Newer SNRIs? for pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macman

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using the newer SNRI's for pain? results? papers?

Pristiq

Fetzima

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pain and psych here -- for some reason, Cymbalta seems to be the best. Effexor does help. I don't have much experience with Savella of Fetzima. Pristiq is excellent for depression/anxiety, but I haven't seen a profound difference in pain.

Reactions: 2 users
Never used them. I recently starting trying savella for fibro patients, typically would only do cymbalta before. But honestly nothing seems to work for fibro patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
O
Pain and psych here -- for some reason, Cymbalta seems to be the best. Effexor does help. I don't have much experience with Savella of Fetzima. Pristiq is excellent for depression/anxiety, but I haven't seen a profound difference in pain.
thank You.

Plus cymbalta is generic.

It is the only SNRI I use as a pain physician.

Savella is quite nauseating, I think it was only marketed for fibromyalgia because the SNRI niche was getting full.

I would hardly call those new; Cymbalta is the most noradrenergic hence why the most pain benefit, however, they all have some pain benefit.

• Hmm
Is anyone using the newer SNRI's for pain? results? papers?

Pristiq

Fetzima

Have not tried due to insurance limitations/cost for patient population

Reg Pristiq: Clinical experience with desvenlafaxine in treatment of pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy
Did not see data on Fetzima

I rotate through them based on side effect profiles but I don't have experience with the newer ones enough to say. I have been slipping in some low dose Abilify and Zyprexa though to augment some of the usual agents with efficacy.

Have not tried due to insurance limitations/cost for patient population

Reg Pristiq: Clinical experience with desvenlafaxine in treatment of pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy
Did not see data on Fetzima

I rotate through them based on side effect profiles but I don't have experience with the newer ones enough to say. I have been slipping in some low dose Abilify and Zyprexa though to augment some of the usual agents with efficacy.
Are the agents effective because the patients clinical depression is improved and that reduces pain vs working on pain directly?

I would hardly call those new; Cymbalta is the most noradrenergic hence why the most pain benefit, however, they all have some pain benefit.
Cymbalta more noradrenergic than Savella? I was under the impression Savella did little serotonin and mostly NE.

Cymbalta more noradrenergic than Savella? I was under the impression Savella did little serotonin and mostly NE.

Nice Steve. I need to be as resourceful as you. I haven’t used Savella in a while but maybe I should revisit.

Nike Vortex. Blue with shiny gold swoosh.

1658244989690.jpeg

Almost every savella script I’ve written has been denied by insurrance, probably going to give up even trying it.

Never used them. I recently starting trying savella for fibro patients, typically would only do cymbalta before. But honestly nothing seems to work for fibro patients.

Great discussion, thank you everyone for contributing

This is a comparison of relative, rather than absolute, effects. The fact of the matter is venlafaxine, desvenlafaxine, and duloxetine are weak NRIs, as shown by their inefficacy in blunting the tyramine pressor response (see below). I can't comment on milnacipran, because no such study has been conducted with it.

Incidentally, has anyone used atomoxetine for pain?

Figure 3

1658320912947.png
1658320947652.png

Effects of different doses of venlafaxine on serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake in healthy volunteers

antidepressants/ssris disrupt tryptophan catabolism, tripping out salvage NAD+ production, which body has to do to match ATP demands, so it can stay alive. Done through kyneurinine pathway. Result is psychiatric symptoms worsen the longer on these drugs.
i have patients on statins and ssris for 30+ years. cognitively, i would not label these people as sharp.