New York Methodist Hospital Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pure Anergy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted on behalf of a student who interviewed there last year:

New York Methodist Hospital
1/11/11:
Pre-interview Social: None, though residents were available throughout the day. Very nice, down to earth people, made funny jokes throughout the tour. They themselves admit that this is not a "strongly academic" program, but that there are "enough academics to pursue if that's what you want." During lunch, everyone was very friendly and approachable, came down from all their different rotations. Generally they were pretty happy. Though, when i asked about "hanging out" the two people on our tour hesitated a little, but other residents conversations seemed to suggest they were very social. Overall people seemed very happy with their residency experience.

Interview: Solid community/kinda academic program. Definitely has a community feel, but is academically associated with cornell medical school. 18 x 12 hr, 17 x 12 hr, 16 x 12 hr shifts. ED is VERY nice, pretty hospital. Get roughly 85K visits and going up. Level II Trauma, not Level I, but stated "we still get occasional trauma by being the closest hospital." "Good nursing staff, but understaffed, like all of new york city hosp." Park Slope is great and resident housing is available across the street from hosp, but some feel that they can't escape the shadow of the hosp that way. Mostly rotate though methodist, but also do trauama at brookdale in east new york, and do a peds month there. 2nd and 3rd year, they distribute a few peds shift each adult ED month. Tox month an NYU. Faculty all seemed very friendly and approachable, easy to talk to, and had a good sense of humor. Elective in third year, many seem to do ultrasound because it is favored in the program, some do go abroad, others do more trauma. "FBI" remediation program in place if needed if a resident struggles.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how many full weekends off per 4 week block the residents get each year (not trying to slack off just want to get a feel for the scheduling).

Does anyone know how many full weekends off per 4 week block the residents get each year (not trying to slack off just want to get a feel for the scheduling).

Dunno about this one specifically but my soon to be program does 18 x 12 and I think they try to give one full weekend off per block. still seems pretty brutal. Don't know that any nyc programs will get more than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an ER resident at Methodist. I debated posting this because I don't want to hurt my residency but I think that applicants have a right now know. I wish I did.

I'm sorry to say but this place is awful. The work environment is horrible (not enough staff across the board from nursing to attendings), our volume is out of control with LICH and Interfaith (nearby hospitals) closing, we work like dogs, and the administration is malignant. We stay after shift forever to document and dispo and still more patients are pushed on us during shift. We now have requirements for patients per hour that we see (1/hr first year, 1.5/hr second year, and 2/hr third year) and while this maybe doesn't seem to bad, it's actually really hard to see that many because this place is so dysfunctional. Seeing 2 an hour while trying to do procedures, supervise junior residents, presenting to attendings, doing lab draws (not enough nurses), pushing patients to CT (sometimes), printing out discharges, etc. is incredibly hard. We actually get report cards each block that include the number of patients we see and we get warnings if we are falling on the low end of the spectrum. On top of that, we have a mandatory administration shift each month and if you don't meet your logging or follow-up requirements, you get an additional punishment admin shift. People also get pulled occasionally from their off services (except MICU, and tele) to come work in the department if the volume is too high.

Most of the attendings don't appreciate you and you're quick to get crap for not seeing enough patients, not discharging them quickly enough, or not makings sure labs or imagining got done. Some attendings barely leave their seats. A lot of the responsibility falls on the residents to keep up with the patient volume and then we get crazy phone calls at any time of the day if stroke times, pneumonia antibiotics, or chest pain measures aren't met. The resident gets in trouble first for these and then maybe the attending, but usually not.

We also had a really frightening thing happen to one of our second years. He was one of our top residents and was well liked by residents and the staff. He was really smart but was also vocal about the problems in the residency. He was also being pursued by a married female attending (a bunch of people saw her drunk and all over him at a couple resident events) and he reported it to HR because he didn't want anything to do with her. Suddenly he disappears from the residency and transfers somewhere else. There are lot of rumors surrounding his departure that probably aren't safe to post publicly but it was really shocking and scary for the whole residency. I know that he was really sad to leave his family and friends in NY. They're not talking about it much on the interviews why there is an empty spot in second year class and pretty much just say he wasn't happy but that's not the truth.

