New York licensed pharmacists...Oh Dear.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
article said:
“There is a need in New York State for an additional school, as there are only seven schools of pharmacy in New York,” Kaushansky said. “The need for pharmacists locally in Suffolk County remains strong, as Suffolk has fewer pharmacists per capita than the rest of the State.”
Only 7, that's all.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't have a problem with schools opening up at CUNY or SUNY. At least these will have reasonable tuition for in-state students. It gives an option to the kids in the NYC/Long Island area to not have to go to a private school like St. John's, LIU, and Touro and pay crazy ass tuition. If a NYC high school student wanted to go a SUNY pharmacy school, they'd have to go to Buffalo.

The competition for this school would be fierce.

Members don't see this ad :)
BU is opening theirs too, so that will be 3 SUNY programs and 9 in the state, not to mention Albany's "satellite" in Vermont. I don't know much about Suffolk County, but I can't imagine it's a terribly undesirable, hard to staff area that needs its own school. But even if that were true, you graduate one class of 75 to fill all supposed vacancies in the area and then what? You need 75 more the next year? And the year after that?

Supply and demand

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
BU is opening theirs too, so that will be 3 SUNY programs and 9 in the state, not to mention Albany's "satellite" in Vermont. I don't know much about Suffolk County, but I can't imagine it's a terribly undesirable, hard to staff area that needs its own school. But even if that were true, you graduate one class of 75 to fill all supposed vacancies in the area and then what? You need 75 more the next year? And the year after that?

Suffolk county is a desirable area to work. Suburban life and still just 1 hour away from NYC.

Suffolk county is a desirable area to work. Suburban life and still just 1 hour away from NYC.
That's my point, I can't see it being hard to staff and needing it's own school, although that's what the press release I quoted seemed to say.

That's my point, I can't see it being hard to staff and needing it's own school, although that's what the press release I quoted seemed to say.

It would take away from Touro, St. Johns, and LIU though as those are the only options for NYC + Long Island students who want to stay local. If you're a Long Islander, you no longer need to worry about having to take the LIRR for a 2 hour commute for pharmacy school.