NextStep 100 Days to MCAT Success: March 9 - June 17

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PostGanglionic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This Thread will cover my experience doing the complete 100 day 2015 MCAT program put together by NextStep Tutors. (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/)

I will do my best to cover my Experiences/opinions of all the material. If anyone is doing this program please feel free to join this thread so that we may expand on the program together.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Did my first MCAT half length test provided free of charge by NextStep. The test took me off guard compared to the older version of the MCAT (O-M). The Verbal seemed easier then the O-M AAMC Verbal. I'm thinking the extra time played a large role in reducing my test anxiety. The passages were very enjoyable and not boring at all. The Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems section was a little harder for me then then O-M physical Science section, however I felt that the passages were much more relevant to the medical field and I'm going to enjoy reviewing something that I can actually use in my career/Life ("Opportunity not an Obligation"). The Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems felt similar to the O-M with the exception of hardly any O-Chem questions and a little bit of Biochem added. The Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior was by far my worst score on the test. I feel good about this I've never studied for this section so I plan to show a large improvement early on. The Section over all felt foreign to me but many of the question had answers that felt intuitive. This section seems like I will have to learn many terms and concepts to excel in it.

My Results:
Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems 122 14%
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills 124 39%
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems 124 39%
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior 121 6%
Total 491 (National Average 500 (Goal 510)) 19 Points to go.

"Eliminate all negative external forces and you will ascend perpetually" PING PONG STUDIOS

Last edited:
Day 2: Got my "Lesson Learned" Journal fresh and ready for ink. I estimating today's study time will be between 5-6 hours. I will be writing at least one lesson learned per question minimum, so I'm not exactly how long that will take but I think it will be well worth the effort. For the NS Verbal Strategy and Intro I will attempt to use Concept Maps. The AAMC outline will be a breath of fresh air. I know I need to become more familiar with the overall picture of this new MCAT!

Side Note :
Feeling Great!
Awake sense 4 AM
Completed 1 Hour Gym Workout
Had Nutri-bullet shake and Vitamins
Listen to 30 Minutes of Motivational Fortification

"Behind success is a patient individual that is ready to lead" PING PONG STUDIOS

Last edited:
this is great!! thanks for sharing your experiences. I plan to incorporate the NS program into my study plan!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on day 2 right now, too! Taking the June 19 exam. Reviewing the half-length diagnostic currently. Got a 503. My goal is a 515. Keep this thread going so everyone following this schedule can motivate each other! Finally found someone else also using NS 100.

For verbal, I'm gonna space out the passages so that I do 2-3 per day until test day. Also, I got a 10 on the old MCAT verbal by not using any strategies, all I did was read the passage and answer the questions as quickly as I could. Personally, I think the whole strategy thing is baloney lol.

I'm on day 2 right now, too! Taking the June 19 exam. Reviewing the half-length diagnostic currently. Got a 503. My goal is a 515. Keep this thread going so everyone following this schedule can motivate each other! Finally found someone else also using NS 100.

For verbal, I'm gonna space out the passages so that I do 2-3 per day until test day. Also, I got a 10 on the old MCAT verbal by not using any strategies, all I did was read the passage and answer the questions as quickly as I could. Personally, I think the whole strategy thing is baloney lol.

Nice this is great news that there are more of us on the same schedule for this program. I haven't registered for my test yet but June 19th sounds like the ideal day to choose. I just want to wait and find out if I've gotten accepted into any Special Medical Masters Programs before I register for my test date. I'm about half way through reviewing the Half-length Diagnostic test. So far so good I have about 52 bullet points in my Lesson Learned Journal. I have a feeling I'm going to have many more bullet points going into Psychology Section. Nice 515 is about a 32 on O-M scoring. Yes I hope to keep this thing going and be able to discuss and help each other out as we progress in the program.