There are some good things. We get paid really well, our benefits are awesome, we have a good ultrasound department, and we have a really diverse patient population. Unfortunately these things don't make up for how bad the residency is. A lot of residents are unhappy here but are afraid to speak up and don't' want to make it obvious to applicants because it'll mean we get a bad match.

If you feel like you may not match, then it's probably a good idea to apply and rank Methodist. It's better to match than scramble. Otherwise forget about it.

I recently interviewed at NY Methodist and was told about these very problems by two of the third year residents. They said many similar things about the place. It sounds like it's falling apart. The residents graduating are getting jobs. The large volume of a patients, self learning, a good ultrasound education and a few good attendings have helped them get through and be qualified docs. But they didn't recommend coming there and they can't wait to leave. They also mentioned that the Chairman had not completed a residency training in anything. Go figure.

I am also a resident at NYMH, so I will do my best to give a different perspective.

I'm not originally from NYC. I'm from the midwest, from a state where EDs see maybe 50K pts a year, almost all of which aren't very sick. Nursing staff is plentiful, aids and techs are always around, and the departments there usually run like well oiled machines. So why did I leave the comfort of local programs to attend a program in a city that is notorious for their nurses being spread thin in incredibly overcrowded EDs? I have several.

Let me preface this by saying that I chose to come to NY Methodist Hospital. It was a conscious decision; I didn't f*ck up. At the risk of sounding arrogant, let me say that I was a good candidate; I had excellent board scores and SLORS. I was offered interviews at very competitive programs across the nation. I turned down many excellent programs, decided to rank Methodist #1 and haven't thought twice about it. This hospital is on pace to see >100K patients this year in the ED, many of which are very sick. And of those patients that come through the ED, the ones that us residents see are the higher level triaged patients; so although we may see the occasional sprained knee during our night shifts, we see a great deal of serious pathology. How sick you ask? Well, by the end of November of my intern year I had already managed countless severe septic patients, intubated, lined, LP'ed, and managed two patients with dissecting aortic aneurisms. How many interns at other programs have told their attendings that they are about to start an esmolol drips on their patients? Anyone?

I came to NYC because I wanted to work in "the jungle". I wanted to work in an ED that was chaotic, an ED that pumped adrenaline through my veins for 12 hours at a time. I wanted to work in an ED where I had to learn every aspect of patient care, so that in the future I could handle anything thrown my way. The way I see it, to be a solid ED physician you have to know how to do everything from the mundane insertion of IV catheters, to creating burr-holes and clam shelling. Methodist gives you that opportunity. (as an aside, the nursing staff is spread thin here, but most of them are very good at what they do)

Now let me address the previous post. I would wholeheartedly, unconditionally disagree with the statement that the attendings don't appreciate the residents. The attendings here are very good at what they do. They have years of experience, and many of them are graduates of the program. Each attending will oversee the care of dozens of patients a shift. The accusation that they don't get up from their seats? Not quite sure what this person is referring to. I've never seen that. Attendings, like the residents, seem to always be moving, seeing their patients, and discussing disposition with the respective resident. Given the high acuity of patients and the volume that the attendings see, it would be easy to think that the attendings are fatigued and angry. But this is not the case. During my shifts, the attendings I work with are always enjoying what they do, are proud of the teamwork they see amongst the residents, and make the at times stressful 12 hour shifts enjoyable. When we round at the end of the shifts, the attendings always thank the day or night teams for their work. And frequently, attendings will take several residents out to lunch and drinks, and speak to us as equals. I love this. It gives a genuine feeling that Methodist is a family. I didn't get this vibe from other programs I interviewed at.

The residents? Some may have grips about the chaos that goes on during busy shifts or policies made by the administration, but residency is supposed to be challenging and stressful, and you'll get these frustrations with administration at most programs. I'd rather be stressed to my limit now so that I can be ready for anything that may come my way in the future. And I can tell you that all of us are happy with each other. Our residency hangs out frequently, pretty much every night we can. We grab drinks, food, and enjoy each others company. Wednesday conference days; and Tuesday nights are protected time for interns so that they can go to conference on Wednesdays. Thus, Tuesday night there is always something going on, and it is always a good time. In my opinion, if you are looking for a program that will make you happy, the residents you work with and connect with are integral to your happiness.

