NHSC Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrsburr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would like to add any information they have on the taxation issue of the NHSC Scholarship and if any scholars would divulge how well they enjoy the scholarship and its benefits. I am looking forward to any and all replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to say.... that I did call about the taxation.... after they gave me a couple of run arounds, I finally got a person's name, but the only thing available was an answering machine.... I'll attempt again tomorrow.... I'll post up anything I can find....

Does any of the recipient care to help us NHSC hopefuls on this topic? We'd truly appreciate it!!!

Here's the number they gave me of a "David R." Didn't hear the last name too well...

(301)594-0293

They told me that this guy can answer the taxation questions.... Maybe you'll have better luck than I.... But I won't stop trying until I get an answer.

Can I suggest asking after your interview. The interviewers make it a point to have at least one representative in every interview site. So look for the person and if you have any info please post up, I'd appreciate it as well.

Any others, care to join in about NHSC Scholarship program. Please just post up!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no response from this David "Rand" guy.... Apparently, he is being bombarded with phone calls regarding the taxation issues.... He claims that he will call within 24hours time.... I'm WAITING!!! I left a message again.... Anyone have luck with this guy?

Day two.... STILL NO FREAKIN' PHONE CALL!!! Anyone have any luck?! or Anyone who actually has experience with the taxation of the NHSC Scholarship? We'd greatly appreciate your help.... :D

From what I understand the scholarship is considered taxable income. A W-2 form needs to be filled out. If you look at a tax table you could estimate the amount of tax based on your total income from the scholarship. In my case that would be around $45,000 (tuition, fees, insurance, stipend). I am a single. The federal tax on that for year 2000 is $9100. Hopefully there will be some tax relief. IMO, it doesn't seem fair that the military scholarship is tax-free when the NHSC is taxed. If I'm accepted into the program, I will accept the scholarship whether I pay taxes or not.

Thank you jean for sharin' that!!!

I will most certainly look at a W-2 form and see where I fall under.

Just wanted to share the same sentiments about the Armed Forces HPSP not being taxed as oppose to the NHSC.... Bummer!!! I guess COngress has the move their butts with the propositions being passed.... thanks again.

I just got my letter saying that I was on the alternate list for the NHSC scholarship. Did anybody else get it? If so, are you going to keep it?

Apple.... I received mines today as well and got accepted.... I wish you luck and hopefully someone else doesn't take it....

Good luck and best wishes!!!

Apple,
I think there will be a few people who change there mind at the last sec and drop the scholarship. So, depending on how far you on the waitlist, I think you have a strong chace at gettin it.

Popoy,
Hey congratulations. I got the award too. Who knows, maybe we'll end up serving together at the end of residency someday.

Peace

Originally posted by prolixless:
•Apple,
I think there will be a few people who change there mind at the last sec and drop the scholarship. So, depending on how far you on the waitlist, I think you have a strong chace at gettin it.

Popoy,
Hey congratulations. I got the award too. Who knows, maybe we'll end up serving together at the end of residency someday.

Peace•

I agree with proxiless.... Don't give up hope apple!!!....

proxiless, maybe we will end up serving together :D.... I'll look forward to meeting you during our special conference ;)

Congratulations guys!!!!

Have you guys started school yet? I officially started last Wednesday and I have enough notes for a month already :eek: So far, everything seems cool but I'll know for sure after my first exam on Monday.

I started.... Have fun during your orientation 'cause when classes starts.... IT STARTS!!! :D

apple638... any news on the NHSC yet regarding your alternate list?

I finalize my documents for the NHSC today.... it's in the mail... :)

I'll cross my fingers for you apple...hope you get it....

I had my first test on Monday so I guess I can exhale for a whole minute before I start freaking about about my test on next Monday (lol).

I was told by the NHSC people that I can't be told what number I am on the alternate list and that I would just have to wait until people started declining the scholarship. I should know by Sept. 30 at the latest.

Originally posted by apple638:
•I had my first test on Monday so I guess I can exhale for a whole minute before I start freaking about about my test on next Monday (lol).

I was told by the NHSC people that I can't be told what number I am on the alternate list and that I would just have to wait until people started declining the scholarship. I should know by Sept. 30 at the latest.•

Apple,

If it makes you feel any better, I know at least one person who declined the scholarship at my school (COMP). She decided to take the navy scholarship instead.

If one wanted to apply for a NHSC schol for the 2002 entering class, when should one get cracking on it? ie how long can I put it off before it'll start hurting my chances.

Originally posted by jimjones:
•If one wanted to apply for a NHSC schol for the 2002 entering class, when should one get cracking on it? ie how long can I put it off before it'll start hurting my chances.•

I don't think the apps will come out till Dec/Jan/Feb.... But you can call the NHSC office and place your name on the list of people interested so that as soon as the apps become available, they'll send one to you.

You might want to search the forums for other NHSC threads.... I know I've placed the dates of my apps, interview, etc. that shows what you may be up against....

Good luck