NIH IRTA & clinical psych PhD track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gohogwild

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if folks have opinions on the NIH IRTA program. It gives a post-undergraduate the opportunity to work with the NIMH/NIDA/NIMHD (and others), and has a great reputation for being able to get pubs/posters, guidance through the application/GRE process, and an oppurtunity to work directly with NIH scientists. Does anyone have experience with this program and how it's regarded in the clinical psych world?
Separate question, asking for myself, I already have 2.5yrs of bench work related psych research.

Is having only 'hard science' research a hindrance?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think someone I went to grad school with did the NIH IRTA ... she worked with an adult psychiatric population but then did peds in grad school. I imagine this looked favorable on her apps and she was able to explain how that experience informed her decision to switch to peds / behavioral health management...

Reactions: 1 users
I think someone I went to grad school with did the NIH IRTA ... she worked with an adult psychiatric population but then did peds in grad school. I imagine this looked favorable on her apps and she was able to explain how that experience informed her decision to switch to peds / behavioral health management...
Good to know, thanks!