Next steps after second unsuccessful application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archibaldhaddock

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks in advance for reading.

I was just rejected post-II from one of my state schools. While I'm still technically in the running at one of my state schools after interviewing in November, things look a bit grim there as they've already filled half of their class. I have had only rejections or radio silence from the other 18 schools to which I applied.

I'm looking at applying for a third time, and I'm trying to figure out my next steps. Both of my state schools told me that my academics were not the problem after my first unsuccessful cycle two years ago. However, looking over my application, my academics are really the only obvious red flag I can find. The main issues there are a downward trend and a subpar overall GPA.

Freshman GPA: 3.76
Sophomore GPA: 3.38
Junior GPA: 3.51
Senior GPA: 3.09
cGPA: 3.40
sGPA: 3.35

At this point, all of these classes were over five years ago, with several of the base pre-reqs having been taken eight years ago. With that in mind, I have two main questions. Both of these questions assume that I am going to attempt to address my academic record in some capacity.

1. Should I do a DIY postbac or an SMP? A postbac would allow me to continue to work my hospital job, would not require me to move away from home, and would be significantly less expensive. However, from what I have read here, a postbac is often meant more for career changers, rather than GPA repair. Would a full year of 3.9+ing upper-level science classes set admissions committees' minds at ease? Or do I need to prove I can succeed in the rigor of a full-blown SMP?

2. If I can do a postbac, do I need to re-take my prerequisites? Again, from what I have read here, many folks advise re-taking prerequisites after five years or so. However, is that really necessary? I did overall well in all of my actual med school prereqs, and I feel like if I succeed in upper-level classes and the MCAT (which I sadly have to retake, as my very good score will expire this year), that will be a bigger indicator of ability.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just rejected post-II from one of my state schools. While I'm still technically in the running at one of my state schools after interviewing in November, things look a bit grim there as they've already filled half of their class. I have had only rejections or radio silence from the other 18 schools to which I applied.

I'm looking at applying for a third time, and I'm trying to figure out my next steps. Both of my state schools told me that my academics were not the problem after my first unsuccessful cycle two years ago. However, looking over my application, my academics are really the only obvious red flag I can find. The main issues there are a downward trend and a subpar overall GPA.

At this point, all of these classes were over five years ago, with several of the base pre-reqs having been taken eight years ago. With that in mind, I have two main questions. Both of these questions assume that I am going to attempt to address my academic record in some capacity.

1. Should I do a DIY postbac or an SMP? A postbac would allow me to continue to work my hospital job, would not require me to move away from home, and would be significantly less expensive. However, from what I have read here, a postbac is often meant more for career changers, rather than GPA repair. Would a full year of 3.9+ing upper-level science classes set admissions committees' minds at ease? Or do I need to prove I can succeed in the rigor of a full-blown SMP?

2. If I can do a postbac, do I need to re-take my prerequisites? Again, from what I have read here, many folks advise re-taking prerequisites after five years or so. However, is that really necessary? I did overall well in all of my actual med school prereqs, and I feel like if I succeed in upper-level classes and the MCAT (which I sadly have to retake, as my very good score will expire this year), that will be a bigger indicator of ability.
What did you get on the MCAT?

TBH, if both your state schools told you after the 1st app that the issue was not your academics, and you were able to secure interviews for both state schools again during your 2nd app, then it's obvious to me that it's not your academics. It's probably likely your interviewing skills. Have your interviewing skills ever been critiqued? Did you apply only MD or combo in both cycles?

Since you MCAT score will expire before next app cycle, then yes you need to take the MCAT again. What was your 1st MCAT score? If it's competitive and you can duplicate it again or do even better, I don't think you need to do a PB. But if you decide to do a PB, then do a DIY PB with only upper level science courses before the next app cycle.

It might behoove you to pay a service to learn/critique you interviewing skills. It'll be less expensive than a SMP. Apply to MD and more DOs the 3rd time.

Keep at it, and don't be discouraged!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at the school list you posted back in June of 2021, and it needs some work. There are a number of mid/low-tier MD schools, mostly private, that should have been included: MCW, SLU, Oakland, WMich, NYMC, Temple, Wake, VCU, etc.

