Nightshift: Has anyone worked 2 on/2 off instead of 7 on/7 off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gnostic.Spirit

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was offered a position for the nightshift and was surprised to see that it was for a 2 on/ 2 off position and not for 7 on and 7 off. Have any of you worked this schedule or know anyone who has?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's a decent schedule for working day shift, but wouldn't be good for overnights unless you were committed to being nocturnal. Most overnight folks that do the 7s spend a day transitioning from daytime sleep back to "normal person" nighttime sleep, but there's no way you could do that with just 2 days off.
 
The question is why? If you have people willing to work deep nights then why torture them with a stupid schedule? I bet that position is a revolving door
 
I worked nights for years (7on/7off). 2on/2off would be terrible. Heck, I need a few days just to recoup from the week I work.
 
I alternate 4 on/3 off, 3 on/4 off and it's okay. Sometimes on my days off, I'll have trouble adjusting back to daytime. I'll end up playing video games until 4:30am. But I have no problem staying awake at work.

2 on/2 off sounds like death.