Regarding verbal I think taking the GRE last week really helped me out a lot. It taught me many word and the context that they are used in. Wow a 10 in my opinion is awesome!!! I scored a 6 on my official MCAT when I took it about two months back. Methods, well during this last practice exam we took I did exactly the same as you did on the O-M and it went well but I don't want to cut myself short if theirs a way out there that works better for me. I like the fact the program mentions how it wants us to try different things at the begging and carry what works with us through the bulk of it. I haven't gotten to reading the NS Verbal yet today but I will let you all know what I think and if it's working for me.

I'm doing this too! You guys using Kaplan or EK for content review?

Nice, are you on the second day as well? I'm using the EK books. I wanted to follow this schedule to the 'T'. I believe I have an easier time grasping the strait to the point concepts in the EK books. I know it's not as in depth as the Kaplan books, but in the end all that matters is using the material that helps you learn the most and get you the best score you can get on the MCAT.

Oooh hope you get into the masters program!
Yeah I got a 10 on verbal and under 10 on the other two sections, so I want to retake.:( And the weird thing is I have never even finished reading a book in my life before lol because I hate reading books...soooo boring. I think what saved me was the fact that I love reading the news - I feel like as if my daily CNN.com reading somehow helped me get a 10 haha. But yeah definitely try out their strategies if it didn't work out for you last time!

And yeah this lessons learned thing is taking forever...but my bullet points are more like paragraphs lol. But it's really helping for the questions that I got wrong because I had no idea how to solve them.

As far as books are concerned, I'm using EK as my main source. However, on the "first pass" days for each chapter in EK, I'm also going to read the corresponding sections in the Berkeley Review books. And on the Khan days, instead of doing khan passages, I'm going to do Berkeley review passages and also finish reading the section if I wasn't able to finish on the "first pass" day.

And for real...the new physical sciences section is actually kind of fun..I hated the old one and it is the reason I have to retake. Why do I need to know about forces involved in dragging a box up an inclined plane if I'm gonna become a doctor?? Lol I really like how they made it bio-oriented. I liked the left ventricle passage involving work done by fluids..like it actually applies to the field I want to go in...

@mcatjelly made a really nice google doc that corresponds Kaplan, EK, and TBR chapters with each other. It's such a time-saver. If anyone else is wanting to supplement EK with one of those books, here it is!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Oh, and based on the hypothetical percentiles AAMC has released, a 510 (89th percentile) on the new test would be equivalent to a 32 (87th percentile). I don't believe the whole "510 is the new 30" ordeal. I believe that a 507 (80th%ile corresponds to a 30 (78th%ile) based on percentiles. A 515 (94th percentile) would be a ~34 (93rd percentile).

Sources:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/378098/data/mcat2015scorescaleguide.pdf

Reactions: 2 users
Oooh hope you get into the masters program!
Yeah I got a 10 on verbal and under 10 on the other two sections, so I want to retake.:( And the weird thing is I have never even finished reading a book in my life before lol because I hate reading books...soooo boring. I think what saved me was the fact that I love reading the news - I feel like as if my daily CNN.com reading somehow helped me get a 10 haha. But yeah definitely try out their strategies if it didn't work out for you last time!

And yeah this lessons learned thing is taking forever...but my bullet points are more like paragraphs lol. But it's really helping for the questions that I got wrong because I had no idea how to solve them.

As far as books are concerned, I'm using EK as my main source. However, on the "first pass" days for each chapter in EK, I'm also going to read the corresponding sections in the Berkeley Review books. And on the Khan days, instead of doing khan passages, I'm going to do Berkeley review passages and also finish reading the section if I wasn't able to finish on the "first pass" day.

I can relate to what your saying about reading the news helped you with your score. I started reading the The NewYorker and it really helped me enjoy wide range of subject I'm not very familiar with. Right now all I'm reading are books about how to become a better learner. Which I think might help out in the Psychology section but probably not too much in Verbal.

For the physical science section I noticed I had a even split between single sentence and paragraphs in my bullets. On the verbal not a whole lot to say on my bullets beside possible strategies and why I missed a certain question. On the Biology tons of terms and definitions for the lab passages. Currently still working on the psychology section. I put each subject in a different color which is helping me tell them apart.

