NHSC Scholarship Program 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess they are those applicants that fit the NHSC scholarship profile but if they have bad credits, kabush!

So, if the NHSC did a credit check on you, and you are NOT a member of the current finalist group, it means either one of these two:

a) you are on their waiting-list group or,
b) your credit report stinks!!! Thus, their logic is as followed: if you can't commit to pay your bills, how the hell r u going to commit to your NHSC contract?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...they r off 'till Tuesday!! oh well!!! :mad:

Well, I guess they are playing hard to get. I emailed last night asking for the contract and the fax cover sheet since it was not included in her original email, or in the next email that was just a copy of a finalist's fax saying that they didn't include the contract or cover sheet. I also asked other questions about our status as finalists as well. Then I tried calling the analyst a couple times today to try to confirm my email and get the attachments, but got the voicemail both times. The second time I went to leave a msg but the mailbox was full.

So, I accepted online finally, but I am not sure about what to do for the documents. Should I send the bank info and W4 in? Or should I send it all at once? Do one of you more legitimate finalists want to fwd those over to me? Would it be fishy if I obtained the attachments from another source? Maybe I should just email and say I am interested and will return the documents ASAP when I receive them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I guess they are playing hard to get. I emailed last night asking for the contract and the fax cover sheet since it was not included in her original email, or in the next email that was just a copy of a finalist's fax saying that they didn't include the contract or cover sheet. I also asked other questions about our status as finalists as well. Then I tried calling the analyst a couple times today to try to confirm my email and get the attachments, but got the voicemail both times. The second time I went to leave a msg but the mailbox was full.

So, I accepted online finally, but I am not sure about what to do for the documents. Should I send the bank info and W4 in? Or should I send it all at once? Do one of you more legitimate finalists want to fwd those over to me? Would it be fishy if I obtained the attachments from another source? Maybe I should just email and say I am interested and will return the documents ASAP when I receive them?

superman, if you msg me your email address, i can send you the blank contract

Same as the others now, "Final Review."

Thanks, I sent you my email.

These people are federal employees! Most federal employees that I know left work REAL early today! I would not be surprised if she did not show up at all for work today!

I guess they are those applicants that fit the NHSC scholarship profile but if they have bad credits, kabush!

So, if the NHSC did a credit check on you, and you are NOT a member of the current finalist group, it means either one of these two:

a) you are on their waiting-list group or,
b) your credit report stinks!!! Thus, their logic is as followed: if you can't commit to pay your bills, how the hell r u going to commit to your NHSC contract?

Any thoughts?

I don't know how much a credit score itself matters (with all due humility, I had zero negative reports on my Experian). There was a requirement that NHSC Scholars hadn't defaulted on federal loans or federally backed loans like Fannie Mae, student loans, back taxes, etc. I don't know that someone with a low credit score would necessarily be excluded from the program as long as it didn't involve federal financing.

I don't know how much a credit score itself matters (with all due humility, I had zero negative reports on my Experian). There was a requirement that NHSC Scholars hadn't defaulted on federal loans or federally backed loans like Fannie Mae, student loans, back taxes, etc. I don't know that someone with a low credit score would necessarily be excluded from the program as long as it didn't involve federal financing.

I agree. I think they were looking for defaults and bankruptcies. Those were the only requirements.

Hi,

I didn't get the contact and couldn't get in contact with them either today, could anyone send me the contract so that I could fax it in tomorrow. Thank you have a great night. Also so has it been established that this is pretty much se in stone that you get it if you complete this five day thing.

+1.

Defaulting on federal obligations was one of the disqualifying factors.

It makes sense then! So, unless you defaulted on a fed backed loan, you are either a finalist or a waiting-list candidate if a background check have been done on you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I didn't get the contact and couldn't get in contact with them either today, could anyone send me the contract so that I could fax it in tomorrow. Thank you have a great night. Also so has it been established that this is pretty much se in stone that you get it if you complete this five day thing.

Message me with your email address.

These people are federal employees! Most federal employees that I know left work REAL early today! I would not be surprised if she did not show up at all for work today!

Actually in her defense, she emailed me back last night a few minutes before midnight. The first time I got in contact with her was after 5 as well.

