NHSC Scholarship 16/17

Started by medstar11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a few questions.

When did it start and how long did the 2016 cycle stay open.

Lastly, is there a letter of recommendation from a professor or a physician I need to send in to fulfill this application?
 
I have a few questions.

When did it start and how long did the 2016 cycle stay open.

Lastly, is there a letter of recommendation from a professor or a physician I need to send in to fulfill this application?
Well the application opened the beginning of March and closed last Thursday April 28th. You are required to submit 2 letters of recommendation one academic and one non academic so I had a letter from a professor and a physician


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I thought you had to apply to this around residency time. We can apply as OMSI's? I am about to start medical school in July, and wouldve applied if I knew I could!
 
I thought you had to apply to this around residency time. We can apply as OMSI's? I am about to start medical school in July, and wouldve applied if I knew I could!
You are able to apply any year except oms-4 but I am starting med school in July and am also crossing my fingers for this scholarship


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I had some free time and I reviewed last year's thread to get a general idea of what the timeline was for NHSC Scholarship applicants. If anyone has any more formal/official timelines, please correct my gibberish!

1. It looks like the first sign of movement are credit checks, from CREDCO, and they being around mid-June. From past comments, it looks like a credit check is required; however, there's a second batch of credit checks mid-July for a second round of applications going through review. I'm unsure if there's more than two rounds of checks. One commenter wrote that there is "no way you will be selected without a credit check."

Someone also mentioned that the first round of applications are reviewed from June 16th to the 26th. There was a couple questions about the first letter of applicants last names, some people suggested that applications move in ABC order. Obviously, I have no confirmation of that.

2. The first rounds of finalist letters were received via email starting mid July. I'm unsure if there is a second round. Also, a finalist letter is no guarantee of approval.

3. "Countersign" emails are sent late/mid August. I think this implies that someone was finally accepted in the NHSC scholarship program.

4. Tuition and stipends begin to disperse late October/early November.

Finally, one helpful commenter mentioned this: "I asked if we were not selected could we speak with someone who reviewed our application for constructive feedback/criticism. She stated that if not selected, the portal should provide you with a reason of why your application was not selected. I am first time applicant, I can't verify this statement."

Also, I'm unsure if the process is different for CRNPs vs. DO/MD vs. dentists.

Good luck to all!! :hello:
 
I had some free time and I reviewed last year's thread to get a general idea of what the timeline was for NHSC Scholarship applicants. If anyone has any more formal/official timelines, please correct my gibberish!

1. It looks like the first sign of movement are credit checks, from CREDCO, and they being around mid-June. From past comments, it looks like a credit check is required; however, there's a second batch of credit checks mid-July for a second round of applications going through review. I'm unsure if there's more than two rounds of checks. One commenter wrote that there is "no way you will be selected without a credit check."

Someone also mentioned that the first round of applications are reviewed from June 16th to the 26th. There was a couple questions about the first letter of applicants last names, some people suggested that applications move in ABC order. Obviously, I have no confirmation of that.

2. The first rounds of finalist letters were received via email starting mid July. I'm unsure if there is a second round. Also, a finalist letter is no guarantee of approval.

3. "Countersign" emails are sent late/mid August. I think this implies that someone was finally accepted in the NHSC scholarship program.

4. Tuition and stipends begin to disperse late October/early November.

Finally, one helpful commenter mentioned this: "I asked if we were not selected could we speak with someone who reviewed our application for constructive feedback/criticism. She stated that if not selected, the portal should provide you with a reason of why your application was not selected. I am first time applicant, I can't verify this statement."

Also, I'm unsure if the process is different for CRNPs vs. DO/MD vs. dentists.

Good luck to all!! :hello:
Seriously best thing to read! Thank you for figuring this out
 
Thanks for the info!!
you mentioned "It looks like the first sign of movement are credit checks, from CREDCO," how do you know your credit is checked?

do you recieve an email ?
 
I think some people mentioned that they checked CreditKarma or other credit monitoring services. I know my credit card has a free monitoring service. If you have a credit card, maybe see if there's a free service already available.
 
I know this scholarship pays for tuition and a living stipend. My school's COA is approx 71K - 73K. This is somewhat greater than most, because it is private. Will the NHSC scholarahip commit to the full 73K COA amount even though most are generally 30K - 50K?
 
I know this scholarship pays for tuition and a living stipend. My school's COA is approx 71K - 73K. This is somewhat greater than most, because it is private. Will the NHSC scholarahip commit to the full 73K COA amount even though most are generally 30K - 50K?
They only cover tuition and not cost of attendance


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh! Thanks for the clarification. I thought they also added in $ for living expenses

They provide a monthly [taxable] stipend that can be used for your living expenses (~1300 pretax I believe for this year), plus an annual Other Reasonable Costs (ORC) amount for things associated with schooling (equipment, etc.) if it's included in your school's COA sheet.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Hey everyone,

I applied for this cycle also. I am unsure how I feel about it at the present - limited freedom in career paths. However, I've been interested in child and adolescent psychiatry for a long time, and that is acceptable for the NHSC SP. I'm just also wondering how the career settings are - I like rural places, like Montana, Idaho... I want to be somewhere near the Rockies. I looked their map just to get an idea of how many approved sites there are. There looks to be quite a bit, which is good news.
 