Lastly, Methodist is in Park Slope, Brooklyn, an absolutely beautiful neighborhood with numerous bars and restaurants. I live seconds from Prospect Park, a tremendous asset. I also live within 20 mins via subway to Manhattan. So if you're looking to work in a program in an exciting city, Methodist provides that.

Again, I have no regrets about coming here. I'd rank it #1 again if given the opportunity. Hope this helps.

Best of luck to all applicants this year.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I'm a current intern here at Methodist and long time lurker on SDN. I would like to provide another point of view so you guys can make a more informed decision. First of all a little about me, the provider of this opinion. I am a pretty picky person about most things in life. I value my life very much and want to optimize my happiness. I don't like my porridge too hot or too cold. I like it just right...

So my opinion is: I love this place. I am grateful I am here. I love my fellow interns and all the other residents. I can't believe that I do being so picky, but I do. I appreciate every attending and do not have problems with a single one, another surprise. I think the training is good, and I think there are many attendings that are academic and up-to-date on the current lit. Our ultrasound attendings and fellows are top notch and they love to teach. I haven't worked in the peds side much but they've given some good lectures, and the peds fellows kick butt.

The PGY2 resident leaving was an unfortunate event but from my limited but multisourced opinion, it appeared that the resident was too picky and no practical solution would satisfy him here.

The post by chestcompression is a shocker because I think most residents here are quite satisified. If you come to one of our dinners or conferences on wednesday you'll see how much fun we all have together. Hopefully some of my fellow residents will also chime in.

Feel free to email me with any questions about the program at [email protected]

My experience at Methodist has been exceptional.
I'm also not from New York. I applied broadly with the goal of ending up at a program that has the ability to prepare me for my future career. There is no doubt in my mind that this program has the capacity to do so. What Methodist offers is a diverse patient population, tons of pathology, large census, and high expectations. In your first year you will frequently be pushed by yourself and others to expand your differential, take on more patients, take on the acutely ill and do a damn good job. The first year is chalk full of intubations, central lines, art lines, lac repairs, conscious sedation, joint reductions and much more. Attendings are involved, knowledgeable and eager to teach. I leave every shift with a new tool in my box and a novel way to approach a clinical problem. The community is safe, welcoming and an amazing place to live. Two months of the year is spent in East Brooklyn where penetrating trauma is the bread and butter. You will be expected to manage patients that are actively dying, of course, with the aid of your senior residents. As for the future, it has been an absolute joy watching our seniors place in fellowships and careers of their choosing. Our seniors have placed in prominent fellowships in ultrasound and toxicology, while others plan to practice immediately upon graduation. When considering your future, I strongly encourage you to consider Methodist as your future home. If EM is your passion and you thrive in a community full of driven individuals eager to become the future of Emergency Medicine, welcome.

Sorry if my post reduced the credibility of chest compressions comments. Thought they were helpful. We are not the same person. It's bizarre to even write that. After reading the overblown, dare I say sycophantic remarks from the residents there, it's off my rank list. How can anyone refer to a Level II community program in Park Slope as the jungle? And I would not call upon Goldi Locks to make a point. I don't want attendings taking me out for drinks or treating me as an equal. I don't know enough to be their equal. I'm not their for martinis or to be part of the Brady Bunch. Why didn't they mention that they have one less resident during the interview day? Why didn't they fill the spot? How many attendings present at conference? What are the monthly M and M discussions like? How much time after shift are you documenting? What research has come out of the department? What are your off service rotations like and are they well supervised? Are the graduates getting a diversity of fellowships and jobs? How many attendings there would you trust to take care of you and your family? We've all worked hard. I don't want to take a chance with my professional career. I have to believe that comradery and kindness exist elsewhere. I wish everyone the best of luck. Different strokes and all that. Just ask the hard questions when you interview someplace.

This is going to be my last post on here because my original post riled up administration a lot and I don't want to be the next resident to disappear and I'm definitely going to stay anonymous. I heard they were pulling residents in to meetings to try to figure out who it was and that they contacted this website to try to get more information. If that doesn't say something about the place....