As to the emails. She responded to my first request about getting the contract and my questions about being a finalist. Unfortunately the contract still wasn't attached so luckily I got it from posting here. She emphasized that this was an opportunity but that she was hopeful. So I think they are still being careful they don't overpromise. Which seems possible with the email and attachment hurdles. However, I still think we don't have too much to worry about.

Then she responded to my next email which was my attachments. She said I could email them in the first email so I did. She said she was forwarding them on for processing since she is out till Wednesday. However, I'm a little worried they may not make it with the email. Should I fax as well? I imagine I am okay since no one will be in till Tuesday and at least I have an email sent with my portal acceptance as well. Makes me a little nervous though.

Hey Guys!

I just stumbled across this forum while doing some blog stalking of my own regarding finalists for the NHSC this year. Just to throw in my two cents with the tiny amount of information I've discovered: I'm not sure that being a finalist means that you are guaranteed getting the award.

I got this impression by talking with the NHSC liaison at my school (a faculty member who works with the program, not someone who works for the program). She was congratulatory, but when I asked she said it really isn't that great of an indication on whether or not you get the scholarship. Obviously it's a step it the right direction (yeah us!) but she wasn't all that positive.

For numbers purposes: I know of at least 3 people in my program of 55 who are finalists and we have had 1 who got the award the last 3 years and 2 the year before that. I have no idea how many people were finalists in those years though...

Anyway, I'm not sure this is news people will want to hear, but I thought I'd at least put the info out there! I'm glad there are people out here updating- I'll definitely be checking back to see what you guys have to say and anything you find out :).

I've still got my fingers crossed for all of us!

Have a good holiday weekend everyone!

I got this impression by talking with the NHSC liaison at my school (a faculty member who works with the program, not someone who works for the program). She was congratulatory, but when I asked she said it really isn't that great of an indication on whether or not you get the scholarship. Obviously it's a step it the right direction (yeah us!) but she wasn't all that positive.

Did u ask her how then does the NHSC make the decision on the FINALISTS who get the scholarship or not????

What's the criteria?

For numbers purposes: I know of at least 3 people in my program of 55 who are finalists and we have had 1 who got the award the last 3 years and 2 the year before that. I have no idea how many people were finalists in those years though...

The above statement is a bit confusing. Do you mean the following?

1. In your current class/program, there are 4 finalists (including you, I assume).

2. However, in the other class, there was 1 student who got the award for 3 years (maybe you meant he/she received the award 3 years ago) . Another 2 got it last year.

Last edited:
The above statement is a bit confusing. Do you mean the following?

1. In your current class/program, there are 4 finalists (including you, I assume).

2. However, in the other class, there was 1 student who got the award for 3 years (maybe you meant he/she received the award 3 years ago) . Another 2 got it last year.

I'm confused, too. His post also reminded me of something you said earlier, Robu, how it seems like this years process is much different than prior years.

Happy September 3rd ... 27 days left to hear "official" word

I'm confused, too. His post also reminded me of something you said earlier, Robu, how it seems like this years process is much different than prior years.

Happy September 3rd ... 27 days left to hear "official" word

Yeah..We will see if E1234 is right, but I am inclined to believe NHSC have changed their criteria in selecting finalists. One of the apparent changes in this year selection process is that ONLY the finalists were informed of a decision (based on SDN self-reporting). However, years prior, both the finalists and the finalists-in-waiting (waiting-listers) were informed at the same time!

Unless otherwise proven, I am gonna be skeptical and believe in my original hypothesis that the scholarship is the finalists to lose!

OR

E1234 could be a troll! Just saying!!!

It will be interesting to see what ends up being the case regarding finalists. While I agree with the fact that it seems like there are more finalists this year than previous years, I keep thinking about what notsosuperman posted a few days ago. He said that the analyst @ NHSC reported to him that so many finalists declined interest in the program, that they had to go back to the drawing board and ask more people if they would want to be finalists.

If they were selecting from a pool of finalists larger than the 120 available spots after the finalist deadline (before contacting people like notsosuperman), why would they care about deeming more individuals finalists? They would just to have to end up denying more people here within the next few weeks, which seems like an epic waste of time.

I hope this makes sense.

