NIH GPP Program for Current MSTP

Started by mstpee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mstpee

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently accepted to an MSTP program that does NOT have a partnership with the NIH. I wanted to do my PhD at another institution (Johns Hopkins) that does have a partnership with the NIH. Anyone know if it is possible for me to apply to the NIH GPP program as a Track 2 applicant (applying during beginning of M2) and do my research at NIH/Hopkins to receive the PhD from Hopkins and the MD from my MSTP institution? Any advise would be appreciated!
 
I found this link: https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/gpp/IndividualPartnership

Based on this, I'd say it is definitely possible for you to pursue your PhD at NIH. There would be a lot of individual responsibility as you'd have to identify a mentor willing to host you at the NIH and obtain the permission of your home MSTP/PhD department but it doesn't seem impossible.

I think what the original poster was asking was whether he/she could conduct PhD work at another institution as a dually mentored project with the NIH. I'm pretty sure that it is not possible. In order for it to work you'd have to matriculate into a partnering MSTP and then you'd be more open to conduct a dually mentored PhD with NIH and any other institution (OxCam is just the typical one since they allow delayed matriculation). However, I think this is only available for track 1 applicants. I'd talk to the NIH MD/PhD program director. He's a wonderful guy and always willing to help! 🙂