Next Step after Undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjt223

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 27 years old, just finishing graduating with a Bachelor's in Chemistry. I am stuck in a predicament in life because I have nowhere to go and can't decide what should I do. So here is a short story:

I have been in school since High School. I have spent 6 years in community college and 3 years in a University. For 6 years in community college, I end up with 2.4 GPA. With University, I have only able to get 2.7 GPA. However, on my last year in University, I was able to get 3.8 GPA which feel encouraging in my part.

During my time in University, I realized I have always want to be a physician and I really want to make the doctor as my life. I have spend last 4 years in medical field by working as an EMTs, volunteering at a local hospital, and working with a non-profit clinic. I can always see myself working as a doctor and made a great positive impact within poor communities.

The issue is I have a very low GPA, have only 2 years in a chemistry research, and no letter of recommendation. I do not know where to start from here. My girlfriend told me to take a break for a year and continue working, but I'm not sure if that is an option as I feel time is ticking for me. What should I do for my step?

Members don't see this ad.

what's your cumulative GPA and science GPA? what was your major and have you taken all the science prerequisites? why do you think you've done poorly in academic coursework in the past? have you taken the MCAT?

Cumulative GPA: 2.7
Science GPA: 2.4

I have taken all chemistry and physics. Only couple biology class, but no upper division. I have not taken a MCAT. Many reasons goes why I have done poorly in academic coursework, but it is mostly immaturity and personal hardship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time is not "ticking". Med school isn't something you have to do now now now, it's something you do when you're ready. And you're not ready. I wasn't either at your age.

The big problem is that that 2.7 is going to get you auto-screened out at many schools, even before your application gets to a human. 3.0 is considered the bare minimum for fighting chance. If you've already completed a bachelor's you're probably sitting on over a hundred credits, which means getting to that 3.0 is going to be a challenge due to diminishing returns. To give you an idea, I started from a 2.7 after my first round of undergrad. After an associate's degree at solid 4.0 and then a complete second bachelor's, I had a 3.2.

That said, it's not impossible, but again it's going to be a challenge. If you haven't taken upper-division biology courses (genetics, cell bio, molecular bio, biochem etc) then there may be room to work. I would get an AMCAS/AACOMAS GPA calculator (there's one that somebody just posted a little bit further down in this forum), plug all your classes in, then plug in phantom As to see exactly how many credit hours you'd need to at least break 3.0. Judge for yourself whether it's worth it there.

After that you need to ask yourself if this is something you're ready for. You've said one of the problems before was immaturity, and it's good that you recognize that, but have you matured? Is your personal life in a place where you can dedicate yourself to medical school? You've got to answer these for yourself as well.

If you do decide to go this route it will take time. More than a year. If you don't feel you're in a place to start it now then take your girlfriend's advice and keep working, straighten life out first. Medical school will be there when you're ready, take it from this 36-year-old M1. It's so much better to pursue this when the rest of your life is stable.

Reactions: 1 users
Time is not "ticking". Med school isn't something you have to do now now now, it's something you do when you're ready. And you're not ready. I wasn't either at your age.

The big problem is that that 2.7 is going to get you auto-screened out at many schools, even before your application gets to a human. 3.0 is considered the bare minimum for fighting chance. If you've already completed a bachelor's you're probably sitting on over a hundred credits, which means getting to that 3.0 is going to be a challenge due to diminishing returns. To give you an idea, I started from a 2.7 after my first round of undergrad. After an associate's degree at solid 4.0 and then a complete second bachelor's, I had a 3.2.

That said, it's not impossible, but again it's going to be a challenge. If you haven't taken upper-division biology courses (genetics, cell bio, molecular bio, biochem etc) then there may be room to work. I would get an AMCAS/AACOMAS GPA calculator (there's one that somebody just posted a little bit further down in this forum), plug all your classes in, then plug in phantom As to see exactly how many credit hours you'd need to at least break 3.0. Judge for yourself whether it's worth it there.

After that you need to ask yourself if this is something you're ready for. You've said one of the problems before was immaturity, and it's good that you recognize that, but have you matured? Is your personal life in a place where you can dedicate yourself to medical school? You've got to answer these for yourself as well.

If you do decide to go this route it will take time. More than a year. If you don't feel you're in a place to start it now then take your girlfriend's advice and keep working, straighten life out first. Medical school will be there when you're ready, take it from this 36-year-old M1. It's so much better to pursue this when the rest of your life is stable.