On a random note, notsosuperman.... In terms of tuition, are you in-state or out of state?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what ends up being the case regarding finalists. While I agree with the fact that it seems like there are more finalists this year than previous years, I keep thinking about what notsosuperman posted a few days ago. He said that the analyst @ NHSC reported to him that so many finalists declined interest in the program, that they had to go back to the drawing board and ask more people if they would want to be finalists.

If they were selecting from a pool of finalists larger than the 120 available spots to after the finalist deadline (before contacting people like notsosuperman), why would they care about deeming more individuals finalists? They would just to have to end up denying more people here within the next few weeks, which seems like an epic waste of time. ?

It is logic like yours and mime that make me think that we are dealing with a troller. He fits the profile until proven otherwise!

Last edited:
I will again agree with Atticus and Robu that E1234 is a troll, his/her very first post negates the shared logic we developed over the past few weeks. We were (mostly) notified of being finalists on August 19, two weeks ago, how could he/she have "just" found SDN now?

I completely agree that denying people after taking that highly sensitive information from us is a bad plan, even beyond government style screw-ups. Think of how many people have had access to our bank account numbers, SSN, credit report, etc and the potential for identity theft that they opened us up to. Why would they do that if they weren't going to use that information to give us scholarships?

And the question Robu has asked a couple of times has not been answered: how would they weed out finalists at this point? If they had already rank ordered us, they wouldn't have asked #121 (assuming there are 120 scholarships to go around) on the list for their bank information unless they had a slot for that person. Maybe they weeded out some by credit report on August 15 but in that case, they wouldn't have been notified that they were a finalist.

If they had already rank ordered us, they wouldn't have asked #121 (assuming there are 120 scholarships to go around) on the list for their bank information unless they had a slot for that person. Maybe they weeded out some by credit report on August 15 but in that case, they wouldn't have been notified that they were a finalist.

..yup and #121 in our group would be notsosuperman. He has recently been offered a finalist spot (more than 1 week after the fact). If they were "weeding" the finalists out, think about it, they would have NEVER offered notsosuperman, our late comer, a finalist spot at this point of the process!!! We would have to compete among ourselves, those that received the Aug 19th email!

Last edited:
Where did you get this info? SDN?

Yeah, just from doing searches on previous threads, it just seems like there are more of us this year posting on SDN than the previous couple of years... It could be purely coincidental though.

Yeah, just from doing searches on previous threads, it just seems like there are more of us this year posting on SDN than the previous couple of years... It could be purely coincidental though.

You shouldn't make that leap, Atticus! It could be that more people are posting about their status this year than last year! Unless you see the raw data, you should be careful in making such comparison!

You shouldn't make that leap, Atticus! It could be that more people are posting about their status this year than last year! Unless you see the raw data, you should be careful in making such comparison!

According to NHSC data, they had ~210 awardees last year. This year its being halved ... there's no way they would select MORE finalists if they were offering significantly less awards.

My gut tells me we've been on the right track and that E1234 is hating.

Wow, sorry to cause so much angst. I sincerely wish all of you the best of luck with this process. I in no way intended to naysay your logic- in fact, I have found it quite comforting over the past few weeks as I too have been anxious about this waiting process. I merely wished to add the few small facts I have accumulated to the general pool of knowledge. I, like you, certainly hope that finalist equals awardee.

I won't be posting any more after this (after googling what a 'troll' in blog land is I decided my first foray would be my last). However, I wanted to answer robu058's questions quickly. My program had one person win the award in each of the last three classes, with the class four years ago having two people win the award (total of 5 people over 4 years). I'm not sure how many years they were awarded for, but I assume it was all of them? The year I am in has 3 people that I know of who have been given finalist notifications (including myself=3 total).

Unfortunately, I didn't ask my faculty member too much. Our program only started a few weeks ago (I'm a first year) and I didn't want to be too pushy. The tidbits I got from her were only because I ran into her by the copy machine when I was faxing in my documents. I definitely wanted to grill her though...

Anyway, best of luck to all of you. I certainly thought the logic in the thread was sound and think it's definitely a possibility the finalist process has changed. I'm sorry if I caused anyone undue stress- I thought people would be interested in the small amount of information I could add to the general pot.

Have a good memorial day!

