NHSC Scholars...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RU1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For recipients of the NHSC Scholarship, when did you find out you received it or were a finalist for it? Which month of the year? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the cycle closed for 2013 DS?

For recipients of the NHSC Scholarship, when did you find out you received it or were a finalist for it? Which month of the year? Thanks in advance!

Can any past scholars help me out? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received it cycles years ago... Applied in May, heard I was a finalist at the end of August and got the award the beginning of the last week in September, if i recall correctly. The application cycle that is about to open is for the 2013/14 school year; if you get awarded, they back pay your stipend from July 1st and pack pay your school as well.

I received it 2 cycles ago*

What exactly does "back pay" your stipend and your school mean? And my school starts on August 1st, so does that mean I would be forced to take out loans regardless?

Does being a minority factor into an applicants favor? Or is it meaningless in your opinion? I also wish I had an idea of how many students that apply fall under the category of being financially disadvantaged.

By Backpay I mean that the scholarship becomes retroactive to the beginning of the academic year which is July 1... So By the time that I received the scholarship at the end of September they paid me for June July August and September all at once. You will have to take out student loans for the fall semester but then your school will pay the loans off with the NHSC award... so you only actually have to pay the interest accrued on those loans for a couple of months... Which isn't much.
With respect to being a Minority, it really just all depends on your upbringing/ socioeconomic situation. If you were underserved yourself, and you plan on going back to a similar community-- and they believe you because of your history working in such communities... You'll have no problem getting the scholarship...
Hope it helps, sorry for the bad grammar.. I wrote this from my phone in a hurry!

Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate it.

I have a question regarding NHSC. If I were to get it (doubtful), how would it work if I ended up doing a residency (GPR/AEGD or possibly OMFS)?

I have a question regarding NHSC. If I were to get it (doubtful), how would it work if I ended up doing a residency (GPR/AEGD or possibly OMFS)?

When you commit yourself to the scholarship, you have to agree to do one of the following:
1. No residency, immediately begin your fulfillment after graduation.
2. GPR/ AEGD residency
3. Pediatric Dentistry residency
5. Public Health residency

While you are in residency you do not receive the monthly scholarship stipend. If you decide you want to do omfs, endo, perio, etc... You MUST fulfill your scholarship requirement first (ie fulfill your scholarship requirement, then go onto your residency of choice)

When you commit yourself to the scholarship, you have to agree to do one of the following:
1. No residency, immediately begin your fulfillment after graduation.
2. GPR/ AEGD residency
3. Pediatric Dentistry residency
5. Public Health residency

While you are in residency you do not receive the monthly scholarship stipend. If you decide you want to do omfs, endo, perio, etc... You MUST fulfill your scholarship requirement first (ie fulfill your scholarship requirement, then go onto your residency of choice)

To be clear-- after you complete a residency you go and work for a nhsc approved site for that specialty for the amount of time you accepted the scholarship (2-4 years). As a fair warning though, the job opportunities are really limited for Pedo and public health dentistry. If you decide to do either of these you better be reeeeally lax regarding where you end up for your commitment.

@Atticus: I'm a little confused as to the "exceptional financial need scholarship" portion of the application. I opened a new forum, but would appreciate any feedback you can provide. If you could PM me back, that'd be great! Thanks so much!