NHSC and specializations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-Dent Jeff

Dent-Jeff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the current NHSC application is closed. I have only just looked into it a little bit, but should students who plan on specializing apply for NHSC?
Do they only work with certain specializations and not others? Are there any people on here who have applied, what is the application like?

I start dental school in the Fall and I am interested in specializing. Obviously I can't make up my mind on that career pathway until I start school and experience it more.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Dude,
I just finished my application cycle for NHSC and they only allow GPR, AEGD, and Pediatric specialization. I debated with this for a long time because I don't want to do any of those specialties but I do want to specialize. Even though I want to specialize in a field that isn't public health, I've always loved public health. So I applied because if I got accepted I'd have four years of fun in public health and then could do my chosen specialty after I'm done with the program and have zero debt. If you have in-state tuition then I've heard that loans are the way to go if you want to specialize though.

The application was pretty straightforward. They asked essay questions about why you want to work in public health, previous exposure to public health, and what makes you want to be a primary care doctor. You also have to have a current CV or Resume. It took a while because they make you finish each section completely before you can go to the next section. But all in all, I'd say it was significantly easier than AADSAS.

Reactions: 1 user
honestly, just apply. if you get it, take it. specializing should not even be a consideration at this point. the only thing that's guaranteed as of now is the fact that you'll be in debt and have to pay tuition to go to school.

or you could even apply for nhsc loan repayment towards the end of dental school once you've actually figured out if you can/want to specialize for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I recently applied for the NHSC i'm a Jr. Dental Student and I wanted to know if you receive the scholarship when do they contact you and let you know? I applied as soon as it opened.

Have you considered HPSP? You can specialize in just about anything- aside from pedo and ortho which are very limited. And the military programs are a bit less competitive. Finally, if you get permission, you can apply to civ residencies as well.