newbie question RE: full time post bacc finaid

Started by jintonic5
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jintonic5

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey everyone,
i've been on this site for a while, i've only recently started to think about finaid. i'm graduating in december (hallelujah! finally!), but was planning on taking a full courseload next semester at UmassBoston. My parents don't want to support me next semester, so i need to find out about loans that will cover my tuition and living expenses.

Where do i start?

sorry if it's kind of a dumb question, but i'd like to get some advice from the pros 🙂 thanks guys!
 
jintonic5 said:
hey everyone,
i've been on this site for a while, i've only recently started to think about finaid. i'm graduating in december (hallelujah! finally!), but was planning on taking a full courseload next semester at UmassBoston. My parents don't want to support me next semester, so i need to find out about loans that will cover my tuition and living expenses.

Where do i start?

sorry if it's kind of a dumb question, but i'd like to get some advice from the pros 🙂 thanks guys!


As I quote from my FinAid application info packet for the 04-05 academic year:

Eligible graduate students may borrow up to $18 500 per academic year from the Federal Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan programs. Depending upon financial need, up to $8 500 may borrowed from the Federal Stafford Subsidized Loan Program.

The combined subsidized/unsubsidized aggregate loan limit is $138 500 (not more than $65 000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans). This aggregate loan amount includes any Federal Stafford Loans (Guaranteed Student Loans) received as an undergraduate and/or graduate student


What that means for you, (assuming undergrad didn't cost you $138K) The Fed will cover you for $18 500/year; anything more than that you gotta borrow privately. Here's where it gets tricky. Either the school or the Fed(doubt it) has a completely fictional # called the "Cost of Education" Say that amount is only $3K over the $18 500; you can only borrow another $3K, 'cause you can't borrow more than their "Cost of Education" value. If you've gotta car payment or insurance (like most non-traditionals) or any other expense; this isn't considered, and pretty much falls on apathetic ears. I would pretty much call UMass Boston's FinAid office and ask what their Cost of Education is, or what they consider it. 🙄 You can ask about loans to choose from, but I wouldn't worry about it; 'cause they'll have all that information by basically being a referral service to various lenders. I would then do this math:

Cost of Education - Tuition/Fees = What you've got left.

*Can you live off that during your academic term? It gets interesting when you can't.

I'm no FinAid rep, so I'm no expert; maybe UMass has got some better answers or solutions for you; so give 'em a call. That was just my experience this year (I'm attending the one-year Post-Bacc @ LECOM)

Well, if you or anyone else has any questions, don't hesitate to give me a PM. I'll try to reply as soon as I can, we just finished Genetics and Biochem; but will begin the almighty Physiology later today (If you're wondering on post-time, just got back from partying; yey-yay!)

-Bert
 
Yeah you need to be extremely careful with this because this happened to me. I too needed extra money and was not able to get it. Needless to say, I do live at home and have a husband willing to pay my car bill. Nevetheless, what the above poster said is right. You can only take the educational amount out for financial aid.

At my school I am considered a 5th year student, which really didnt get me much, a measely 10.5K for a private school that costs 20K, so i needed to take out the rest privately.

One thing my financial aid office did tell me was that if I wanted the amount increased (loan wise) I needed show an electric bill and lease agreement. Car payment bill will not cut it. They want to see you are totally indepenent and need the money to live 100% on your own.

So, if you live with mom and dad, you are out of the game, but if you rent an apt then you may be in luck with getting extra cash.

This may depend on schools though. getting around the money aspect especially at our age is hard, at 18 years old (which is who you will be sitting in class with most of the time) there are no cares in the world. At 24 or 25 you are living a whole new lifestyle. Hang in there, you will find a way

Good luck!