Your non-clinical volunteering is a bit light. I know you had to work to support yourself, but not everyone looks at that with the same level of understanding.

Your PS, secondaries, and/or interviews may have been subpar. As the applicant you would be the least able to recognize these problems if they exist.

If your MCAT is going to expire then you'll obviously have to retake it. I don't think a postbacc or SMP will help much, as there isn't much need to repair someone who doesn't have concerning academics.

If you really want to punch things up, go do something like AmeriCorps for a year and completely rewrite your narrative.

Reactions: 3 users
What is your MCAT? School list? MD&DO? I doubt that that the state schools are lying when they say academics are not the problem.

I have a great deal of empathy for applicants in this situation, since I know how difficult it is to put yourself out there again after being rejected.

I am not sure whether an SMP is the best way to go. It might put you in a less stressful position to find a job that you could envision yourself doing long term while doing volunteering and application prep on the side. This could reduce the anxiety associated with thoughts of “what if I don’t get in again?” In other words, follow your dream but do it in a practical/pragmatic way.

I looked at the school list you posted back in June of 2021, and it needs some work. There are a number of mid/low-tier MD schools, mostly private, that should have been included: MCW, SLU, Oakland, WMich, NYMC, Temple, Wake, VCU, etc.

Your non-clinical volunteering is a bit light. I know you had to work to support yourself, but not everyone looks at that with the same level of understanding.

Your PS, secondaries, and/or interviews may have been subpar. As the applicant you would be the least able to recognize these problems if they exist.

If your MCAT is going to expire then you'll obviously have to retake it. I don't think a postbacc or SMP will help much, as there isn't much need to repair someone who doesn't have concerning academics.

If you really want to punch things up, go do something like AmeriCorps for a year and completely rewrite your narrative.

Thank you for the reply! Not sure which post you saw, but my non-clinical volunteering I applied with was about 60 hours as a high school chem TA and 250 hours at a local food bank. Do you still thank that is light? If so, do you think accumulating additional hours at the food bank over the next year or two would be advisable, or should I find an entirely new opportunity to demonstrate that I'm bringing something new to the table?

I'm comfortable with my PS and secondaries, as I had them edited ad nauseum, although honestly the finished product may have come out a bit stiff as a result.

It's possible my interviews were the issue. I really thought one was at least okay and other was excellent, but more preparation probably wouldn't hurt.

As for the school list, it was super limited by the number of schools that would accept a 2018 MCAT this cycle. Assuming I need to reapply, I'll retake the MCAT and apply to the schools you mentioned.

What is your MCAT? School list? MD&DO? I doubt that that the state schools are lying when they say academics are not the problem.

I have a great deal of empathy for applicants in this situation, since I know how difficult it is to put yourself out there again after being rejected.

I am not sure whether an SMP is the best way to go. It might put you in a less stressful position to find a job that you could envision yourself doing long term while doing volunteering and application prep on the side. This could reduce the anxiety associated with thoughts of “what if I don’t get in again?” In other words, follow your dream but do it in a practical/pragmatic way.
Thank you very much for replying. 522 MCAT. School list was unfortunately not super optimal for reasons I mentioned in a reply just above: I could only apply to schools that would accept a 2018 MCAT. I'm not applying DO, which I know is controversial, but I don't want to be a DO. I would rather take two more years to get into an MD school than limit myself in terms of residency and fellowship opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, we weren't that far off with noting you should get attention from in-state. You did get your in-state programs to interview you. It might be interviewing skills, but I would give your in-state schools the benefit of the doubt that they would just tell you to improve it if they really gave you a shot a second time.

So to that end, I think there is an issue of mission fit. That can be related to "interview skills," but it might not. Your two in-state schools are remarkably different to that end, so maybe the one that rejected you thought your purpose to be a physician wasn't clearly a fit.