Thank you. Unfortunately, after calculating all my classes from both community college and university, I would need about 3 or 4 years to get around 3.0-3.1 GPA. So I have a long road to get that GPA. I believe I am fully matured now and ready to dedicate myself to medical school. I am ready to commit to reestablish myself and showed them I have turn around.

By the way, I most likely get a second bachelor's to establish this feat. What would you recommend to select as a second major? Should I go to a biology / bio-chemistry course or something different? My first bachelor's is chemistry so I am basically done with physical science.

Thanks.

Thank you. Unfortunately, after calculating all my classes from both community college and university, I would need about 3 or 4 years to get around 3.0-3.1 GPA. So I have a long road to get that GPA. I believe I am fully matured now and ready to dedicate myself to medical school. I am ready to commit to reestablish myself and showed them I have turn around.

By the way, I most likely get a second bachelor's to establish this feat. What would you recommend to select as a second major? Should I go to a biology / bio-chemistry course or something different? My first bachelor's is chemistry so I am basically done with physical science.

Thanks.

Your major doesn't matter. Many people do Biology simply because it's the path of least resistance where pre-reqs are concerned, but you can major in Music and nobody will care long as you get in the classes you need and then wreck the MCAT. Non-science majors are actually becoming increasingly common as medical schools want more diversity of background in their classes. Major in bio, major in history, whatever. Just keep track of what courses you do need to be getting along the way and do try to take some upper-div bio classes somewhere.

What is important is that from here on out, mediocrity is your enemy. The purpose of another round of school is twofold: 1) Prep for the MCAT and 2) Prove to adcoms that someone who didn't take things seriously before is ready for the rigorous, sustained academic boxing ring that is medical school. The second is by far the harder one to do. Especially knowing that even if you do everything in your power to get together a strong application, you may still be in the 60% of applicants every year who don't get in.

With several years ahead of you, use the time to be building that strong application with things besides grades. Showing adcoms that you want to be in a profession that serves other human beings day in and day out means gearing an entire application towards making that point over a sustained amount of time. If you can get work experience while you're back in school, definitely do it. Get some clinical experience, as you'll need to show not only adcoms but also yourself that you've dealt with sick and vulnerable people, and that you didn't run screaming. Spend time shadowing physicians in different fields if you haven't (I'd encourage you to do some of this before you jump into a second bachelor's) so that you get a glimpse into the lives of doctors and can be sure this is what you want. Volunteer your time in a setting you enjoy, particularly working with the disadvantaged.

Remember that while putting forth a strong academic record is important (and for those of us coming from behind, it is absolutely necessary) there are other aspects to an application. Keep yourself well-rounded. In the end, though grades and MCAT get your application looked at by eyeballs, it's the adcoms' overall "Man, I want to meet this guy/girl!" feeling that gets you called for an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
You're dug yourself into a horrible hole. The only option to maximize your time will be to contact osteopathic schools offering masters programs with linkage to their DO program. Get advice on how to proceed to go this route.

You're dug yourself into a horrible hole. The only option to maximize your time will be to contact osteopathic schools offering masters programs with linkage to their DO program. Get advice on how to proceed to go this route.

I know I have. I dug myself a deep hole. If I really want to this, I really have to dedicate myself for it. This is why I'm asking for advice and if anyone were in my position before.

By the way, is my chance going to MD is impossible now?

Unfortunately, even your chances at DO are probably gone. With a 2.4 sGPA and the incoming competitiveness of SMP programs, there are more chances of not getting into any SMP. However, there are a few programs that are relatively weak and so is their SMP; this will not be the case for any reputable MD level SMP where they will set the bar at a 3.0 minimum.

No, not impossible. BUT and it's a big one... BUT

The path to getting to MD is not going to be easy, or quick.

To me, the best course is to work for a few YEARS, preferably in the medical field. Then take the prereqs over again - all of them: gen chem, orgo, biochem, physics, genetics, mole bio, cell bio, physio... AND the MCAT.

Nail all of those and you have a good shot, IF you get great grades. Think of it like a 10 year plan before you matriculate... I know it seems like a long time but trust me, it flies by... and if you really want to be a doc, the passion to do so will be there, and if not, you've not wasted more time/$$ in school.

Reactions: 1 user