I remember Berkeley had tons of hard practice passages but I think if you get those down MCAT passages should be a breeze. I haven't taken a look at the Khan Academy passages yet so I'll have to see how that goes.

And for real...the new physical sciences section is actually kind of fun..I hated the old one and it is the reason I have to retake. Why do I need to know about forces involved in dragging a box up an inclined plane if I'm gonna become a doctor?? Lol I really like how they made it bio-oriented. I liked the left ventricle passage involving work done by fluids..like it actually applies to the field I want to go in...

I liked that passage as well. I'm just taking a guess here but are you interested in Cardiology? Because if you are, that the field I enjoyed shadowing the most and am seriously thinking about choosing it as my Profession. Yes, no more boxes, planets, circuits, harmonic motions, and projectile motions. Thank all things that are holy in this world that they finally got it right and started applying relevant medical passages on a test that determines for some part how prepared you are for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and based on the hypothetical percentiles AAMC has released, a 510 (89th percentile) on the new test would be equivalent to a 32 (87th percentile). I don't believe the whole "510 is the new 30" ordeal. I believe that a 507 (80th%ile corresponds to a 30 (78th%ile) based on percentiles. A 515 (94th percentile) would be a ~34 (93rd percentile).

Sources:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/378098/data/mcat2015scorescaleguide.pdf

Thanks for that info and providing the sources. I agree with you after looking at the reference you placed in your message to the the tables in the links. That is really good news! All I can say is lets give this program our absolute all and go for top 1 %iles.

Hehe yes either cardiology or psychiatry! And yeah, people need to stop with the 510 is the new 30 before adcoms start getting that idea instilled into their heads lol. People don't realize that there is a huge difference between a 507 and a 510.

Actually, I might end up also using the Khan passages. They are affiliated with AAMC now, and plus there are so many! But might do only like 5-7 per week and berkeley review for the rest of my passages on Khan day

Oh, and I never took 7 of the old AAMC full lengths, so I will probably be using those for verbal and maybe some bio practice

Oh, and I never took 7 of the old AAMC full lengths, so I will probably be using those for verbal and maybe some bio practice
When I was studying for the old MCAT I did all the old AAMC practice test and I think 9 through 11 were closer to the feel of my actual test. Verbal 101 by EK was a great study aid. Passages were enjoyable and diverse. I need to come up with a strategy for my verbal passage distribution during this program. I did all the old AAMC practice test, EK 101, and Part of the Princeton Hyper learning verbal book. I'm thinking about getting more verbals from NextStep but I'm not sure yet.

When I was studying for the old MCAT I did all the old AAMC practice test and I think 9 through 11 were closer to the feel of my actual test. Verbal 101 by EK was a great study aid. Passages were enjoyable and diverse. I need to come up with a strategy for my verbal passage distribution during this program. I did all the old AAMC practice test, EK 101, and Part of the Princeton Hyper learning verbal book. I'm thinking about getting more verbals from NextStep but I'm not sure yet.

You should get testing solutions verbal passages for CARS. I got their series for the old MCAT and it was awesome, the passages were longer than the real AAMCs but the questions kind of had the same feeling as the real MCAT. They just released their first CARS book on amazon. I bought it when it was 4 bucks last week, but now it's 7 bucks but it's well worth it in my opinion. It comes with 9 passages and plus if you order by March 31 and leave a review, they will send you their second test for free when it comes out! So 18 passages for 7 bucks. The only thing I hate about them is their Kindle formatting. You don't get the real MCAT CBT experience. But overall, the content is really good and I would highly recommend it!

If you are interested, just type in Testing solutions CARS in amazon and it should pop up.