Reactions: 5 users
LizzyM score is 73, which I believe is good enough. I suspect it may be a volume thing. How many schools did you apply to each cycle and how many interviews per cycle

I might recommend a diagnostic interview with a third party. Tbh, I think that it is difficult to assess one’s own interview performance. For example, I had 15 interviews this time, thought I did good/great on at least 7 or 8 and I have a single acceptance, which I am thankful for but it just goes to show how difficult it is to personally judge how an interview went (since clearly 7 or 8 didn’t go good/great). If i was ever going to do it over, I would get a third party service to give me feedback. This could help you convert IIs to As

Last edited:
LizzyM score is 73, which I believe is good enough. I suspect it may be a volume thing. How many schools did you apply to each cycle and how many interviews per cycle
Cycle 1: 31 schools, 0 interviews. I really did not have a lot of EC's that time: just 200 hours of clinical volunteering and 50 hours of non-clinical, and basically nothing else aside from non-clinical employment.

Cycle 2: 20 schools, 2 interviews

Well, we weren't that far off with noting you should get attention from in-state. You did get your in-state programs to interview you. It might be interviewing skills, but I would give your in-state schools the benefit of the doubt that they would just tell you to improve it if they really gave you a shot a second time.

So to that end, I think there is an issue of mission fit. That can be related to "interview skills," but it might not. Your two in-state schools are remarkably different to that end, so maybe the one that rejected you thought your purpose to be a physician wasn't clearly a fit.
You're absolutely right that it may be an issue of mission fit, but I really don't understand it if that's the case. Both of my state schools lean toward serving underserved populations in urban or rural settings. I spent the last two years devoting a tremendous amount of time to a local food bank to demonstrate that these missions truly are a passion of mine. Are there other ways I could spend my time to better demonstrate this?

Cycle 1: 31 schools, 0 interviews. I really did not have a lot of EC's that time: just 200 hours of clinical volunteering and 50 hours of non-clinical, and basically nothing else aside from non-clinical employment.

Cycle 2: 20 schools, 2 interviews
Yea Vox's advice is sound. If you are a re-applicant you definitely need to apply to more schools the next time.
Good luck with things!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It said below you got a 522 MCAT. Very impressive. I would advise to meet with the admissions officer at your state medical school to get guidance on what to improve in your application. I think an SMP program is what you would need to apply to since your cGPA and sGPA are below 3.5.

I suspect it's your academics. Even with a 522 MCAT (great job!) , a 3.4/3.35 is weak. As you mentioned, the downward trend definitely hurts. I would suggest taking extra classes to bring up your GPA, ideally to around a 3.5

Honestly, it’s more likely the reckless driving conviction (read it on another thread linked in this thread) than academics. I’ve seen a lot of people on here with 520+/3.3-3.5 get in. Based on this table https://www.aamc.org/media/6091/download

The rate for applicants in the 517+/3.4-3.59 is 64%. 522 is a deviation above 517 and clearly shows that the op is capable of success in medical school. My gut says it’s the reckless driving.

To most, reckless driving is akin to a DUI. In order to get in with a DUI, I assume one would need to apply to a large amount of schools and have evidence of alcohol treatment.

If it’s not related to alcohol or substances, I would clearly highlight this fact. I think in some states, reckless driving can be given for things like extreme speeding, texting while driving etc., which are bad but aren’t as damaging as dui imo.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! Not sure which post you saw, but my non-clinical volunteering I applied with was about 60 hours as a high school chem TA and 250 hours at a local food bank. Do you still thank that is light? If so, do you think accumulating additional hours at the food bank over the next year or two would be advisable, or should I find an entirely new opportunity to demonstrate that I'm bringing something new to the table?
Question: why do you want to become a physician?

Question: why do you want to become a physician?
There are so many aspects of being a physician that I know I would love:

1. Using critical thinking every day
2. The ability to continuously learn throughout a career
3. The chance to be a leader that makes other members of the team feel comfortable and listened to
4. Building meaningful relationships with people, both with patients and teammates
5. Most importantly and above all, it's the opportunity to truly care for people who need caring for. I've seen the difference it makes to patients when they have a physician who they feel cares about what happens to them. Who listens to them. I know that every patient won't feel that way, and it can be a thankless job. But so many patients have a long history of not feeling listened to: most of all, people who have been historically marginalized, such as racial minorities, people without means, and LGBTQ folks. I would like to be a patient advocate for those who need advocacy.

