Newcastle University Research Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResearchStudyQuery

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Postgraduate student from the School of Computing Science at Newcastle University, United Kingdom. I am very interested in the care and well-being of adolescents in Palliative and End of Life Care, and am currently sourcing participants for an innovative research study on how Teenagers create lasting legacies.

This may involve doing something good for others, leaving gifts, creating new memories, reminiscing, or making things to be remembered by (such as letter writing, scrapbooking, or video diaries). In adult populations, 'legacy making' activities have been shown to increase patients’ sense of dignity, purpose, meaning, and will to live, while decreasing suffering and depressive symptoms. In teens, it has been empirically proven to improve emotional functioning, and has been advocated by both parents and professionals.

The study aims to find out how adolescents create or do things to be remembered by. I hope to use the information from this research to improve the outcomes of teens in Palliative Care, by developing a mobile app that will enhance their experiences of legacy making, and access to these activities, whilst providing a more age appropriate platform.

I am inviting all professionals, with current or past experience of working directly with adolescents in Palliative or End of Life care to complete a quick ten minute survey. (NB - due to Ethical Approval procedures within the University, participants must not be employed by the UK NHS).

The online survey takes just 10 minutes to complete and can be found here:

https://newcastle.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/legacy-making-professionals

I would appreciate it hugely if you could fill in the survey or pass this information onto relevant colleagues. The information I gather from these will be of huge value.

Best wishes

Members don't see this ad.