. Can't help you with the rest though.

Last edited:
The actual NYC hospitals (note: Long Island =\= NYC) will give you massive amounts of patients with minimal support staff. You will see tons of patients, many of whom are sick. You will be doing a lot of scut work yourself, you will be dealing with overcrowding and limited resources and depending on where you are, significant amounts of boarding.

I'm a New Yorker myself but I knew that that wasn't the type of environment I wanted to train in. Philadelphia definitely gives me all the inner city experience I could possibly want but it's still not as nutso as the places I rotated at in New York.