Perhaps in our enthusiasm we were a little quick to call troll. After all, this was my first posting on SDN. His news wasn't terrible, just a relating of what a faculty at his school felt, which I personally would think was a little too guarded of optimism given the lack of a an actual example in the forum posts of finalists not getting an award (that I know of at least). So, E1234, you are welcome to stay and post as much as us all, and congratulations. Let's hope your faculty is just playing it safe. After all, anytime you are potentially giving away a quarter of a million dollars, you want to make sure you don't guarantee until you know you can deliver.

As for me, I am an in state student at Pitt, but I am only applying for NHSC for these last two years of school (just started my third year).

I am a graduate student getting my MSN in Nurse midwifery and Women's Health NP, I was notifed last friday that I too am a finalist! Lots of my questions were answered by browsing through and seems like other are also worried about the same things I am. I am very appreciative that this forum is around. I couldnt find another space where folks are talking so much about this Scholarship program & how frustrating it can be. Thanks for the advice in calling to confirm the faxed materials were recieved. I sent my materials in today but didnt do that, I will definitly do that tomorow morning!

I hope to recieve an award, my finger & toes are crossed! Good luck to all those selected as finalists!

Hi I am also a graduate student getting my MSN to become a Family Nurse Practitioner. I recieved an e-mail stated that I was one of the finalist for the scholarship and that I had 5 steps to complete in order to still qualify for the scholarship. I have done most of the steps however, I am unable to open the attached file that they sent me that has the contract and the document that is needs to be filled out and faxed in. I have called and e-mail them and I have had no luck in getting in touch with them or opening the file. If you or someone could e-mail me the link or tell me where I can find these items I would appreciate it greatly.....

With my super-sleuthing skills, I have been checking this site, the NHSC facebook group and allnurses.com (yes, it is a different scholarship with different deadline and apparently they get a credit check and maybe some other differences). The nurses were supposed to hear by today and the same kind of process went down with a "finalist" email and now there is even more anxiety, and some hostility, on that thread.

I agree with Atticus and Inngu that there is no evidence that finalists have not gotten awards in years past. I did not receive an email on Friday August 26, but I did get one on Friday August 19. My status still says "final review". I don't know if they contacted my school or not but I did get that phone call from Frank from NHSC last Wednesday and he told me we'd hear by "late" this week. I know they were going to tell us by September 31 but I sure would love to cancel the giant loans that just disbursed for this semester without accruing too much interest.

I am cautiously optimistic that I will see you at the awardee conference.

Hi I am also a graduate student getting my MSN to become a Family Nurse Practitioner. I recieved an e-mail stated that I was one of the finalist for the scholarship and that I had 5 steps to complete in order to still qualify for the scholarship. I have done most of the steps however, I am unable to open the attached file that they sent me that has the contract or the document that needs to be filled out and faxed in. I have called and e-mail them and I have had no luck in getting in touch with them or opening the file. If you or someone could e-mail me the link or tell me where I can find these items I would appreciate it greatly.....

Private message me with your email and I can send you the contract. Good luck and congrats.

I just love this forum! I have been reading it for a while and it is so helpful. I too got the email with the attachments that were not attached correctly, talk about frustrating! I was able to get the documents from another student in my program but I was still lacking an ID number when I sent mine in (hopefully this will not hurt my chances).
I wanted to share with everyone what the other girl in my program told me. She said that when she talked to Ms. Hill (who is also my contact, not sure if she is everyone's?) that Ms. Hill said that if she got her papers in on time that she would be receiving the scholarship. I figured that this was good news until I started thinking about the fact that this other girl was notified of her scholarship before me.. so I am not sure if this only applies to the people that were emailed the first day, or if it is everyone that has been emailed/called at this point.
Another comment, for the troll, I am sorry that people jumped on you. You were the first person to bring any negativity into the forum and everyone had an emotional response to it. Thank you for sharing with us and I apologize for human nature. However, I don't think your faculty member knows much about the NHSC program or the madness of how they pick people so I would not listen to her. :)
Good luck everyone.. this waiting is horrible and is not having a good affect on my grades!

