Next steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punkn

at the Christie Rd tracks
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any PGY2's and 3's know what their interests are and what their plans might be after graduation? Anyone looking at fellowships?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone considering regenerative medicine, or have any thoughts on the field?

Anyone considering regenerative medicine, or have any thoughts on the field?

I have thought about regenerative medicine fellowship following my sports fellowship. I want to give it a few years before I decide and see if we can get more convincing literature on PRP prolo ect.

There was a recent multicenter prp study published in purple PM&R journal by Borg-stein ken Mautner and a few others who are big in sports and MSK work for PM&R. I highly encourage everyone to read it.

A resident from Stanford also just wrote an editorial on regenerative fellowships in AAPMR resident e-newsletter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know of any regenerative medicine fellowships?

I have thought about regenerative medicine fellowship following my sports fellowship. I want to give it a few years before I decide and see if we can get more convincing literature on PRP prolo ect.

There was a recent multicenter prp study published in purple PM&R journal by Borg-stein ken Mautner and a few others who are big in sports and MSK work for PM&R. I highly encourage everyone to read it.

A resident from Stanford also just wrote an editorial on regenerative fellowships in AAPMR resident e-newsletter.

There are no fellowship in regenerative medicine, and believe me you don't need one. Time to practice medicine after all your years of training. I know the gurus of whom you speak and none of them did fellowships, just went to a couple conferences, read some articles and got started.

Don't need an extra fellowship for everything. Until 2000 PMR routinely did everything after residency. There is plenty of time for ongoing education while you are actually making real money. With the way healthcare is going, you want to start making six-figures as soon as you can.

Last edited:
True words of wisdom bedrock. The new generation of PM&R residents need to realize this but they are force feed from the first day of residency that a fellowship is a must.

True words of wisdom bedrock. The new generation of PM&R residents need to realize this but they are force feed from the first day of residency that a fellowship is a must.

I think the push for job vs. fellowship is program dependent. I know some places where most residents are not doing fellowships. At my institution, having additional fellowship training in pain, sports, brain injury, sci is almost an unspoken requirement. In fact, people have not been hired because they did a non-accredited interventional spine fellowship vs. an accredited pain one. Albeit I train at a highly academic institution, and I know people are doing all kinds of procedures right out of PMR residency.

I really do not know much about the future of regenerative Medicine for PMR and what the right answer is, but I think taking more than a few classes would be needed to do it well. Same with using ultrasound. We train heavily in US every 2-3 weeks for a 6 month block at my program and use this diagnostic and interventional tool thorough out our residency training. I think most of us feel comfortable using it in our practices when we are done but some want extra training in their sports, MSK, neuromuscular,and pain fellowships along with other skills before just doing it on practice. IMO someone who takes one or two MSK us course buys a machine and starts using it for everything without continued training and education could be a little cavalier or dangerous. It's more than just show me where to put the needle with this.

I think should be true with regenerative medicine but not sure what the answer is.

If you have aspirations to be a team doc and potentially work in academics fellowship is key IMHO.

If you want to put spinal cord stims and do advanced spine and pain procedures ... A pain fellowship is a must

I think you can do most bread and butter PMR procedures right out of residency but depends on the volume and quality of your training, which I know is not equal at all places.

I just giving you a hard time, because you've brought up wanting to do a sports fellowship, and pain fellowship,....and now a regenerative medicine fellowship!

My point was simply that there is a lot you can and will pick up as you go along. After a mayo residency and an ACGME sports fellowship somewhere, you'll be ahead of 80% of the MSK/sports docs out there before you start practicing.

With the goals you're stated before, a fellowship is the way to go and will establish your credentials, and enhance your mastery of MSK/sports medicine.

Thanks bedrock.. Maybe I just want to be a lifetime learner :) Appreciate sentiment. To be honest I'd consider doing a pain vs. regenerative interventional after sports. My wife is ok with 2 fellowships but shed probably kill me if I did three.

The problem I see is not all residencies fellowships are created equal... all depends on where you match nowadays. Some sports have more spine and some none, some Pain fellowships ton of US and advanced interventional procedures, some none, and then there are regenerative interventional medicine fellowships (ultimate wild card)

see example: http://www.regenexx.com/2011/05/int...enteno-schultz-clinic-announces-a-fellowship/

I would agree coming from mayo or any other top notch PM&R program boads better for doing well right out of residency +/- fellowship training.

Last edited: