niche...don't get what happens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentgirl08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if two diff species share a niche...do they compete for the same resources and succeed in living on two separate places (like realized niche) or does one become extinct...?

Members don't see this ad.

According to Kaplan,

If two different species share a similar niche (meaning that they compete for at least one resource), one of three things will happen:

1. Eventually through competition, one of the two species will become extinct.

2. In certain areas, one species will disappear and in other areas, the other species will disappear.

3. Divergent evolution will arise causing both species to evolve, leading to both of them taking up different niches.

i thought 2 species cant have the same niche....every species has its own specific niche but within the same species (same niche) there can be intraspecies competition.....also for what i think your asking, 2 different species can occupy the same environment (interspecies competition) and compete which leads to one of the 3 things above...im not sure though if i am completely correct

Two members of the same species can share the same niche.

Two members of different species cannot share the same niche. But if they do share a similar niche, according to Kaplan, one of the three above things will happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
see - i don't recall where i had this question - but it was where i had to choose between 1 becomes extinct or they compete for the same resources and i chose the first one...and i was wrong...and i can't seem to find the test where i had that wrong... =/

This is partly true but there are always exceptions. (ex.Lichens (other symbionts) (fungus/algae/bacteria) share the same niche) I always heard that if two species end up exploiting the same niche (founder effect of speciation) then nature will select to eleviate the competition. It does so throught the above 3 examples. I would have to say that most of the time the two different species will continue to diverge until two distinct niches have been uncovered.

Another possible outcome is that both species occupying the same niche can coexsist. As a result the population of both species decreases due to less resources available.