Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

New York EMT summer program?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by omniatlas, Sep 26, 2001.

1. omniatlas

omniatlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone know any community colleges in the Manhattan area offering an EMT-B course over the summer?

I'm not from around that area and not familiar with the colleges over there -- if someone could point me in the right direction, your help is appreciated.

Thanks again.

2. styphon

styphon Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Even if you find a place to teach EMT-B in the summer, it is hard to find something to do.
    Most EMS systems in NYC have been combined with the firefighters.For example, I think *every* ambulance that responded to the twin towers incident were affilated with a Firehouse..
    And further more..You'd need firefighting training, and I know some *only* accept paramedics.

3. omniatlas

omniatlas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the info styphon, I'm going to look around.

My college actually offers a EMT-I course, I've been wait-listed for next year, but I don't think I'll accept because of the killer class load I will have next year (O-chem + lab, and physics) and because of the large time committment I will have to make (it runs for a whole year, 12 hrs/week).

I would prefer to be certified over the summer where I have more time...I'll be stressing over my classes the rest of the school year, and I don't want the training to get in the way of my studies.

4. goldie

goldie Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I took an EMT-B course at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice three summers ago. Not sure if they're doing it now, but imagine they are.