I just love this forum! I have been reading it for a while and it is so helpful. I too got the email with the attachments that were not attached correctly, talk about frustrating! I was able to get the documents from another student in my program but I was still lacking an ID number when I sent mine in (hopefully this will not hurt my chances).
I wanted to share with everyone what the other girl in my program told me. She said that when she talked to Ms. Hill (who is also my contact, not sure if she is everyone's?) that Ms. Hill said that if she got her papers in on time that she would be receiving the scholarship. I figured that this was good news until I started thinking about the fact that this other girl was notified of her scholarship before me.. so I am not sure if this only applies to the people that were emailed the first day, or if it is everyone that has been emailed/called at this point.
Another comment, for the troll, I am sorry that people jumped on you. You were the first person to bring any negativity into the forum and everyone had an emotional response to it. Thank you for sharing with us and I apologize for human nature. However, I don't think your faculty member knows much about the NHSC program or the madness of how they pick people so I would not listen to her. :)
Good luck everyone.. this waiting is horrible and is not having a good affect on my grades!

Thanks for posting! This waiting is hurting me, too! We have our first exams next week, and my favorite procrastination activity is checking the forum! Your post is just another positive reinforcement for all of us to calm and and be confidently patient :)
I must admit, the "troll" (I had NO idea what a troll was b/f this) and our responses have amused me to no end.

26 days left, you guys!

It came to my attention that the new finalists might NOT have received the complete instructions that we, the original ones, have received. In anyway, when faxing your documents, make sure to include the followings:

1 BCRSIS Banking Receipt
2 NHSC SP Contract – SIGNED (1x for each year) --> form was attached with the email
3 IRS W-4 Completed and SIGNED
4 Completed Fax Cover Sheet (With Applicant ID#) --> form was attached with the email

The instructions for the above could be found on page 1 (post #44) of this forum. if you need the links and the documents, pm one of the original finalists with your email address.

PS: if you can't find your Applicant ID#, call on Tuesday to get one or include your social security number instead of applicant ID. I am not a NHSC representative, so don't hold me accountable, but the info that I posted is what I would have done if I was in your shoes!

Last edited:
Hello all! I have been following this thread for some time now. I just wanted to let everyone that has been posting know how much I appreciate the insight. I am a Physician Assistant student, and received my "Final Review" status back on the 19th, like most everyone else :)

Has anyone thought about / researched doing a SEARCH clinical rotation? If we become NHSC Scholars, what effect do you all think it would have on our application for the program? Seems like a good opportunity to travel, and gain some more experience in working with the undeserved populations.

Congrats to everyone for pursuing such a respectable cause!!!

Hello all! I have been following this thread for some time now. I just wanted to let everyone that has been posting know how much I appreciate the insight. I am a Physician Assistant student, and received my "Final Review" status back on the 19th, like most everyone else :)

Has anyone thought about / researched doing a SEARCH clinical rotation? If we become NHSC Scholars, what effect do you all think it would have on our application for the program? Seems like a good opportunity to travel, and gain some more experience in working with the undeserved populations.

Congrats to everyone for pursuing such a respectable cause!!!

I considered a SEARCH rotation. Unfortunately, the length of the rotations (4-8 weeks) are longer than the amount of time I get off, for the summer. They do seem like good learning opportunities, though, especially if you can find one that will have an opening by the time your service commitment comes up.

Hey guys I just wanted to let everyone know that I actually talked to one of the NHSC adminstrators and they informed me that they are actually processing Apps today... So maybe we will hear back something from them before the week is out.... Also they mentioned that they had alot of computer glitches and some of the finalist did not actually recieve everything but I think they would like for everything to be in by today .......:)

Hey guys I just wanted to let everyone know that I actually talked to one of the NHSC adminstrators and they informed me that they are actually processing Apps today... So maybe we will hear back something from them before the week is out.... Also they mentioned that they had alot of computer glitches and some of the finalist did not actually recieve everything but I think they would like for everything to be in by today .......:)

Did the administrator that you spoke to imply that notified finalists would receive awards? What does "processing" mean?

I'm happy to hear that people are getting answers from NHSC! 24 days until the notification deadline :)

I just talked to an analyst to verify my contract was received. I asked if finalist meant we received the award or not. He said he couldn't confirm anything but said things were "looking very good, very very good." I'm pretty sure that applies to every finalist since I had only mentioned my name at the beginning of the call and he hadn't looked anything up. So, I think that pretty much confirms the general feeling.

