elendil

15+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2002
Lufkin, Tx
Visit site
Status
Well I must say that I am glad I found this place. Im currently in xray school and wil be graduating in about 7 months,afterwhich I will begin my premedical studies in earnest. I am curious, as I'm 27 at the moment, how old are some of you have have just been accepted? Im looking to be no older than 30 when I get accepted.

Lance

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
California
Status
Attending Physician
There are many "nontraditional" students accepted to DO schools. A friend and former classmate of mine (maysqrd to you sdners) was accepted to TUCOM at an age older than 25 ;) . You'll have to ask her if you want to know how old she actually is :) . But seriously, as long as you understand that the only drawback to being older is that you will have fewer years to practice medicine. At 27-30 I see no problem with you applying. As long as you have a good application, most DO schools won't care about your age.

Good Luck,

WannabeDO

DuckeyDO

15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Status
Lance,

I just wanted to show support for a fellow x-ray tech. I am also an x-ray tech (Special Procedures, actually). I have applications out this cycle and I just turned 31 this month. You have plenty of time.

Good Luck!!

MCWIHEA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2001
Kansas City
Visit site
Status
Lance,
I am 27 yrs old and will be 28 when I start school next year. I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of non-trads that there are. It is great! If you haven't read this site below, it's a really good one for this subject. You shouldn't worry about your age at all if this is really what you want to do.

http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~mikeg/medschool.html

marleybfour

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2001
Boynton Beach, Fl.
Visit site
Status
I am 40 and applying now. I think after a certain age ( around 35) the age thing does become a detriment. You don't need to worry about that at all......you are still a baby. Oh hell, you're all just babies to me! ( except for Toejam.)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good luck and welcome.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 12, 2002
35 miles from Pomona
Visit site
Status
marleybfour! You gave me away!

I'm going to be 41 next week and I have an interview with Western on 11/14. Not only that, but I've already gone through 4 years of podiatry school and a one year residency. I'm sure I'll be in the top ten oldsters in my class.

Age is a concept.

marleybfour

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2001
Boynton Beach, Fl.
Visit site
Status
Congrats toejam on the interview. I wil keep my fingers crossed and send good thoughts for you on the 14th!!!

I still haven't heard from my first choice, Nova even though my file has been complete for a month now. I constantly call home from work to see if there are any messages for me. It's so frustrating!!

Toejam, did you apply to any MD programs?

Fenrezz

AT Stills Worst Nightmare
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Ft. Tulsadale
Status
I just turned 31 and I'm a first year med student. Whether I'll be a second year at 32 is a whole 'nother ball game. :D

njdesi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Status
Geez guys, you all make me feel very young - I am a single 25 year old women from NJ applying to DO school. I thought I was "old" but now I feel like I am still in infancy!

kappapiomega

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2002
California/Tennessee
Visit site
Status
I can't even drink legally and have been accepted to UHS! Talk about a baby. I look forward to attending school with you non trad students, because you have had a lot of life experiences and can hopefully impart some good wisdom on this 20 year old DO to be. HAHA!! Good luck and hopefully I will see some of you next year!

Vanessa

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2002
in hell
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i feel old, but thats because when I walk around at school I sometimes feel Im at a high school the way some of the freshman and sophmores look.

Im 24 (turn 25 in a little over a month) and applying to DO schools now.

I guess the oldest person I have ever had classes with was this 84 year old german physist or nuclearphysist. He came back to school to learn and study spanish and some other history classes.