New York or Vermont resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New York or Vermont

• New York

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Vermont

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephromancer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I’m wondering if it would be better to listed as a New York or a Vermont resident for applying to medical school?

I’m a reaplicant and applied as a NY resident last time (didn’t get much love from NY). While there are more SUNY schools, there are less Vermont residents overall applying to UVM. Someone also suggested to me that being from VT might be advantageous in other states too, since so many applicants are from NY and they don’t want to take everyone from the same state.

I’m technically a legal resident of both and could list either one. I’m thinking of listing my current VT address as my preferred and legal address, but leaving my NY address as my permanent one.

Any thoughts?

While AMCAS allows you to select your state of residence, and this how schools most often use for initial screening, there is nothing preventing you from informing appropriate schools that you indeed a resident of that state and/or have strong ties to that state school. Many OOS acceptees to schools are, in fact, either dual residence, have strong ties to the state, or are otherwise connected. I would suggest that the mechanics of this would be easier with using NY residence but clearly explaining to VT that you have significant ties to the state, either on secondary or even with email/update presecondary (if they screen).

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...-2020-amcas-applicant-guide041119.pdf#page=29
Association of American Medical Colleges Legal Residence: The medical school(s) you apply to may be interested in your state and/or county of legal residence for consideration as part of the application review process. Each state has its own qualifications for determining legal residency; medical schools may request additional documentation. You are responsible for researching and understanding a state’s qualifications for legal residency before claiming it as your state of legal residence in your AMCAS application. It may be possible to qualify for multiple states of legal residency, but you may select only one in the AMCAS application. If you have a state of legal residence in the United States, select Ye s and then select the state in which you are a legal resident. If your state is not listed, select Unknown U.S. from the list. If you qualify for residency in more than one state, you may declare only one of those states as your legal residence in AMCAS. After selecting your state, select the county from the drop-down list. If your county is not listed, select <state name> Unknown County from the drop-down list

Reactions: 1 user
Oddly enough, the average GPA and average MCAT score for Vermont matriculants at MD schools are higher than the averages for New York matriculants. This surprises me.

For tax purposes in general you are a resident of the state where you intend to stay indefinitely. For med school purposes you actually need to look at the residency rules in New York and Vermont. Generalities won't cut it.

I would email the schools directly for their residency requirements. Some schools have that information on their websites. My school's rule is the state you work in and vote in is your legal state of residence.

Status
Not open for further replies.