Newb Q: Is pharm school M-F 9-5p?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Grasshopper 88

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wasn't sure if I should post this in pre-pharm or pharm, but it's a random question for current pharmacy students.

What days/hours is actual class and lab times for pharm school? I'm assuming it varies by school, but I've heard MWF, MW, etc. Just curious as I micro-plan my life 🙂 Thanks!!!
 
Wasn't sure if I should post this in pre-pharm or pharm, but it's a random question for current pharmacy students.

What days/hours is actual class and lab times for pharm school? I'm assuming it varies by school, but I've heard MWF, MW, etc. Just curious as I micro-plan my life 🙂 Thanks!!!
You'll have a better chance to micro-plan your life when you get your schedule during orientation. There's no sense in micro-speculating, since every school really is different like you said.

Our classes are normally M-F, with classes starting at 8 or 9, and normally ending at 2 pm, unless a lab or similar runs till about 5 pm (which is normally at least once a week, but sometimes 3x/wk, depending on the week). There's no hard and fast schedule for each semester for us, which is why organization is key to being successful in pharmacy school.

Also, attendance at my school is "mandatory" per our student handbook, so if you miss more than 20% of a particular class, they can drop you from the program.

But, this is just my school.
 
Wasn't sure if I should post this in pre-pharm or pharm, but it's a random question for current pharmacy students.

What days/hours is actual class and lab times for pharm school? I'm assuming it varies by school, but I've heard MWF, MW, etc. Just curious as I micro-plan my life 🙂 Thanks!!!

No one has a MWF schedule that I know of. Class is M-F. How much time is spent on campus varies though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At my school it was Monday-Thursday 9AM-1PM with labs in the afternoon that go to 5PM on some days. Friday was no school unless there are exams.

That sounds pretty nice, I wouldn't mind that set up. I believe mine will be 5 days a week, probably MWF being a bit heavier than TR according to some P2s although the schedules change greatly year from year from what I hear. I'm used to 5 days a week about 8-1 so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.
 
That sounds pretty nice, I wouldn't mind that set up. I believe mine will be 5 days a week, probably MWF being a bit heavier than TR according to some P2s although the schedules change greatly year from year from what I hear. I'm used to 5 days a week about 8-1 so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.

It's actually 9-12 because 12-1 is lunch hour.
 
Lunch is always 12-1.
Classes start at either 8 or 9 depending on the day. Some days we have long breaks between morning/afternoon classes. We are done everyday by 2 or 3 except for pharmaceutics lab days that run til 5(ish).

Attendance is only mandatory for patient assessment LAB, pharmaceutics lab, and IPPE. The rest you don't have to go to if you don't want to, except on test days. But, really, there are only a few students who skip class all the time. Nobody likes to miss classes like Infectious Disease or Pharmacogenetics because there is a lot of material covered and the topics are interesting. I could go without the pharmacy practice class but we have quizzes every week 👎
 
That sounds pretty nice, I wouldn't mind that set up. I believe mine will be 5 days a week, probably MWF being a bit heavier than TR according to some P2s although the schedules change greatly year from year from what I hear. I'm used to 5 days a week about 8-1 so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.


:laugh:
 

I mean in terms of general schedule, ahahaha. I get an ulcer just thinking about the demand of the classes, believe me I'm not cocky enough to think its going to be a walk in the park. :scared: Heck even the schedule itself will be a shock I'm sure, since breaks etc will be different.

Oh man... baby steps. Baby steps.
 
I mean in terms of general schedule, ahahaha. I get an ulcer just thinking about the demand of the classes, believe me I'm not cocky enough to think its going to be a walk in the park. :scared: Heck even the schedule itself will be a shock I'm sure, since breaks etc will be different.

Oh man... baby steps. Baby steps.


Sorry dude - I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. I remember when I was in your shoes and couldn't pass up the opportunity to have a little fun. Plus that line did crack me up. It's tough, but you will get through it. You can even have a little fun doing it. 😉

Here is some interesting info about ulcers. Contrary to the popular sayings, they are not usually caused by stress.
 
every school is DIFFERENT.