Last edited:
actually now i think you can actually get it for free if you have kindle unlimited or get the kindle unlimited free trial i think

You should get testing solutions verbal passages for CARS. I got their series for the old MCAT and it was awesome, the passages were longer than the real AAMCs but the questions kind of had the same feeling as the real MCAT. They just released their first CARS book on amazon. I bought it when it was 4 bucks last week, but now it's 7 bucks but it's well worth it in my opinion. It comes with 9 passages and plus if you order by March 31, they will send you their second test for free when it comes out! So 18 passages for 7 bucks. The only thing I hate about them is their Kindle formatting. You don't get the real MCAT CBT experience. But overall, the content is really good and I would highly recommend it!

If you are interested, just type in Testing solutions CARS in amazon and it should pop up.

Thanks! I'll check this out.... I did terrible on the verbal section of the old MCAT :(

Day 2: Review

Half Length MCAT Diagnostic test by NextStep:
First thing I have to say "My perseverance was being tested today!" I had no idea reviewing half a full length using the Lessons Learned Journal would be so rewarding. However I'm not going to lie, I probably spent more time then was expected on this review but I want to make sure I did my best catching and understanding all the terms, bigger pictures of the passage, why I got some questions right and why I got some questions wrong. I believe starting this program off strong and giving it my all will allow me to continue to do my best. I promise you I was tempted a couple times to just skip a term I didn't know, a question that looked hard, even an entire passage, but I kept reminding myself to be patient and remember why I'm doing this. A quote comes to my mind every time I was thing about taking a short cut or skip something saying to myself that's good enough. "It you never say good enough today you will always have enough tomorrow!" Greg Plitt.

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems:
This section by far took me the longest I attempted to use mind mapping to review the first three passages and it ended up taking more time then I expected. However doing that method I fully grasped every concept, term, question, and answer from those sections. Looking at my Lessons Learned Journal I am surprised to say I probably only wrote done 3 equations out of about 50 bullet points. This section of the test after reviewing it I can say, it had many of the answers in the text, however their was still quite a few terms and questions I did not fully grasp that I had to look up and really reason through.

Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills

This section I did not write a whole lot about besides what I might do different in the future and how could I possibly choose that silly answer after reading the passage a second time.

Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems
Lots and lots of new terms I need to familiarize myself with. I felt that I had a dictionary open for more time then the time I spent looking at the actual passages. A lot of the words I mistook for different meaning because many of the words describing a process in the passage have multiple definitions/meanings. This makes me really excited to start up the EK Bio book 2. I took a peak at the book after reviewing this section and it seems to have everything in it that I saw in this section.

Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior
Out of the four section I know I need to learn the most in this one. It seems like this section is testing more of my memory of certain conditions and anatomy then the process of things. I feel as if I have written an entire book after reviewing this section. This section is completely new to me in every way but it seems like the easiest to grasp once I learn all the terms and what they mean. Very glad they put this section at the end of the test it seems the easiest to take in.

Verbal Strategy Chapter By NextStep:
Read about half of the chapter going to finish it up tomorrow morning and give you all my official take on their method once I have fully understood it.

Official AAMC Outline Review:

Book coming in the mail tomorrow should be a good wake-up call to the massive amount of material that will be covered over next 98 days.

Nice job! I didn't get to finish Bio and Psych so I'm just gonna finish them tomorrow. (ugggh 10pm maintenance).
I'm probably gonna start reading EKBio 1.1 and EKPsy 1.1 tonight before I go to sleep, though.

You should get testing solutions verbal passages for CARS. I got their series for the old MCAT and it was awesome, the passages were longer than the real AAMCs but the questions kind of had the same feeling as the real MCAT. They just released their first CARS book on amazon. I bought it when it was 4 bucks last week, but now it's 7 bucks but it's well worth it in my opinion. It comes with 9 passages and plus if you order by March 31 and leave a review, they will send you their second test for free when it comes out! So 18 passages for 7 bucks. The only thing I hate about them is their Kindle formatting. You don't get the real MCAT CBT experience. But overall, the content is really good and I would highly recommend it!

Thanks for the info I am going to add it to my cart. That's a great price for the amount you get. It's all good to me I leave immersion for test days practice passages I will take in any format.

