NHSC and USPHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

del Sol DOHC

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to guarantee that your service commitment from the NHSC scholarship can be completed as an officer in the US Public Health Commissioned Corps? I'm interested in the NHSC, but with 8 years of prior military service I only want to do it if I can be in the USPHS.

Members don't see this ad.

I would contact someone as USPHS -there is an organization of PHS physicians (google, you'll find it) and talk to someone there as well. The key would be finding someone at PHS to help you figure out where to put in an application where they would a) definitely be able to fund you and b) be able to handle the necessary red tape. I don't think it's at all impossible, but you may have to do something you're not deeply in love with, and may have to live somewhere odd -most of the PHS folks w/ NHSC, as far as I know, are working in IHS, but there are folks doing research or w/in the federal prison sys or ICE too. I think guarantees are unlikely w/in NHSC, though.