Next step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decembersea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I just have a few questions, and any help would be appreciated. I've wanted to go into pre-med for a while now, but I was deterred out of highschool, and instead, I became a care taker. So, now at 21, I want to go into pre-med. My questions were, what do I do next? I found my college, but what courses do I take? Also, will there be any time for a minor in a different subject? I just need some general information on where to start and what to do. I'm confused and really don't know who to ask. Thanks. Good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Your school should assign you an advisor. This person's job is to help you plan your four years of classes. A good advisor will also give you some advice about other activities that you can/should do to make your medical school application stronger and to test your interest in medicine as a career. You may major in any subject but you must be sure to take the classes that are required of all medical students at almost all schools (check a few med school websites for a list of courses requried at that school). In short, you are going to need a year of biology, 2 years of chemistry (regular & organic), a year of physics, and at least one course in English composition. Calculus?? I can't remember.... Many people major in Biology or Chemistry but you can major in anything; I've met medical students who majored in Spanish, Sociology, Psychology, Biomedical Engineering, History, English, Architecture, and Music (just to name a few).

You will take the MCAT (admission exam for med school) during your junior year and begin the application process at the end of junior year (June/July). Interviews take place during your senior year and you are admitted in the Spring, shortly before college graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools I've seen require 2yrs of biology(rather than 1), two freshman level courses, and two more advanced ones. Most schools prefer Calculus, but a semester of Advanced Statistics usually suffices as well. Just make sure to take your math courses in the science/math department rather than the business one. No school that I know of accepts business calculus.

Also, while your school's advisor is a good resource, definitely don't count on them. I've had one knowledgeable advisor out of maybe 10 or so over my years in college and going back to school for pre-med. Most of them will be nice, but they just won't offer the best advice. All of my courses were taken at large universities with 30k+ students, so your experience may differ.

Make sure to continue what you've done here and ask questions from your peers and people who have gone through the process in front of you. They will be your best source of info.

Good luck to you. :luck:

OP, with an advisor and a copy of the MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements, which your college should have a copy of) you can investigate what the schools that you are interested in, need. At most schools, if you major in biology or whatever, you will get all of the requirements done and then some. At the university of california, we have to fulfill some general education requirements, so that takes care of needing things like english composition (You just take a years' worth for your degree), foreign language, etc.

Remember that summer session is your friend if you want to ease into doing well in college. Take 12 units your first quarter (like three classes, with labs). This is plenty if those units are coming from Gen Chem, with Lab, Biology I, with lab, and a math class or whatever. Get A's in all of those. Once you've got a feel for it, then add additional stuff. You can worry about Psychology and Anthropology and Underwater Basketweaving in the summer if you need to take those things.

Ignore the gunners. In real life, they are just a garden-variety a-hole. They will tell you that they can take 20 units of really hard upper division science classes, work a full time job, be an all-star athlete and find the cure for cancer all at once. Oh! And did I mention? They don't have to STUDY either. All of this is BS. Worry about yourself. This is the best advice I can give you. Get good grades in the Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math requirements and don't be afraid to use your campus's notetaking service, help from TA's/Professors, free tutoring, etc. An A is an A is an A. Okay?

Best of luck to you! You will figure it out. :luck: