new york internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me decide which NYC (+Jersey City) intern years to apply to. I'm considering TYs and Medicine Prelim, not so much the Surgery Prelims.

I hope to stay in on the west coast for internship and residency, but have applied to the New York ophtho programs as well. (And other locales, but this thread is about NYC.)

The thing is, I REALLY want to move once or not at all. I currently live in LA and do not want to move to one new city for internship and then move again for residency. (I have 2 small children, and this would just be painful.)

So I'm applying to more internships than I would otherwise, to try to cover my bases regardless of where I match for ophtho.

With that background, which NYC internships should I apply to? I can always add more after I match in ophtho if it turns out I'll be going to NYC, but at the moment I just want to hit a few that are particularly attractive (cush + good learning = ideal) and/or competitive (and therefore best applied to early).

By researching Frieda, the program websites, and Scutwork.com I've culled the ridiculous number of NYC internships down to the following list, but I feel like it's still too long for someone who really doesn't want to be in NYC:

Jersey City Medical Program Med Prelim
New York Medical College (Richmond) Med Prelim
Presbyterian-Columbia Med Prelim
NYU Medical Center Program Med Prelim
St. Luke's-Roosevelt Med Prelim
Flushing Hospital TY
Maimonides TY
Sloan-Kettering TY
Cornell Flushing TY

If anyone can tell me to cross out any of the above for malignancy (or other reasons), or if there's a gem of a program I've overlooked, please let me know.

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Look at Mount Sinai Queens hospital. In my mind, it's an overlooked program. The hospital itself is only half hour from manhattan, brand new and the computer system is great. Mostly FMGs, but the prelims are US grads. the workload, though heavy as expected for an intern, is manageable.

Look at Mount Sinai Queens hospital. In my mind, it's an overlooked program. The hospital itself is only half hour from manhattan, brand new and the computer system is great. Mostly FMGs, but the prelims are US grads. the workload, though heavy as expected for an intern, is manageable.

Thanks!

Any other NYC internship opinions?

You forgot St. Vincent's in Manhattan.
Lenox Hill, also in Manhattan.
Cabrini was the best but it recently closed down.
There are others, New York is packed with residencies.

If you have kids maybe Manhattan isn't the best place for them. NY area prelims tend to run on the competitive side, Manhattan ones even more so. Manhattan ones also tend to be less cush than outlying hospitals, but that's a very very generalized statement.

If the boards are anything like last year, unfortunately you may have a hard time getting your applicant peers to tell you about NY "gems" on a public forum. I applied to all of the TY programs and didn't even know about the prelim medicine ones. Do your homework and apply broadly. In the worst case, you'll get the feel of the program you need on interview day.