I just talked to an analyst to verify my contract was received. I asked if finalist meant we received the award or not. He said he couldn't confirm anything but said things were "looking very good, very very good." I'm pretty sure that applies to every finalist since I had only mentioned my name at the beginning of the call and he hadn't looked anything up. So, I think that pretty much confirms the general feeling.

Your ability to get a straight answer from those people is nothing short of miraculous. You ought to change your handle to Superman.

Aight, ladies and gents, we're being too stiff, too serious! Let's have some fun while waiting patiently for the NHSC peeps, shall we? Check these out...lololol too funny

------
Woman bites off tongue of would-be rapist...lololololololol So, you gonna rape someone and to add insult to injuries, you want intimacy by wanting to french kiss the victim too??? What's wrong with these people???

http://www.thelocal.se/35968/20110906/

It reminds me of the ShamWow guy..lolololol

http://gawker.com/5187540/shamwow-guy-beats-up-cannibal-hooker

Last edited:
Just find out that their internal deadline is this week. However, it might take another week for the award to be finalized!

We will see:xf:

Just find out that their internal deadline is this week. However, it might take another week for the award to be finalized!

We will see:xf:

Ever the optimist, huh? I have resigned myself to hearing on September 31. Any word before then will be a nice bonus. But I started school this week and the remnants of Hurricane Lee are making this a very gloomy, wet, cold, dreary day. Sigh. There, now I'm more depressed about the weather then NHSC's silence.

Just think of how impatience we'll be when do get the award notification.... and then WAITING to get the award itself and into our bank accounts.

Haha. Patience is a virtue indeed! I'm glad you guys are here so that I don't feel like a freak for being so annnnntsy.

Did the administrator that you spoke to imply that notified finalists would receive awards? What does "processing" mean?

I'm happy to hear that people are getting answers from NHSC! 24 days until the notification deadline :)

Processing means: determining who will recieve the award.

I did talk back to the adminstrator today and she said they will try to have the award letters or e-mail notifications sent out within the next week.... They also pointed out that they were working on finalist selections as we were speaking. I also asked if we will see a change in our status on the application login website and they stated Yes.

So Good luck everyone we will know very soon I hope. ...

I spoke with someone from NHSC just now to inquire more about how they would determine who would receive the award!

First of all, they say at this point all the finalists "passed" their screening process or met their selection criteria (Pheewwww)! It was based on transcript, essays, LOR (letter of recommendations), etc and, to my surprise, we were all ranked (so I heard). The next phase in determining who gets the award depends on how much $ that congress allocates to NHSC. If congress funds their requested budget proposal for the scholarship, all of us who complied with their email would get the award.

If not (worst case senario), they would determine how many people would get the scholarship based on the money congress allocates them. Then, they would use the ranked list as described above! My feeling while talking to them is that if a "finalist" does not get the scholarship, don't blame us, blame congress!!

Well, it all makes sense now!!!!! However, I am still confused about 2 things though:

1) What about those who receive the late finalist notification email. Were they originally wait-listed as we have postulated? or were they the original finalists, just like we were, but due to whatever reasons (i.e., computer glitches), they did not receive the notification until about 1 1/2 week later?? Please opine!

2) When do congress approve federal budget? Generally, a federal budget for FY2011 should be approved/begin on Oct, 2010; if approved, the fund should have been processed by Nov 2010. If that's the case, shouldn't NHSC administrators already know how much money they have for this year?

Or do they lump us in their FY2012 budget proposal? That is, based on the number of finalists they have, they would formulate their budget! Then, pass this number to some congressional aides on the appropriations committee to anticipate whether or not they would get the funding come October. If they get a positive review, they could go ahead and award all of us the scholarship. If not, they would cut down on the scholarship recipient based on the number agreed upon.

I think my latter theory makes sense since based on the past NHSC threads, everyone received their award money the first week of November. If that's the case, NHSC would lump us in the in their FY2012 budget. Again, what say you??

Last edited:
Notsosuperman, there is link promulgated here on how to check your credit report for free on either page 2 or 3 of this thread!

Can you check when did NHSC do a credit check on you??

If it was on Aug 15 as was the case with all of us the "original" finalist, then I think it means that you were also an original finalist but you got your notification late!

If in fact they did a credit check on you on the 15th, then I am inclined to go with my 2nd theory that NHSC lumps us in their FY2012 budget proposal!