New York's Poorest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zephyrnyc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New York's "Poorest"? Give me a break. Take a walk in Harlem/the Bronx/sections of Brooklyn or Queens. Then tell me who "New York's Poorest" are.

Members don't see this ad :)
New York's "Poorest"? Give me a break. Take a walk in Harlem/the Bronx/sections of Brooklyn or Queens. Then tell me who "New York's Poorest" are.

You obviously aren't from New York City. "New York's Poorest" refers to New York City employees, e.g. New York's Finest = NYPD, New York's Bravest = FDNY Firefighters, New York's Strongest = Department of Sanitation, New York's Boldest = Department of Corrections, etc. I was born in Manhattan and grew up in Brooklyn. Obviously, the unfortunate homeless and/or unemployed people will literally be "New York's poorest"...

You obviously aren't from New York City. "New York's Poorest" refers to New York City employees, e.g. New York's Finest = NYPD, New York's Bravest = FDNY Firefighters, New York's Strongest = Department of Sanitation, New York's Boldest = Department of Corrections, etc. I was born in Manhattan and grew up in Brooklyn. Obviously, the unfortunate homeless and/or unemployed people will literally be "New York's poorest"...

I just think it's disingenuous to call someone with a salary and a pension and health benefits one of the "poorest." It minimizes the plight of those who have none of the above.

At the same time, they aren't able to hire as many new EMTs because the pay is so bad, so this will become a public health issue sooner or later. In the article it tells about people being punished for not taking mandatory overtime.

I just think it's disingenuous to call someone with a salary and a pension and health benefits one of the "poorest." It minimizes the plight of those who have none of the above.

Actually, I'm sincerely concerned about the plight of homeless people in NYC and elsewhere. I didn't mean to belittle their situation.

At the same time, they aren't able to hire as many new EMTs because the pay is so bad, so this will become a public health issue sooner or later. In the article it tells about people being punished for not taking mandatory overtime.

True that. As soon as I found out about the shortage in another report, I emailed ALL of my local and state officials, certain federal officials, even going up to the White House, about this.

We are so reactive. Sadly, in my opinion, the next time we will get serious about EMT/Paramedic retention and recruitment is AFTER the next MCI.

Don't FDNY EMT's receive the same pay as firefighters?

Nope, EMTs make less. Starting base salary for a FDNY F/F is $36,400, not including fringe benefits (such as OT, holiday pay, etc.). A FDNY Paramedic's starting salary is SLIGHTLY higher, at $37,346.

Hmm...I am from NY...I was talking with a FDNY EMS EMT and he said starting pay for a new EMT-B is 20-25$ an hour. Not bad for a college student. I have yet to verify this information, though.

20$/hr at 40 hrs a week for 52 weeks is $41,000.

So if they are making $28,000 a year, that's not 20-25$/hr.

20$/hr at 40 hrs a week for 52 weeks is $41,000.

So if they are making $28,000 a year, that's not 20-25$/hr.

Exactly, it comes out to $41,600, which is way more than what Paramedics and Firefighters make in the FDNY, without OT of course. I heard that OT is mandatory for EMTs though.

I think you are taking a tongue-in-cheek definition too seriously. No paramedics think they make less than unemployed people.

Starting pay for FDNY emt is around 18-20 a hour.
forced ot prob be making like 35-40 a year.

pay union dues and such

I promise you they are not paying EMT's more than Medics. FDNY ems are not considered civil servants, and do no get the same benifits as the FDNY guys do, plus alot of the fire gusy to time trades to work 24's instead of 12's.

I promise you they are not paying EMT's more than Medics. FDNY ems are not considered civil servants, and do no get the same benifits as the FDNY guys do, plus alot of the fire gusy to time trades to work 24's instead of 12's.

from

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/community/ems_faq_042607.shtml#civil

"How can a new Paramedic or EMT get permanent civil service status?
Answer:Paramedics and EMTs may apply to take a civil service exam during open filing periods. Information pertaining to a permanent civil service appointment can be found on the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) Web site and the FDNY Web site during the filing period.
Required forms can be downloaded from the DCAS Web site (www.nyc.gov/dcas) during the filing period. "