Many times you dont need to go to class, just study on your own.
 
every school is DIFFERENT.

Many times you dont need to go to class, just study on your own.


Completely agree, I went to class more often as an undergrad then currently as a pharm student.

Sometimes the situation is even class specific, with some classes having professors who give worthwhile lectures, yet having other classes where the professor just reads PowerPoint slides. What always amuses me are the students who bother to wake up in the morning to attend class, yet they are on facebook/youtube/cnn etc during lecture... never really understood that...
 
Sorry dude - I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. I remember when I was in your shoes and couldn't pass up the opportunity to have a little fun. Plus that line did crack me up. It's tough, but you will get through it. You can even have a little fun doing it. 😉

Here is some interesting info about ulcers. Contrary to the popular sayings, they are not usually caused by stress.

Haha no prob. Yeah that's the sweet spot: to have fun while working extremely hard. 👍

Yeah, I knew that about ulcers. 😀 I remember reading a story about a researcher that proved that ulcers were caused by bacteria by drinking a beaker of them and beaming when he actually developed ulcers.
http://discovermagazine.com/2010/mar/07-dr-drank-broth-gave-ulcer-solved-medical-mystery
Crazy... but that's what science is. Crazy.
 
Completely agree, I went to class more often as an undergrad then currently as a pharm student.

Sometimes the situation is even class specific, with some classes having professors who give worthwhile lectures, yet having other classes where the professor just reads PowerPoint slides. What always amuses me are the students who bother to wake up in the morning to attend class, yet they are on facebook/youtube/cnn etc during lecture... never really understood that...

There have been a few classes where I only attended 1st day, midterm, and final and did well (undergrad and rx school).

As for the FB, news, etc thing...i think it keeps me awake, i'll end up dozing off and i retain information better when my mind is active. besides, we assign one person in the group to pay attention and take notes for any given lecture.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There have been a few classes where I only attended 1st day, midterm, and final and did well (undergrad and rx school).

As for the FB, news, etc thing...i think it keeps me awake, i'll end up dozing off and i retain information better when my mind is active. besides, we assign one person in the group to pay attention and take notes for any given lecture.


Thus far the PowerPoint slides and notes are enough for me to grasp the given information, but in the few times that I DID need to listen to the lecture, I would just download the podcast and play it in VLC at 1.5x normal speed, I usually end up getting through the lecture in under 40 mins. But granted these are the easier courses, I can't see myself doing this once therapeutics comes along.
 
Thus far the PowerPoint slides and notes are enough for me to grasp the given information, but in the few times that I DID need to listen to the lecture, I would just download the podcast and play it in VLC at 1.5x normal speed, I usually end up getting through the lecture in under 40 mins. But granted these are the easier courses, I can't see myself doing this once therapeutics comes along.

P&T isn't recorded, I try not to multitask too much in there, you'll never know when the professor will call you out by name and ask you a question. Don't wanna look like an idiot with your mouth hanging open or get caught saying something really stupid.

This whole <75 people in your class thing still takes some getting used to. I'm still used to being the random anonymous guy in a class of 550 who can nap with impunity.
 
Completely agree, I went to class more often as an undergrad then currently as a pharm student.

Sometimes the situation is even class specific, with some classes having professors who give worthwhile lectures, yet having other classes where the professor just reads PowerPoint slides. What always amuses me are the students who bother to wake up in the morning to attend class, yet they are on facebook/youtube/cnn etc during lecture... never really understood that...

I was one of the students who went to class and did the crossword. Doing something active helped me pay attention. Not everyone understands things at the same pace- some are faster and some are slower.

This was a complaint that came up every year at our student-faculty forum. It drove the professors nuts when students were disruptive with their other activities (computer games sitting in the middle of the classroom) but some understood that it helped some students and didn't mind if it wasn't disruptive. Of course, we did have to learn what professors would never tolerate that behavior and do our best to avoid it. I generally didn't go to those classes because I would just have a horrible time trying to pay attention as they re-taught concepts I understood the first time.