Maybe it's better here for the first years. I don't know. Or maybe they just haven't experienced the place enough. Following the attendings orders on a sick patient is exciting as a first year but you might find it different as a second or third year. Everything I wrote has been my experience here and there are definitely a significant portion of unhappy residents. I'll forward this to the resident who transferred to see if he will talk about how scary it can be here but I doubt he will post. Him leaving wasn't about him being "too picky" like Sunny wrote. It was a vicious attack that blew up in the administrations face and a bunch of residents hope that the ACGME finds out about it.

I don't know anything about the medical student who interviewed and what they wrote above. I have told a couple of medical students what I think but don't know if one of them posted here. I think the advice to ask lots of questions is really good regardless and rank very carefully.

Thoughts from interview day

Started in 1997. It’s in the very nice Park Slope Brooklyn neighborhood. It’s about 1300/month for a studio maybe even 1300/month for a 1br/1ba. It’s also right next to Prospect Park. It’s a Level II community hospital. It technically has 70 beds. The ED is nice looking but most rooms have curtains. There’s a separate peds ED and you do 3-4 shifts there during your regular ED month. You do vast majority of rotations Methodist, but you also do time at Brooksdale in Brooklyn for Level 1 adult and peds trauma. Methodist gets a wide range of rich patients in immediate area as well as poor patients from further out Brooklyn neighborhoods. There’s no ortho residency so you do a lot of splints and reductions. Supposedly, Emergency is the strongest residency of all the specialties present (they have all the standard ones). There appears to be a good relationship between the specialties, the 3rd year Mike McMahon said warm Hellos to the internists. There is a lack of nurses and techs so Dr. Cabezon even said for the interns to do ½ of their IV lines. Also you need to wheel out patients to Xray. Brooksdale is a poor county hospital with a lot of craziness. Supposedly there’s a ton of trauma and a lot of great stories. Residents seem like they get along. They have retreats, paintball competition, Christmas party with . They really like going to the resident-applicant bar. I didn’t meet any residents I didn’t like. However, 2 of the attendings I interviewed with here were kind of cold. There’s internal moonlighting, but it actually sounds like there’s no external moonlighting.

Big positives

1. Good training-you do ortho procedures, community hospital with a lot of time in a county hospital too. Strong peds, strong u/s

2. Brooklyn and Park Slope seem like cool places to live and work

Big negatives

1. NYC is cold

2. NYC is expensive and I will have a small apt

3. No simulation lab.

4. I really loved the hospital until I read the SDN posts above from a disgruntled resident. I emailed a couple of the residents and they said they loved the place and were very upfront and honest about the concerns addressed in the post. It sounded like they worked a lot but nothing insanely arduous. They also weren't "sycophantic."

How DO friendly is Methodist? I looked on the residency website but did not find a link to view current residents. Thanks!

Program director is a DO and vice chair of the department is a DO. I didn't look into their residents, but can't be too unfriendly of a place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who interviewed receive a schedule for the interview day? My interview is in a few weeks and I'm trying to plan flights but I dont know when the day starts and ends. I'd appreciate any info

On the website it says it's "affiliated w/ Cornell" and I'm confused. Cornell's main program is NYP, so what does this exactly mean? I get that you can ride the shuttle and have access to the Cornell online library, but I have some other questions if someone can kindly answer.

1) Are residents "house staff" for Cornell? I'd like to have access to the medical alumni network in the future.
2) Do Cornell medical students rotate here?
3) Can we get involved in lectures/teaching at Cornell medical school?
4) Do we have access to Cornell medical school's money to start projects?
5) What the other benefits of being affiliated with Cornell?

Bump - any updated thoughts?

So I’m several years out from interviewing from residency (fellowship trained attending) and this may have radically changed, but this was the only place where a resident pulled me aside on my interview day and said “Don’t come here. Don’t rank this place. Everyone is miserable, attendings are lazy, all we do is scut work, it’s awful.”

Reactions: 1 users
Have no insight into this program and I’m old AF, but I love it when people let the hate flow about residencies and give the real scoop. This place needs a lot more of that.

So I’m several years out from interviewing from residency (fellowship trained attending) and this may have radically changed, but this was the only place where a resident pulled me aside on my interview day and said “Don’t come here. Don’t rank this place. Everyone is miserable, attendings are lazy, all we do is scut work, it’s awful.”