I applied this year and submitted everything on the last day (April 28th?). Status is under review, but it looks like last year the first batch of credit checks from CredCo occurred on June 11th, so hopefully it is around the same time. I am still a little apprehensive about having my specialty selection narrowed, but honestly, I want to be able to do the most good for the most people, so it would work out.
Good luck to everyone applying and I hope that the best people will be selected that reflect the mission of the NHSC.
 
Why are credit checks being run? Is it to check and see if you are poor or rich?? Does having a good credit score help or hurt your chances? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, just not sure if that means only financially low income students may apply or not.
 
Why are credit checks being run? Is it to check and see if you are poor or rich?? Does having a good credit score help or hurt your chances? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, just not sure if that means only financially low income students may apply or not.
I think it is to make sure you haven't been in any major financial trouble where you defaulted on a loan or anything like that. Did your credit get checked already?
 
Do we get an email when the NHSC does a credit check on us?

I don't think so, at least it didn't look like it according to last years thread. I know some credit card services have free credit monitoring. I think Discover and Capital One have them. Otherwise, you can check your credit directly with the three main agencies (Equifax, Transunion... and one more I'm missing). However, if you check with those three agencies, it's not free and multiple checks will actually have a negative impact on your credit score.
 
I don't think so, at least it didn't look like it according to last years thread. I know some credit card services have free credit monitoring. I think Discover and Capital One have them. Otherwise, you can check your credit directly with the three main agencies (Equifax, Transunion... and one more I'm missing). However, if you check with those three agencies, it's not free and multiple checks will actually have a negative impact on your credit score.

You can check your report once each at the major credit agencies (Equifax, Transunion and Experian) for free once per year, after that they charge you. I don't think that lowers your credit score, but many hard checks (applying for credit cards, car loans, etc.) will.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
I don't think so, at least it didn't look like it according to last years thread. I know some credit card services have free credit monitoring. I think Discover and Capital One have them. Otherwise, you can check your credit directly with the three main agencies (Equifax, Transunion... and one more I'm missing). However, if you check with those three agencies, it's not free and multiple checks will actually have a negative impact on your credit score.
Checking your own credit has no impact on your credit score. It won't even show up as a "hard pull." Sign up for www.creditkarma.com and you can check there to see if a new inquiry has been posted.
 
Thank you so much for all this information, everyone! I think i'll wait a couple weeks and then try calling them to see if they've run a credit check and if they can't tell me that information i'll just run a check on my self.
 
Does anyone know if they would reimburse a laptop under the ORC? It does say "Computer Fees" under eligible coverage, but I'm wondering if that's just a technology fee...
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know if they would reimburse a laptop under the ORC? It does say "Computer Fees" under eligible coverage, but I'm wondering if that's just a technology fee...


They do cover a computer if it's required by your school to have one. I don't know what their "limit" is, but I'm going to assume that it will be the same limit that your school puts on the financial aid form (I have a $1,500 stipend figured into my tuition and fees for a computer).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

Looks like there is an update tonight coming. Maybe we will get some news?? Looks like, historically, at times an update was indicative of some news.
 
It says it on the top of the application site. They've had several updates already, but I'm hoping this one shows some change in our side.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

It would correspond to the date of last year's start to the credit checks so I am hoping as well.
 
It says it on the top of the application site. They've had several updates already, but I'm hoping this one shows some change in our side.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Where in the application?
I logged in but i do not see where it says there are updates tonight...
my application said the site will undergo maintenance but not mentioning status updates. thanks and good luck 🙂
 
For those of you who don't also follow the dental forum people are reporting credit checks done on the 14th. For people who use credit karma it is only updated once a week so just be aware on which date your current report is from. For example my report is from June 13th so I will not have an updated one until the 20th


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
 
For those of you who don't also follow the dental forum people are reporting credit checks done on the 14th. For people who use credit karma it is only updated once a week so just be aware on which date your current report is from. For example my report is from June 13th so I will not have an updated one until the 20th


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Where is the dental forum? Can you post the link. Thanks a lot for the updates..
 
I last updated my CreditKarma on June 13tg also...tempted to pay the $1 to get my credit report.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys got my credit checked by credco on 6/14 . And just so u know there is another NHSC thread that has more updates going on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile
 
Just pulled my annual credit report for Equifax. I have an inquiry on 6/14 from Credco!

Sorry for so many posts, I probably could have condensed these, but I obviously have nothing better to be doing at work today.