News from Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I interviewed at Columbia on Jan 17th and got my acceptance e-mail Thursday Jan 23. I'm 75% certain I will decline and attend a different program though. Did you interview yet?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was deciding between Columbia and Northwestern. The open house for Northwestern and the interview for Columbia were back-to-back weekends, so I got a direct comparison.

Program-wise, the two were essentially equal. Everything I liked about Northwestern -- highly respected in the field, prepare students extremely well (more than just passing the NPTE), strong faculty, research opportunities, PT-only cadavers, 24-hour access to lab space, etc. -- Columbia had as well. Columbia does have the advanced tracks, and they offered me a pretty large scholarship, but in the end I didn't think it was worth it to be in New York. I just don't think that I am a good fit in New York City, and I feel location is a HUGE factor because it is the environment I will be in for the next 3 years. I also heard back from Northwestern in early October, so I had pretty much had my mind set on it by the time I went to the Columbia interview three months later. I just wanted to see if visiting the school would change my mind and if they would give me the scholarship that I thought they would because that was a factor in my decision-making process even if I didn't end up choosing it.

Basically, there is nothing wrong with Columbia, I just thought Northwestern was the better fit for me.

Which programs are you deciding between?
 
Sorry for the late reply, but I also got accepted to Stony Brook and I still have another interview. Columbia is definitely the most expensive so I am trying to decide if it is worth the high cost! :-/