Have no insight into this program and I’m old AF, but I love it when people let the hate flow about residencies and give the real scoop. This place needs a lot more of that.

I have no hate for the program. Didn’t go there. Ranked it last. Just trying to give objective data.

I am not a resident, nor did I train at NYP-Methodist. I am very familiar with the program as I regularly work with the residents. The residents are extremely nice/friendly people. The training they receive is sub-par, and it shows when they call a consult. A lot of this has to do with it being an 'inbred' program.

Pros: awesome neighborhood, very nice people, easy to get to, plenty to do
Cons: suboptimal training, inbred program, Dunning-Kruger effect

I am not a resident, nor did I train at NYP-Methodist. I am very familiar with the program as I regularly work with the residents. The residents are extremely nice/friendly people. The training they receive is sub-par, and it shows when they call a consult. A lot of this has to do with it being an 'inbred' program.

Pros: awesome neighborhood, very nice people, easy to get to, plenty to do
Cons: suboptimal training, inbred program, Dunning-Kruger effect

Subpar in the general NYC way, or subpar in a specific way? I like any comment involving Dunning-Kruger, so I must hear more.

Current resident here! First and foremost, I could not be happier with my experience here. Our residents are some of the most hard-working, talented and driven people I've met in EM. I've made some amazing friends here, and would go to bat for any of our residents. It's unfortunate to hear that likely a fellow attending has differing opinions (I'm catching a vibe of "I feel left out of the Methodist family"), but we all can't be so lucky to come here.

Or they're telling the truth and you're the one with the blinders on.

Have zero knowledge or experience with this place so not trying to pour gas on a fire, but it's always amusing to me in the (few) instances on this forum of a program being sub-par, or worse, there's always someone who jumps in with "idk what they're talking about, lolz, this place is GREAT!"

"Starting IVs are not skills you will need post-residency" is a statement that some people would *shudder* at. It's great that you've found a position where that's not a reality, I wish you continued success.

Again, if anyone has any questions feel free to reach out.

Since you haven't actually worked as an attending, why don't you ASK what skills and training we found most valuable? I don't think a single EM attending that I know would find starting IVs to be near the top of the list. Or perhaps even on the list at all.

Ask around- not many attending jobs where you start IVs. In fact, I did locums for a few years before my current non IV-starting job and can't think of a single place of the dozen I worked where starting IVs was a valued skill. Or even a useful skill. Even if you are the IV king at graduation, the nurses at most hospitals will keep up their skills better than you will.

I'm sure NYM provides great training, but don't drink the Kool Aid that scut is in any way helpful in becoming an ER doc.

Last edited:
So......anyway....

How's the trauma exposure here/where do the residents rotate for trauma? Do your residents get enough trauma related procedures during their time at NYM?

We get mostly blunt trauma as a hospital, occasional penetrating here and there. Our separate traditional trauma rotation site has been Brookdale in East Brooklyn which is a great site for procedures - lots of penetrating trauma and so more opportunity for things like chest tubes. Brookdale now has all three classes up and running so its a little tight but our second years are still rotating there. Every now and then we get a pretty bad trauma, but I wouldn't say trauma is our strongest suit.

Where do first and third years rotate for trauma then?

Lol. All deleted. What happened?

So can anyone bump and give a better idea of this place?

3rd year looking to potentially do an away here! Can any current residents or recent grads give their thoughts on the place please?

I interviewed here 3 years ago. This is where my sister did her IM residency as well, which is why I had applied. Nothing dramatic happened on the interview, no one seemed that unhappy to me. The program did end up at number 16 or 17 of my list because of lack of resources. This was the only place where I interviewed where residents said they would wheel their patient to the CT scanner occasionally. Also, this was the only place that had the crappiest simulation lab. And training at a level 2 facility was a somewhat downgrading factor for me. Otherwise residents weren't that unhappy from what I remember.

I interviewed here 3 years ago. This is where my sister did her IM residency as well, which is why I had applied. Nothing dramatic happened on the interview, no one seemed that unhappy to me. The program did end up at number 16 or 17 of my list because of lack of resources. This was the only place where I interviewed where residents said they would wheel their patient to the CT scanner occasionally. Also, this was the only place that had the crappiest simulation lab. And training at a level 2 facility was a somewhat downgrading factor for me. Otherwise residents weren't that unhappy from what I remember.

