Next step and chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelloDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I am new here, and hoping to ask for some of your opinions on what is expected of me this upcoming year. I would like to thank everyone in advance; I have been lurking around this forum for a while, and every thread has been a great help.

I currently have a Bachelors of Science from Stony Brook University with a degree in Health Science. Despite what the major sounds like, I actually do not have any of the pre reqs for Dental School. In fact, I didn't know I want to be a dentist during undergrad, which is why I didn't take any pre reqs. Now that I have worked a year at a dental office as an assistant, I decided that this is what I want to do! Unfortunately, I know my current grades aren't the greatest.

My Current situation:
- Current Overall GPA (from my Bachelors degree) is around a 2.9x . (This is without any pre reqs // sciences)

- Currently taking Physics 1 and Chemistry 1 at CUNY Hunter, and am anticipating an A in Chemistry 1 and at least a B- in Physics 1.

- I will be taking Chemistry 2 and Lab over the summer

- I plan on transferring to CUNY City Tech in the Fall to finish the remaining pre reqs. (physics 2, Orgo Chem, Bio, Bio Chem)

-DATs during my last semester of pre reqs (whenever that is!)

So my question is, Do you guys think I have the slightest chance of getting in to Dental school with my current situation? My current GPA is what I am most worried about most. Also, will the fact that I am transferring between two different CUNYs look bad to the admissions committee? The main reason why I am transferring is because they offer smaller classes, and I feel like the professor will get to know me more, and therefore, easier to get a recommendation - and plus, learning in a smaller class is better for me.

What are my next steps? If I ace all my pre reqs, will I be able to make it in any schools? If I don't ACE all of them, will it just be impossible to get into any school? I am looking to apply to all the NY schools such as NYU, SBU, Buffalo, Columbia and NJ Rutgers.

Another question is; If I do horrible in a class, would they consider me if I retake the class and do better?

I know I am asking a lot of questions. I am just very nervous for this journey, but I know this is what I want.

Thank you in advance for any of your help. I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a chance? I certainly think its still possible, its not solely based on grades. Your application is composed of other stuff like work history, personal statement, volunteer etc. GPA and DAT are significant, but once again they're not the only factor that will be considered. Assuming you do well for the rest of your prereqs you could probably end up with a higher BCP gpa so keep going

Do you have a chance? I certainly think its still possible, its not solely based on grades. Your application is composed of other stuff like work history, personal statement, volunteer etc. GPA and DAT are significant, but once again they're not the only factor that will be considered. Assuming you do well for the rest of your prereqs you could probably end up with a higher BCP gpa so keep going

Thank you so much for the quick reply and encouraging words. I anticipate to do well on the DAT. I am working hard on my pre reqs right now while working two jobs. What are your thoughts regarding retaking a class if I do bad on the first try (C or lower) and transferring schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're required to retake any prereqs if have a grade lower than a C flat. As for the transfer I don't think it should be too big of a deal? I'm not an adcom, take my advice with a grain of salt.

Have you taken any upper level science courses or other recommended non-science courses for dental schools? Just the straight basics (Gen bio, Gen chem, orgo, biochem, physics) isn't going to cut it amongst the huge pool of those that have taken them and have better GPAs/DAT scores