Niacin side effect of hyperglycemia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am reading page 281 of FA 2013. It indicates that niacin is inhibiting lipolysis in adipose tissue but still results in hyperglycemia? Is this by some effect in the liver as it also reduces VLDL secretion from the liver?

I would see if anything hypoglycemia, not hyperglycemia.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure, but hyperglycaemia definitely occurs with niacin, as does gout.

I've seen the niacin-hyperglycaemia question show up before. They'll basically tell you a diabetic person is taking niacin and then they'll ask if he or she needs more, less or the same amount of his or her meds. The answer is more.

I've seen the niacin-hyperglycaemia question show up before. They'll basically tell you a diabetic person is taking niacin and then they'll ask if he or she needs more, less or the same amount of his or her meds. The answer is more.

There was also a question where a certain drug required (opposite) changes to both anti-HTN dosing and anti-DM dosing (in the same patient). Do you remember what drug that was? I didn't make a note of it :(

THanks so much. Doesn't make sense to me since you would be seeing less lipolysis, but I guess something we'll just have to remember.

Thanks for the tip.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was also a question where a certain drug required (opposite) changes to both anti-HTN dosing and anti-DM dosing (in the same patient). Do you remember what drug that was? I didn't make a note of it :(

i think this was the niacin question he was talking about; decrease HTN dose, increase DM dose when giving niacin for hyperlipidemia tx.