Niche

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arpitpatel86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
destroyer 200

Which statement is false?

A. if two organisms occupy the same niche, the will compete for food
b. if two organisms occupy the same niche, they will mate at the same of the year
c.the clmax community is the most stable community marked by a large biomass w/ no env. changes
d. the role that an organism occupies within an ecosystem is its niche
e. All are true

can some1 please explain C to me....i thought two organisms cant occupy the same niche let alone mate at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

B is true because if there were two organisms that occupied the same niche they would do everything exactly the same. I think that kaplan may have mentioned that this is almost impossible? If not, it's really unlikely for it to happen, because one species would probably kill the other one off. So you can think of two species occupying the same niche as being some ideal theory, not something that could actually happen.

C is the definition of climax community. I think that I read a volcanic erruption example somewhere. Some smaller bactera live on the hardened lava rock, plants follow, animals come to eat the plants, animals come to eat the animals. These rapid changes go on until a stable ecosystem is formed, like a forest or something. The forest is the climax community.

i thought two organisms cant occupy the same niche let alone mate at the same time?
i think they are referring to two organisms within the same species

based on the competitive exlusion principle, two species that compete for the same niche cannot coexist

climax community is when you get tall large (hence large biomass) trees come in to an area to stablize.
bacteria->lichens->grasses-> small trees -> large trees

bacteria allow lichens which break rocks/minerals = soil, grasses grow, attract insects and birds, so you get seeds of small trees, and those provide environment for large trees to come in (oaks, etc)

2 species can not coexist in the same niche, usually one specialize or both specialize.

Members don't see this ad :)
if one said the answer is E, that all are true...wouldnt that technically be saying the statement "all are true" is a false statement? :laugh: