NHSC regrets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LloydDObler

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if any of you NHSC scholars out there are regretting your decision at this stage of the game. Pretty much every doctor I have ever spoken to has said to not even consider NHSC, its a huge mistake, you'll make the money to pay back the loans, etc... Every med student (I and II) I have spoken to says its the greatest thing ever. Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

LloydDObler said:
I am wondering if any of you NHSC scholars out there are regretting your decision at this stage of the game. Pretty much every doctor I have ever spoken to has said to not even consider NHSC, its a huge mistake, you'll make the money to pay back the loans, etc... Every med student (I and II) I have spoken to says its the greatest thing ever. Any thoughts??

It is like the military in the sense, if you don't like the NHSC don't do it. Never take those scholarships soley for the money. Everybody I know who took those scholarships for easy money but had no interest in working for the NHSC or militar, regretted later on.

Goober said:
It is like the military in the sense, if you don't like the NHSC don't do it. Never take those scholarships soley for the money. Everybody I know who took those scholarships for easy money but had no interest in working for the NHSC or militar, regretted later on.

I completely agree. However, it seems like people think it is a great deal as a med student, because they know they want primary care, etc..., and then decide they want to be a cardiologist, or get an offer with some great practice that they have to turn down because they need to repay their years. I know a doctor who is paying back her loans times 3 because she couldn't hack the NHSC. Personally, it sounds like the greatest thing ever, and I can't imagine having a problem with it. I am just looking for some input that I haven't already heard. I just want to make sure that I have considered all potential ramifications of the program.

I went into FP due to NHSC obligation when I really wanted Path. Could have done year of internship, done my obligation, and then gone to residency, but thought I might like FP and at least I wouldn't waste a year. Very short-sighted of me. Don't know if you can still do an internship and then do your obligation (my situation was in the '80's), but if you have a leaning away from Primary Care, I would either suck it up and get loans, avoiding the NHSC, or do the internship. Had a friend behind me in residency who got stuck in a dangerous place for his NHSC assignment.

Another option- you can take out loans and wait till your 4th year or even later and decide whether or not you want to do it. If you still want to do it you can sign with them and they have a loan repayment program.

Personally I did not find taking out large loans that big of a deal as long as you don't live extravagantly.

Any other thoughts out there? Anyone doing the NHSC loan repayment program?

DON'T DO IT!!!!!
I was 100% sure I was meant to be a primary care physician and accepted the scholarship (4 years). I had experience in the hospital and outpatient and thought without doubt which setting was right for me. I was wrong. I have realized I hate outpatient medicine and would like to do a neonatology fellowship. Unfortunately, short of winning the lottery to pay off the huge fines for defaulting on the scholarship, I am stuck seeing sore throats and well children for 4 years. The thought makes me want to quit medicine altogether.

Do loan repayment. It is a safer option if you decide to specialize.

Just get a loan. The interest rate tends to be low and no noe will tell you where you can work and what you can do. These programs in trat unsuspecting med students who really have no idea of what they want to do. It is very short sighted to take cash that comes with so many strings attached.

CambieMD

p.s.

JKoehler, I sent you a pm