I know that there are many careers that offer the chance to do one or more of the above. But only as a physician would I be able to do all of them.

Honestly, it’s more likely the reckless driving conviction (read it on another thread linked in this thread) than academics. I’ve seen a lot of people on here with 520+/3.3-3.5 get in. Based on this table https://www.aamc.org/media/6091/download

The rate for applicants in the 517+/3.4-3.59 is 64%. 522 is a deviation above 517 and clearly shows that the op is capable of success in medical school. My gut says it’s the reckless driving.

To most, reckless driving is akin to a DUI. In order to get in with a DUI, I assume one would need to apply to a large amount of schools and have evidence of alcohol treatment.

If it’s not related to alcohol or substances, I would clearly highlight this fact. I think in some states, reckless driving can be given for things like extreme speeding, texting while driving etc., which are bad but aren’t as damaging as dui imo.
I get it, and I've been worried about that. But for what it's worth, I got feedback from about 6 schools from my first unsuccessful cycle. I asked almost all of them about the reckless driving conviction (which at that time was just two years old) and none of them said it was a concern.

3. The chance to be a leader that makes other members of the team feel comfortable and listened to
4. Building meaningful relationships with people, both with patients and teammates
5. Most importantly and above all, it's the opportunity to truly care for people who need caring for. I've seen the difference it makes to patients when they have a physician who they feel cares about what happens to them. Who listens to them. I know that every patient won't feel that way, and it can be a thankless job. But so many patients have a long history of not feeling listened to: most of all, people who have been historically marginalized, such as racial minorities, people without means, and LGBTQ folks. I would like to be a patient advocate for those who need advocacy.

I know that there are many careers that offer the chance to do one or more of the above. But only as a physician would I be able to do all of them.
I'm gonna play devil's advocate with your last statement. I don't see anything science-related in your statement above. While aware that "I like science and I want to help people" is a cliche, there are many careers, like nursing, social work, and education, that involve all of the things you listed (and more). Not saying that you should create a backup plan or that you should consider another career. But nothing med-specific jumps out at me from what you wrote above.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate with your last statement. I don't see anything science-related in your statement above. While aware that "I like science and I want to help people" is a cliche, there are many careers, like nursing, social work, and education, that involve all of the things you listed (and more). Not saying that you should create a backup plan or that you should consider another career. But nothing med-specific jumps out at me from what you wrote above.
That's fair. Science is a big part of it. I was really worried this cycle about the "i like science and I wanna help people" cliche, so I honestly wrote my app around the relationship aspect of medicine, rather than the science part. But I truly do love science: I majored in biochem and physics before even deciding on medicine just because those were what I thought was interesting.

That's fair. Science is a big part of it. I was really worried this cycle about the "i like science and I wanna help people" cliche, so I honestly wrote my app around the relationship aspect of medicine, rather than the science part. But I truly do love science: I majored in biochem and physics before even deciding on medicine just because those were what I thought was interesting.
Then I would advise expressing that as part of your application

With that downward GPA trend, yes, either DIY postbac or SMP.

No, no need for retaking prereqs

Reactions: 1 users
@Med Ed thank you very much for your replies thus far - any thoughts on what I could do to improve my application and demonstrate my commitment based on my answer above? Again, thank you!

With that downward GPA trend, yes, either DIY postbac or SMP.

No, no need for retaking prereqs
Why would the state schools say there wasn’t an academic issue holding the op back though? Is it common for admissions to lie in order to not hurt feelings? One would think that they would be honest to get the best IS students possible, assuming reapplication

Is it common for admissions to lie in order to not hurt feelings? One would think that they would be honest to get the best IS students possible, assuming reapplication
Look, this isn't about lying. The OP didn't get into their state school, which was best chance of admission. OOS schools have their pick of applicants that don't have declining GPA trends. I would guess that the OP has weak interview skills, or simply couldn't seal the deal.

So the OP has to reinvent.

Also, as a reinventor, OP needs DO school on the list for round three. Beggars cant be choosy.

Reactions: 6 users
@Med Ed thank you very much for your replies thus far - any thoughts on what I could do to improve my application and demonstrate my commitment based on my answer above? Again, thank you!
This is a tough one. It's just my perspective, but when I look at your info I see two people. One is a hard science double major with a middling GPA, rock star MCAT, and standard research experience, who supported himself through college and went on to work in food safety (while sports writing on the side). The other is a medical scheduler who volunteers at a food bank, pediatric cancer unit, underserved high school, and testing/vaccination clinic. I'm not sure how effective you were at reconciling these two into a cohesive narrative that supports your candidacy. You mention racial minorities and LGBTQ in your answer earlier, but I don't see anything in what you have shared that substantiates a specific interest in those groups.

I do note that you claim more time on your sports writing side gig than any single volunteer activity.

While your package was clearly good enough to win you interviews with your state schools, the top tier places you applied to have a plethora of candidates with similar MCATs but higher GPAs and more compelling experiences. Someone like you may also be subject to yield/resource protection. I suggest you get completely fresh eyes on your personal statement, improve your school list, and get interview practice.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a tough one. It's just my perspective, but when I look at your info I see two people. One is a hard science double major with a middling GPA, rock star MCAT, and standard research experience, who supported himself through college and went on to work in food safety (while sports writing on the side). The other is a medical scheduler who volunteers at a food bank, pediatric cancer unit, underserved high school, and testing/vaccination clinic. I'm not sure how effective you were at reconciling these two into a cohesive narrative that supports your candidacy. You mention racial minorities and LGBTQ in your answer earlier, but I don't see anything in what you have shared that substantiates a specific interest in those groups.

I do note that you claim more time on your sports writing side gig than any single volunteer activity.

While your package was clearly good enough to win you interviews with your state schools, the top tier places you applied to have a plethora of candidates with similar MCATs but higher GPAs and more compelling experiences. Someone like you may also be subject to yield/resource protection. I suggest you get completely fresh eyes on your personal statement, improve your school list, and get interview practice.
Thank you so much. This is a revelatory answer to hear when put in those terms. I really do appreciate the time you took to help.

Give some serious thought about whether you'd rather never be a practicing physician than to be a physician who earned a DO degree. Really consider those two possibilities and make your choice accordingly.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

I think the interviewing portion is what you need improvement on. Based on your response, the first four reasons appear to be very genereal and can be applicable in any career within healthcare. The last reason is basic and contains some negative aspect which you should stay away from. I would recommend doing some reflections and finding 3-4 solid reasons why and tie it to the state school’s mission statement.

From reading your first post it sounded like you were interviewed and then reject from your state schools the first time you applied. But later you specifically said you received no interviews during your first cycle. So when did your state schools tell you it wasn’t your academics? Two years ago or this year? If two years ago why didn’t they interview you that cycle?
I do think it is your GPA. Maybe not at your state schools but at the other schools. Your GPA trend was mostly downward and your course work was many years ago. Maybe a one year DIY post bacc of all upper level science courses would help with questions ADCOMS might have . Who knows. At this point we know it’s not your MCAT(great job) but that’s about all we really know. Did you significantly improve your ECs from last time? And I know you think you don’t want to be a DO but you need to think hard about that. You’ve already applied twice to a total of 51 schools with two interviews. What if the next time you apply the same thing happens? Many schools don’t even consider third and fourth applications. So there is that.
Good luck on the MCAT. And just maybe you’ll still get in to that state school .

Reactions: 1 users
Not going to lie that GPA is going to make it rough for you to get into an MD school. I would say for DO you'd be below average on the GPA. If you're dead set on MD you may need a year of science courses at a university getting As. That would bump you up some and show you're capable.

Agree that the downward trend GPA is a problem. Senior year especially. Do a DIY post bacc or SMP. Would recommend volunteering on the side to add along your food bank hours vs using the high school chem TA if that’s from 2017. That’s 5 years ago now and I assume it was for a few months if it’s just 60 hours. That’s not showing interest in serving the community for the long haul.

Seems like you have the clinical hours so that’s not a problem. But you should have a more refined why medicine and a stronger personal statement with relevant patient encounters then. Apply DO as Goro and others mentioned.

A DO can do all those things.

Reactions: 6 users