Newbie Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHoneyBee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post. I have some questions that I was hoping that someone could help me with. I am hoping to apply for this summer but I am taking a couple prereq's this summer and the august MCAT's. Should I send my application out before I finish the classes and the MCAT's before I apply?
I was also wondering about shadowing a DO. I spoke with someone at AOA and they said that DO's will rarely agree to shadowing because of privacy issues and they will usually interview you for a letter of recommendation. Is this true? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

DrHoneyBee said:
Hi, this is my first post. I have some questions that I was hoping that someone could help me with. I am hoping to apply for this summer but I am taking a couple prereq's this summer and the august MCAT's. Should I send my application out before I finish the classes and the MCAT's before I apply?
I was also wondering about shadowing a DO. I spoke with someone at AOA and they said that DO's will rarely agree to shadowing because of privacy issues and they will usually interview you for a letter of recommendation. Is this true? Thanks in advance!

If you decide to take the late MCAT, then you should still send in your primary application in June (AACOMAS), and it's likely that you'll be able to submit some of your secondaries before getting the August scores back. However, make sure that you indicate that it's okay for AAMC to release your scores to AACOMAS, and make sure you indicate on your primaries that you'll have scores in October. Also, send in your secondaries THE NEXT DAY, because you'll be battling an influx of August MCATers for interviews. Do that, and you should be okay.

About the LOR from a DO: I'm not sure who you spoke to, but it's not been my experience that DOs won't let you shadow because of privacy. Most are very open to it. Mine even let me write out orders!
Try to shadow in the hospital, not the clinic. You'll see more.

DrHoneyBee said:
My family physician, a DO, would not let me shadow because of HIPPA (privacy). He agreed to write me a letter after less than fifteen minutes of question and answer --- interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
The D.O. I shadowed let his nurse go home one night while I was there --- I learned how to give IM injections that night. ;) The only trouble I had with my D.O. was getting him to write my letter - so start shadowing early so that you have PLENTY of time to get the letter! I didn't get my letter until Thanksgiving and I started shadowing in August!

mj1878 said:
If you decide to take the late MCAT, then you should still send in your primary application in June (AACOMAS), and it's likely that you'll be able to submit some of your secondaries before getting the August scores back. However, make sure that you indicate that it's okay for AAMC to release your scores to AACOMAS, and make sure you indicate on your primaries that you'll have scores in October. Also, send in your secondaries THE NEXT DAY, because you'll be battling an influx of August MCATers for interviews. Do that, and you should be okay.

Thanks for the advice. What about the classes, I won't have all of my prereq's finished by June...should I wait for the grades in August?

DrHoneyBee said:
Thanks for the advice. What about the classes, I won't have all of my prereq's finished by June...should I wait for the grades in August?

Send your application early no matter what. It takes a long time to process, and the MCAT and new transcripts can be sent directly to the schools, avoiding processing time for those materials.

OSUdoc08 said:
Send your application early no matter what. It takes a long time to process, and the MCAT and new transcripts can be sent directly to the schools, avoiding processing time for those materials.

Hi, I wanted to throw my two cents worth in. As far as shadowing, keep in mind that even though a lot of allo and osteo schools all but require it, it is still to YOUR benefit. Get exposed to as much as you can. Don't only seek out D.O.s. You'll find that HIPPA is an issue, but there are definately exceptions. Individual doctors are good about it, so are places where cheap (or free) labor is needed and appreciated (E.R.s). Personally, I could not get a paid job anywhere without training due to regulations. But several hospitals were very open to me volunteering. So I got my first experience spending a month working (for free) in an E.R. I worked three 12 hour shifts per week. I did the dirty work, but I got to see EVERYTHING! It was AWESOME and a huge confirmation to me. For the last year, I have voluteered once a week in a local volunteer clinic. The physicians let me see anything they do. So you have to look for the exceptions. I am aware that many D.O. programs require a letter from a D.O. I think its a rediculous requirement since the type of doctor you become will not be effected (much) by the initials after your name. I applied and was accepted to GA-PCOM with no letter from a D.O. So there are schools out there that don't require it. Good luck!

Spankete87 said:
The D.O. I shadowed let his nurse go home one night while I was there --- I learned how to give IM injections that night. ;) The only trouble I had with my D.O. was getting him to write my letter - so start shadowing early so that you have PLENTY of time to get the letter! I didn't get my letter until Thanksgiving and I started shadowing in August!

Wow, thats cool that you had such a great experience. Thanks for the heads up about shadowing early.

I finally got ahold of a DO that will let me shadow. The nurse told me that he will interview me one evening for a couple of hours and then I will come in for one day to shadow. Is this typical? What kind of questions do they usually asks?

GAdoc said:
Hi, I wanted to throw my two cents worth in. As far as shadowing, keep in mind that even though a lot of allo and osteo schools all but require it, it is still to YOUR benefit. Get exposed to as much as you can. Don't only seek out D.O.s. You'll find that HIPPA is an issue, but there are definately exceptions. Individual doctors are good about it, so are places where cheap (or free) labor is needed and appreciated (E.R.s). Personally, I could not get a paid job anywhere without training due to regulations. But several hospitals were very open to me volunteering. So I got my first experience spending a month working (for free) in an E.R. I worked three 12 hour shifts per week. I did the dirty work, but I got to see EVERYTHING! It was AWESOME and a huge confirmation to me. For the last year, I have voluteered once a week in a local volunteer clinic. The physicians let me see anything they do. So you have to look for the exceptions. I am aware that many D.O. programs require a letter from a D.O. I think its a rediculous requirement since the type of doctor you become will not be effected (much) by the initials after your name. I applied and was accepted to GA-PCOM with no letter from a D.O. So there are schools out there that don't require it. Good luck!

I have been trying to start volunteering at a local hospital for about a month (people went on vacation, etc), but I think next week I should be able to start. I asked to be in ER but they put me in pediatrics. They said that it is hard to fit people in the ER. Perhaps I will try to see if another hospital can fit me into ER. Thanks for the advice!

DrHoneyBee said:
I have been trying to start volunteering at a local hospital for about a month (people went on vacation, etc), but I think next week I should be able to start. I asked to be in ER but they put me in pediatrics. They said that it is hard to fit people in the ER. Perhaps I will try to see if another hospital can fit me into ER. Thanks for the advice!

It may be where you live, but the ER's in my area were always in need of volunteers.

=Hi,

I am ina similar situation.. I'll be applying in June but will not finish my summer classes until the end of august.. both are science classes and I want them to be seen by the DO schools before deciding whether to send me a secondary or not.. I'm just afriad they will not be able to take notice of my summer classes while reviewing my primaries.. putting me at a disadvantage.. what do you all thnk..usually hjow long do they take to review primaries..?

Also... is it possible to directly send in LOR just like sending MCAT and course grades directly to the school AFTER applying?

THanks

kev1n said:
=Hi,

I am ina similar situation.. I'll be applying in June but will not finish my summer classes until the end of august.. both are science classes and I want them to be seen by the DO schools before deciding whether to send me a secondary or not.. I'm just afriad they will not be able to take notice of my summer classes while reviewing my primaries.. putting me at a disadvantage.. what do you all thnk..usually hjow long do they take to review primaries..?

Also... is it possible to directly send in LOR just like sending MCAT and course grades directly to the school AFTER applying?

THanks

This is the preferred method, actually.

so the LOR go with secondaries.. or are they just sent directly after applying?
sorry for newbie quesitons. thanks though

Is your goal to get clinical experience and get an LOR or to do all of that and be in the Adult ER?

I spent time in a Peds ER and Adult ER. Things seem a little laid back in the Peds ER and as long as it is not summer the residents and attendings usually have more time for you.

DrHoneyBee said:

read the timeline thread and possibly the FAQ if you have not already.

You can start sending LORs to schools of your choice as soon as AACOMAS opens up for the application season which is usually in may/june. I think a couple schools prefer that you hold off on that, but I'm not certain. When ACCOMAS notifies of the date they will open for the new application season you may start calling admin offices to confirm it's ok to send LORs.

kev1n said:
so the LOR go with secondaries.. or are they just sent directly after applying?
sorry for newbie quesitons. thanks though