Vermont vs. UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stere0psis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been accepted to my top two programs and have been flip-flopping between them. I have partial GI Bill benefits but that's likely all the aid I'd receive at both schools. Here's the rundown so far:

Vermont
Pros
- smaller class size
- East coast (4 seasons, closer to home, area is similar to where I grew up)
- offers in-state tuition for the GI Bill (pretty sure only applies to the first 3 years so it'd be OOS tuition for the final year)
- regionally respected program (strong regional match list)
- really like their active learning focus in the curriculum
- I feel that all the faculty I met on interview day would make amazing mentors
- average age of class is older and there are more non-trads from what I can tell

Cons
- cost will be a decently more than UTSW at ~60k (because I assume I'd pay OOS tuition for the 4th year)
- not as prestigious
- hardly any lectures which I'm not sure how I feel about

UTSW (in-state/prematched)
Pros
- more prestigious
- pretty research focused which I greatly appreciate
- cost would be less than VT
- loved the students and the environment they portrayed on interview day
- Dallas seems like a cool city
- curriculum seems more rigorous but not unnecessarily stress-inducing (based off of students I've talked too)
- clinical facilities/sim center are amazing
- strong general match list

Cons
- larger class size
- average class age is a bit younger, less non-trads
- further from home/support system (but I should be okay lol)
- I'll be an Eagles fan in Dallas so... Jk

Summary: Vermont would be more expensive in the long run but closer to home and is in area of the country where I'd be happier while UTSW seems like an awesome option in general (I'm pretty intimidated though ngl). Both schools would no doubt get me where I want to be someday.

I'd appreciate any and all insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Proximity to family points towards Vermont
Cost points towards UTSW
Match potential points towards UTSW

How much do each of these things matter out of 100%, for example does proximity to family/support network weigh 45%, cost 20%, and match potential 35%? Only you can answer that.

Also some other things I would think about and determine if you even care about them:

Does research matter to you? UTSW is top-tier for research.
Does the patient population you are serving matter to you? I imagine at Parkland you will be working with more underserved folks.
Does the school have a residency program/department for the speciality or specialties I may be interested in? Not all schools do.
Are you interested in going down the academic medicine route as a physician or do you see yourself in private practice/community setting?

Reactions: 1 user
Proximity to family points towards Vermont
Cost points towards UTSW
Match potential points towards UTSW

How much do each of these things matter out of 100%, for example does proximity to family/support network weigh 45%, cost 20%, and match potential 35%? Only you can answer that.

Also some other things I would think about and determine if you even care about them:

Does research matter to you? UTSW is top-tier for research.
Does the patient population you are serving matter to you? I imagine at Parkland you will be working with more underserved folks.
Does the school have a residency program/department for the speciality or specialties I may be interested in? Not all schools do.
Are you interested in going down the academic medicine route as a physician or do you see yourself in private practice/community setting?
Putting things that way, UTSW pulls ahead as the better option for me at the moment. Specifically, its opportunities to explore academic medicine and its affiliated hospital systems. At the end of the day, I've lived away from family for a long time and I could manage a few more years if it means attending a less expensive institution with such awesome opportunities. Also, it's reassuring to know I'll have UTSW's MS0 weekend to confirm if I vibe well with other entering medical students (which I hope is the case).

Thank you for taking the time to break this down; I'm realizing now that this choice might have been more clear-cut than I initially thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Don’t underestimate the value of proximity to family, especially if you are planning to start a family during med school or have a partner who also needs to be close to family.
2. VT has home programs in many fields, and with a small class size, you have I obstructed access to faculty and research opportunities.
You can definitely match to ANY specialty, and having home programs in stuff like ophtho and derm can be great.
3. Did you mean $60k per year (significant) or $60k total? Because $60k total is negligible in the long run.
To me, it comes down to whether you prefer a big city with very warm weather farther from family, or a small city with colder weather closer to family.

1. Don’t underestimate the value of proximity to family, especially if you are planning to start a family during med school or have a partner who also needs to be close to family.
2. VT has home programs in many fields, and with a small class size, you have I obstructed access to faculty and research opportunities.
You can definitely match to ANY specialty, and having home programs in stuff like ophtho and derm can be great.
3. Did you mean $60k per year (significant) or $60k total? Because $60k total is negligible in the long run.
To me, it comes down to whether you prefer a big city with very warm weather farther from family, or a small city with colder weather closer to family.
Ultimately it would be around 60k more to attend Vermont overall and by "closer proximity to family" I'm talking around 6hrs by car vs a 3hr plane ride away.

UVM has always struck me as a very non-trad friendly school (do you feel this is the case?) and the values of the program do line well with my own. UTSW's focuses do as well, it's just a bigger school with a lot more going on and I'm genuinely not sure how I feel about that.

I'm going to do myself a favor and hold onto both acceptances so I can visit each school and weigh all the pros and cons properly. I appreciate the perspective, thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Best of luck! I’m sure you would do well at either program.