New York Medical College - in trouble??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2bkiddoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all you NYMC med students.

I've come to SDN to seek the truth about something a friend of mine at Jefferson told me. I'm a non-trad student applying to medical school and am originally from Rockland (working in Philly at the childrens hosp at the moment). This jeff student (who went to HS with me in rock) said that westchester med has told employees to start seeking work elsewhere. And said student also mentioned that applying to NYMC is not a smart idea becuase its future is shaky.

So, is it fact or fiction? Is it really as bad as it seems? I love my family dearly and would love to be close to my rapidly aging parents for medical school (although I wouldnt commute from rockland, but im right off the TZ bridge). I hope this other med student was just talking "talk"

I'd love to hear from you!!! I'd rather get the truth from you all than wonder about an unsupported rumor.

Thanks!!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know where he heard that, but neither Weschester Med Center nor NYMC are in any danger of closing. It is true that Westchester Med is operating at a loss (like many other hospitals), but they could never close. It is the only major hospital in the region it serves.

The only bad thing I have heard is that they are hostile to minorities, particularly LGBQ. I'm not sure what the basis for this was though.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050301/NEWS02/503010357/1027/NEWS11
The hospital is not doing financially well... and from some brief inside experience not amazingly well run. Being from the surrounding area too, it sounds like many hospitals in Westchester are not doing well financially.
The school is run by the archdiocese, so I doubt the school it self is in any trouble. They are affiliated with hospitals in the city, not sure which ones, but I think mainly "the Saints" (St. Lukes-Rosavet etc)... so you'll probably still have a place to train. Still probably unlikely that the Westchester campus will close... it is the only trauma center outside of the city, so the state will probably need to fund it (this is also probably some of the reasons they are loosing money)
Re: minority issues... there was some issue regarding their prohibiting the LGBT group on campus... my guess is their strong Religous affiliation. No work on effect on other racial/ethnic minorities.

NYMC is not in financial trouble at all. Westchester medical Center is an affiliate and not owned by the school. WMC has had financial problems that are improving. It has no more financial problems than Mt. Sinai or what Columbia had a few years back. And for the last time no one banned the GLBT club!! Shesh get your facts straight people. The only thing the school said is that they don't want to fund them since they want to have things like "coming out day" at the school. They are allowed to meet all they want to.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. Those are the responses I was looking for. Much appreciated!!

Joel Fleischman said:
They are affiliated with hospitals ...itan, and several others are NYMC-affiliated.

Werry said:
And for the last time no one banned the GLBT club!! Shesh get your facts straight people. The only thing the school said is that they don't want to fund them since they want to have things like "coming out day" at the school. They are allowed to meet all they want to.

Well Werry is a 4th year so we'll let it slide that he/she doesn't know all the facts, but the club is banned. They(the club leadership) were told by Dean O'Connell that they(the "GLBT club") are not to congregate in any fashion on school property. Further, the GLBT type events that are being put on are having to be EXTREMELY careful about event titles and are being screened. For example a recent talk by Dr. Petro was changed from "homophobia as a health hazard" to "Potential Health Hazards: Understanding GLBT Patients and Healthcare" to appear less adverserial. So there are degrees of truth to what is occuring. There are a bunch of GLBT friendly student who are being allowed to organize events in the guise of other organizations, but we are having to be very careful not to cross that line.

On a side note, the county and several national organizations are seeing what if any legal action is necessary to rectify the situation. So, what needs to happen is happening, and the campus has numerous GLBT friendly students, so I don't think it is something to worry about.