Thanks for the info I am going to add it to my cart. That's a great price for the amount you get. It's all good to me I leave immersion for test days practice passages I will take in any format.

Make sure to write a review for it if you want the second one for free! It's a prereq to get the second test for free.

Nice job! I didn't get to finish Bio and Psych so I'm just gonna finish them tomorrow. (ugggh 10pm maintenance).
I'm probably gonna start reading EKBio 1.1 and EKPsy 1.1 tonight before I go to sleep, though.

Nice, I think the first section by far was the lengthiest for me. Your almost there, tomorrow once your refreshed your going to knock out those last two sections with ease. Let me know what you think about the new books. I'm excited to start them up tomorrow and see what changes they have made.

Nice, I think the first section by far was the lengthiest for me. Your almost there, tomorrow once your refreshed your going to knock out those last two sections with ease. Let me know what you think about the new books. I'm excited to start them up tomorrow and see what changes they have made.

Yeah, the first section was definitely the longest one for me too! I think I spent a good 2 hours on it and about an hour on CARS, probably could have finished all the sections, but I accidentally took like a 4 hour nap lol -_-. The full-lengths are gonna suck :hungover:

Alright, gonna go skim over the EK books and then head to bed. I'll let you know what I think. Cya!

How many hours a day (on average) is this schedule taking you guys?

Its only been two days so I can't give you a fair average yet.

Day 1: Half Length Test about 4-5 hours
Day 2: Review Half Length and 2 Reading assignments about 9-10 hours (Still breaking in some of the methods I am using)
Day 3: Today (I'll let you know)

Day 3:
Alright, time to start cracking open the EK books and start the First time read through method. Just to recap what the program says about the first time looking at a chapter:

1) Casual Read:
Read as if your looking at a magazine. Grasp the general sense of what the chapters about. Takes about 10-30 min. Make a conscious effort to notice all bold face words.

2)Learn all bold faced words:
Say it out loud! Look up the meaning on Wikipedia. Make flash Cards or study sheets if that works for you. Personally, I'm going to Mind Map the chapter and make flash cards on Brainscape.com . I'll post up a link to my Flash Cards after I have completed them. Your more then welcome to them. Pay it forward! Arnold Schwarzenegger's six rule of success say's "You can't climb the latter of success with your hands in your pocket."

3)Read Patiently and Diligently:
Be able to reproduce the diagrams by memory.

Today's Subjects
EK Psych 1.1
EK biology 1.1
NS CARS Half-Section 1

Finishing
Reading the Introduction in NS Verbal
AAMC Outline in Official Guide

"We're not ran by the clock but by our desires of where we want to go tomorrow!"Greg Plitt
"Some times the only good thing you hear about yourself is the things you say to yourself! Be your Own Booster!" Les Brown

Last edited:
I plan on starting NS's study plan after spring break, though I don't plan on taking the MCAT until August.. I'm anticipating that it will be hard for me to stick to the schedule verbatim with school, 20+ hours of work, volunteering, & other commitments.. So I'm giving myself more than just the 100 days. Also I cut out the study group times and replaced that with more CARS sections, though I may modify that as I go along. I didn't take the old MCAT so this is a whole new experience for me! Personally I'm excited about the changes, as a Psych major aspiring to go into Psychiatry. I think a background in psych could be an important tool for any doctor though.
Anyways, good luck studying! I'm interested to hear your experiences, and what you guys like or dislike about the plan/study materials

So, I just finished EKBio 1.1 (took about 2 hours). Overall, I thought it was very concise and easy to understand. I'm probably going to be supplementing with TBR for a little more detail as I have not taken biology since AP Bio.

Day 3:
Alright, time to start cracking open the EK books and start the First time read through method. Just to recap what the program says about the first time looking at a chapter:

1) Casual Read:
Read as if your looking at a magazine. Grasp the general sense of what the chapters about. Takes about 10-30 min. Make a conscious effort to notice all bold face words.

