NIDCR Summer Dental Award

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kato999

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of my fellow SDNers have done this program or know someone who has. I couldn't find much with a search.

Is is a good experience? I was accepted and was wondering if anyone knows anything about housing, what there is to do outside of Bethesda, dress code etc.

Thanks

For those that don't know what it is here is the link:

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/Training/SummerDentalStudentAward.htm

Members don't see this ad.

i have to stay awake somehow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I did it after my first year. I wanted to live in DC so I found a sublet on craigslist. You can look for stuff in Bethesda if you want, there's lots of places near the NIH and a lot of students/younger people live there. There's not housing available on campus sine that's reserved for the HHMI and Cloister people. I had a good time but mostly that'll depend on your mentor/lab. Each experience is individual. There is no dress code, you just have to be wearing your nametag when entering buildings. I'd recommend living in DC if you can, you'll have more fun there than in Bethesda (although Bethesda isn't bad). If you have any other questions, lemme know.

thanks for the reply. I sent you a pm.

and of course, please consider the HHMI/Cloister program.

it's just awesome

:thumbup:

yeah i neglected to mention that. if you really want a good experience, get published, etc, do the HHMI, Cloister, or clinical program. it's better than just a summer if you can take the year off.

I don't think I would get clearance to take a year off. plus, I own my place and do not rent so that would be a pain.

I year break from dental school doesn't sound all that bad though :rolleyes:

Yeah I applied to that program, haven't heard back yet. Anyone know how difficult it is to get accepted?

thanks

I'll be going this summer as well. Do you know if I'll be able to live in DC if I'm not bringing a car? I'll have to take metro, or walk. Let me know if you guys know of any other good areas to live in, and what else we can do to prepare for this summer o fun.

I have heard you don't need a car as the metro is pretty good. I am still bringing one because I have family/friends in Baltimore, and will need to transport my golf clubs somehow :)

grapealginate said:
I'll be going this summer as well. Do you know if I'll be able to live in DC if I'm not bringing a car? I'll have to take metro, or walk. Let me know if you guys know of any other good areas to live in, and what else we can do to prepare for this summer o fun.

Hey all,

I did the program last year and found it lots of fun. If you have any questions, please ask on this forum.

As for housing, I stayed at American University in the dorms. It cost less than $1000 a month for "rent" (CHEAP by DC standards), but this included utilities and transportation to the metro. I also purchased a meal plan and used the cafeteria for meals when I was not in the mood to cook myself or go out for.

The metro is the way to go... if you do not want to be in a dorm style area, be as close to the metro as possible (there are many apartments and rooms available for rent in the bethesda/rockville area. Stay in the NW part of town (anywhere else is a little sketchy). Be careful in the Adam's Morgan area. Metro runs from very early in the morning to very late (on the weekends) and is EXTREMELY safe. I took the metro several times on the weekends at like 2-3 am by myself and never saw anybody who even looked like a shady character.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

mike3kgt said:
Hey all,

I did the program last year and found it lots of fun. If you have any questions, please ask on this forum.

As for housing, I stayed at American University in the dorms. It cost less than $1000 a month for "rent" (CHEAP by DC standards), but this included utilities and transportation to the metro. I also purchased a meal plan and used the cafeteria for meals when I was not in the mood to cook myself or go out for.

The metro is the way to go... if you do not want to be in a dorm style area, be as close to the metro as possible (there are many apartments and rooms available for rent in the bethesda/rockville area. Stay in the NW part of town (anywhere else is a little sketchy). Be careful in the Adam's Morgan area. Metro runs from very early in the morning to very late (on the weekends) and is EXTREMELY safe. I took the metro several times on the weekends at like 2-3 am by myself and never saw anybody who even looked like a shady character.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

hey mike,
thanks for your reply! it was so helpful. 1000 sounds like a lot for housing though. I was hoping to spend about 500-600 and live right next to the metro and if possible a nice village area where I could go shopping, and to the market, etc. I know I'm there for the research, but it helps to live comfortably too! =) So as per your recommendation, I'll be looking in the NW area, which I'm guessing includes bethesda, rockville..any other areas that are desireable to live in? I've heard DC, is that too far? I'm currently looking up things on craigslist, do you know of any other sources that have good listings?

I lived in Logan Circle, about 10 minutes to the redline in Dupont, and then took the redline into the NIH. Use craigslist, that's prolly easiest. And I'd look for a place either in DC or Bethesda. Neighborhoods to look for: dupont, friendship heights, tenlytown, woodley park, etc. Basically, the neighborhoods on the redline. You can find them on the metro map online.

Hey guys,
I'm still looking for housing for June-Aug. Anybody find any good deals right next to the metro and downtown area? Where is everybody staying this summer? =)

grapealginate said:
Hey guys,
I'm still looking for housing for June-Aug. Anybody find any good deals right next to the metro and downtown area? Where is everybody staying this summer? =)

Hey,

I found a house bout 5 min walk from NIH. I am told there's still some empty rooms left for rent in the house so if anyone is interested in rooming there with me PM me