NIH GPP Program for Current MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently accepted to an MSTP program that does NOT have a partnership with the NIH. I wanted to do my PhD at another institution (Johns Hopkins) that does have a partnership with the NIH. Anyone know if it is possible for me to apply to the NIH GPP program as a Track 2 applicant (applying during beginning of M2) and do my research at NIH/Hopkins to receive the PhD from Hopkins and the MD from my MSTP institution? Any advise would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I found this link: https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/gpp/IndividualPartnership

Based on this, I'd say it is definitely possible for you to pursue your PhD at NIH. There would be a lot of individual responsibility as you'd have to identify a mentor willing to host you at the NIH and obtain the permission of your home MSTP/PhD department but it doesn't seem impossible.

I found this link: https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/gpp/IndividualPartnership

Based on this, I'd say it is definitely possible for you to pursue your PhD at NIH. There would be a lot of individual responsibility as you'd have to identify a mentor willing to host you at the NIH and obtain the permission of your home MSTP/PhD department but it doesn't seem impossible.

I think what the original poster was asking was whether he/she could conduct PhD work at another institution as a dually mentored project with the NIH. I'm pretty sure that it is not possible. In order for it to work you'd have to matriculate into a partnering MSTP and then you'd be more open to conduct a dually mentored PhD with NIH and any other institution (OxCam is just the typical one since they allow delayed matriculation). However, I think this is only available for track 1 applicants. I'd talk to the NIH MD/PhD program director. He's a wonderful guy and always willing to help! :)