2)Learn all bold faced words:
Say it out loud! Look up the meaning on Wikipedia. Make flash Cards or study sheets if that works for you. Personally, I'm going to Mind Map the chapter and make flash cards on Brainscape.com . I'll post up a link to my Flash Cards after I have completed them. Your more then welcome to them. Pay it forward! Arnold Schwarzenegger's six rule of success say's "You can't climb the latter of success with your hands in your pocket."

3)Read Patiently and Diligently:
Be able to reproduce the diagrams by memory.

Today's Subjects
EK Psych 1.1
EK biology 1.1
NS CARS Half-Section 1

Finishing
Reading the Introduction in NS Verbal
AAMC Outline in Official Guide

"We're not ran by the clock but by our desires of where we want to go tomorrow!"Greg Plitt
"Some times the only good thing you hear about yourself is the things you say to yourself! Be your Own Booster!" Les Brown

Oooh do link the flashcards! They will be super helpful.

I plan on starting NS's study plan after spring break, though I don't plan on taking the MCAT until August.. I'm anticipating that it will be hard for me to stick to the schedule verbatim with school, 20+ hours of work, volunteering, & other commitments.. So I'm giving myself more than just the 100 days. Also I cut out the study group times and replaced that with more CARS sections, though I may modify that as I go along. I didn't take the old MCAT so this is a whole new experience for me! Personally I'm excited about the changes, as a Psych major aspiring to go into Psychiatry. I think a background in psych could be an important tool for any doctor though.
Anyways, good luck studying! I'm interested to hear your experiences, and what you guys like or dislike about the plan/study materials

I am too a psych major and Im so excited about the psych content on the new MCAT. Im rather surprised it took so long

Yah, that one is the schedule they made and are following. They also posted a "Study Plan" which corresponds different chapters of each book

Day 3: Recap

Today was good, still trying to find my groove for the program. Making flash cards took more time then I expected hope it'll will pay off (Attaching to this post). I got through both the daily reading assignments. The EK Physics book didn't seem that much different from their previous editions. It was over Translational Motion, Vectors, and Hooks Law. All and all, I think it was an easy chapter to get through. Didn't need to make many note, but was a nice refresher. The Biology section on the other hand was time well spent when it came to reviewing and taking note on the chapter. They added a lot more information on Enzyme Kinetics. I filled in a lot of gaps that were missing in my understanding on Macro-Molecules as well. I did see a lot of the same material covered on the Half Length MCAT that we took on Monday. Still finishing up the NEXT Step Verbal Intro on the Last of the tree method, so I am excited to see which one works best for me.

"The harder the battle the sweeter the victory!" Les Brown

Hello Mental,

That's great man, I work at a psychiatric hospital. It's a great field and I promise no day is a repeat. My biggest advise for you on this being your first time studying for the MCAT is find something that works for you early on and keep that momentum going. At first it can seem like a lot but over time I promise it does get easier and what you learn in the process is priceless. I'm happy to hear that your doing community service. I thinks theirs nothing more rewarding then doing something for somebody else. Plus it looks great when you apply to Med School.

Ah littlebear, you must be a fellow lifter? Arnold and Greg Plitt quotes ^_^

Guilty as charged. I get some gym time in for about 30-40 min 6 day a week in the early morning. At this point its just about keeping the body healthy so that it can take my mind where it needs to go. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
EK Bio Chapter 1 Flash Cards. All you have to do is save it as a .csv file and it should be able to be exported into a flash card software no problem. I use Brain Scape which has always worked great for me.

Attachments

• EK Bio 1.1 Deck.xlsx
    19 KB · Views: 83
I haven't touched Chemistry yet. But it looks like a massive chapter. Currently switching between psych and verbal. I spent most my morning going through enzymes again I wanted to make sure I fully grasped all the concept. It was a very long morning lol.

Yeah it sucks :( I'm supplementing EK Chem with berkeley chem cuz some topics aren't explained as well

Okay, this 2 subjects per day thing is crazy. It is taking way too long. Do you feel the same way?