Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Newcomer to the boards

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by yawmin, Mar 15, 2004.

1. yawmin

yawmin Junior Member

Hello all, this would be my first post on these boards. Like so many of you, I'm going to be trying to get into med school in the next year or two. I've been looking over the posts and generally I have hope about my chances of success, although with a renewed sense of gravity about my situation.

I graduated a comp sci major from Stanford - at the height of the tech bust. My grades were no better than average, mostly Bs and Cs. After that, though, I got into a radiology tech program at a community college and am about to finish that up now. I am doing pretty well in that.

Essentially, I intend to retake a full year of bio with lab, physics, and ochem with lab (I believe I have already covered the chem requirements), plus a couple of calculus and english classes. Then I'll hit up the MCAT in April 2005 (I am aware I won't be finished with all the necessary material, but I have already begun studying.) I realize the key to a successful admission at my point is probably doing well on the MCAT.

My question - probably the same as many other newbies to the board - is how feasible is this? Am I just wasting my time? Let me just say I am serious about this - if I have a chance at getting in, I'm going to take it. I don't want to regret anything later by not trying. Also, where would the best place to find an official premed advisor be, since I have already completed undergrad?

Thanks for your time in reading this long post and any replies you have.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    we probably dont have enough information to judge your competitiveness. However, applicants with sub-par undergrad GPAs that aced their MCATs and postbacc programs tend to fare well in the application process.

In fact this person seems to be exactly like you (tech from stanford, subpar undergrade gpa, did a postbacc, aced mcat)

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1

i think he's the guy that created that site.

good luck.

4. Mr. Rosewater

Mr. Rosewater Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

feasability is directly proportional to persistence and determination. if you REALLY want it, you can do it.

5. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with Rosewater. You can do this. Just put one foot in front of the other, you'll reach your goal eventually. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me, I did a post-bacc thingy too. And Welcome!

6. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    in all honestly...i think sdn can be your premed advisor.
    ive never had to go see a premed advisor ever and i have gained tremendous amounts of information on sdn.

outside of some of the people who post stupid unproductive posts, for the most part there will be people here to answer your question.

good luck on the prereqs...

7. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

my premed advisors sucked.

8. dtreese

dtreese Caramel Gollum
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmmm, let's see. This sounds familiar.

I had a less than spectacular undergrad GPA, so I retook my prereqs & got a good MCAT score. Is it feasible? Look down at my sig. Go for it!!! :clap:

Oh, and welcome to SDN! Stop by the lounge -- I swear we're not insane.

9. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi yawmin,

I would say be wary of paid premed counselors. I haven't heard that many good things, and at the very least, the community here knows just as much, if not more, than they do, plus it's free.

Is there any way you can still deal with Stanford's premed/career planning office? I know at my undergrad, they will do almost everything they do for undergrads for alums too.

SDN + Stanford premed office = solid gold.

10. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Speak for yourself :p

11. lukeday99

lukeday99 Nooby
    7+ Year Member

I did this very thing, as a post-bac, and let me speak to it a bit. I would recomend that unless you are naturally very adept at science and can really take a ****ter of a workload, do the post bac thing as two years, or at least a year and a half. It takes awhile to adjust to the "vocabulary" of science work. I got my butt kicked initially, and it hurts my chances of being able to apply to the Dartmouths, Stanfords, etc, the only reason I got in anywhere was because of exceptional undergrad grades and a boatload of clinical experience. Get this, if you can. So be ready to get your butt whupped up on, because taking even a couple of these classes together is hard, there is a reason most pre-meds stretch them out over four years. And as for the MCAT in April, that's a patent absurdity. You'll still be working on electromagnetism and circuits in physics, and most all of your O-Chem syntheses and reactions in O-Chem. My pre-med advisor said that every post-bac who has taken the April MCAT while in the process of their yhear has not only failed amazingly, but screwed up their classes as well. I promise you, I am giving you my own hard earned advice here. If you can deal with stretching it out, do so. Its a big patience game, this getting into med school. I think you'd be much better served beforehand making sure your basic algebra skills are pretty solid, cause Gen Chem is all calculations.

All that said, if you have passion and drive, forget everything which I've said. Work your tushy off, stay focussed, take good care of yourself. But please, I beg of you, don't do the MCAT at the same time!

Good luck!!!!!!

12. LaurieB

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    On the other hand, if you have a good premed advisor, they are worth their weight in gold. My advisor at the University of Chicago was incredible and I attribute much of my success in this process to his good advice. It was a lot more solid than SDN since he knew his stuff when it came to admissions. I met with him at least once a month from the day I started my postbac work.

13. SoulRFlare

SoulRFlare Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I also have to give props to my pre-prof. advisor. She's been incredibly helpful and supportive throughout this process.
    I did a post bacc thing of sorts, and took the mcat before i finished everything (i was in the middle of physics) I'd suggest deferring english and calc until after the mcat, and take at least physics and a physiology class (I literally finished my physio class about an hour and a half ago, and i think it would have really helped me on the mcat.) try to get some of the ochem in as well, because it is well represented.

I have to agree with the other poster--do this over the course of two years to maximize your success...maybe take the august mcat so that you can sqeeze a bit more course work in. of course people will say it hurts your chances, but I'll offer antectdotal evidence to the contrary (along with a grain or two of salt)...i took the aug test and have gotten into four schools so far. I think how you do on the mcat matters more than when you take it.