If residents at other programs, especially in NYC, didn't tell you they wheel their patients to the CT scanner, they were lying to you.

Yeh the level two trauma center definitely is a downgrader, but it seems like the Brookdale months might give you more than enough trauma training given how much they see there. And the hospital is now a "regional trauma center" but I'm not really sure what that means. Also I'm another NYC place and the ED definitely wheels patients to CT and Xray all the time, that's just a feature of NYC EDs I think. Thanks! Any current residents out there?

If residents at other programs, especially in NYC, didn't tell you they wheel their patients to the CT scanner, they were lying to you.

This was my only interview in new York. I had places like Cincinnati, Harvard, Hopkins on my list so their resources seemed pale in comparison. Though I did walk out impressed by their ultrasound program. And quite honestly almost every residency program churns out decent trained docs as long as the person puts in personal effort.

On a side note, I have wheeled patients to CT scanners myself as well. Mostly though those patients are very critical, not because there isn't someone to push the bed.

Though at the same time, I see some benefit in knowing how to function without support staff as well.

This was my only interview in new York. I had places like Cincinnati, Harvard, Hopkins on my list so their resources seemed pale in comparison. Though I did walk out impressed by their ultrasound program. And quite honestly almost every residency program churns out decent trained docs as long as the person puts in personal effort.

On a side note, I have wheeled patients to CT scanners myself as well. Mostly though those patients are very critical, not because there isn't someone to push the bed.

Though at the same time, I see some benefit in knowing how to function without support staff as well.

I don’t.

Agreed. Wheeling patients is not educational. What kind of Kool-Aid are people drinking? Is wheeling people something that you don't know how to do, or that you plan on doing in practice?

Agreed. Wheeling patients is not educational. What kind of Kool-Aid are people drinking? Is wheeling people something that you don't know how to do, or that you plan on doing in practice?

We don't wheel patients for transport, but occasionally we are there when they are unstable and need to go somewhere and they may code en route. For example, unstable stemis with hypotension will almost always get accompanied to cath lab by an EM resident at my shop. It doesn't help that cath Lab is a 10 minute walk away

Last edited:
I don’t.

Well ultrasound IVs is one thing that my support staff at my residency is really good at, so I never do them because some medic or nurse will get the IV. So I think that's one thing that would have been beneficial to be good at which I'm not because someone else almost always does it.

I can personally do a few nursing tasks like starting lines and pumps because I am a flight doc as wel where its just me and my flight nurse and they often will need help when it's a critical patient. But at the hospital I've never started a drip or administered any medications myself. Routinely push meds myself at flight.

3rd year looking to potentially do an away here! Can any current residents or recent grads give their thoughts on the place please?

Current resident here, I would recommend it! We're a pretty busy department, no shortage of patients to see. Dr. Ayala who runs the clerkship is great - super passionate about teaching and overall just a great guy. Our real standout factor is definitely the strength of the ultrasound program. We have five Zonare machines, GYN probes and trophons in each of the four GYN rooms, and overall just a really strong ultrasound faculty.

As far as the scutwork that comes along with the job, I don't think anyone is saying it's educational. It's more just a reality you have to accept in working in an under resourced department. That being said...with the recent takeover by NYP, support staff has increased immensely. Much more nurses, techs and transport. Bottom line is that your program is what you make of it, just find a place where you'll be happy.

Reactions: 1 users
Current resident here, I would recommend it! We're a pretty busy department, no shortage of patients to see. Dr. Ayala who runs the clerkship is great - super passionate about teaching and overall just a great guy. Our real standout factor is definitely the strength of the ultrasound program. We have five Zonare machines, GYN probes and trophons in each of the four GYN rooms, and overall just a really strong ultrasound faculty.

As far as the scutwork that comes along with the job, I don't think anyone is saying it's educational. It's more just a reality you have to accept in working in an under resourced department. That being said...with the recent takeover by NYP, support staff has increased immensely. Much more nurses, techs and transport. Bottom line is that your program is what you make of it, just find a place where you'll be happy.

Awesome, thanks so much for your help! Sounds like a great place, happy to hear that you like it and that the teaching is great