NIH IRTA roomate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A1ly3233

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a roomate that has been accepted into the NIH IRTA program. I will be moving the MD/DC area in late August 2018 (around August 20th) to begin an IRTA postbac fellowship. I am a 22 year old male.
I would like to live in DC, most likely near the DuPont metro or the Woodley Park-Zoo metro.
Message me if you are interested.

Also, if any current IRTA postbacs have any suggestions for affordable housing I would love to hear.

Members don't see this ad.

Bethesda and DC will be the most expensive areas. Silver Springs and Rockville will be the cheapest. Another factor is having a vehicle or not. you can find much cheaper places if you are willing to drive to work every day. Silver Springs is more difficult to get to the NIH because you must take a bus if you are reliant on public transportation. All of DC will area will be fairly expensive so I don't have great advice for you there. Just make sure you get a spot close to the red metro if you do not have a vehicle. A good place to start if you haven't already is samslist, the NIH housing website. That's how I found my living situation.
Good Luck! and enjoy the NIH!

Bethesda and DC will be the most expensive areas. Silver Springs and Rockville will be the cheapest. Another factor is having a vehicle or not. you can find much cheaper places if you are willing to drive to work every day. Silver Springs is more difficult to get to the NIH because you must take a bus if you are reliant on public transportation. All of DC will area will be fairly expensive so I don't have great advice for you there. Just make sure you get a spot close to the red metro if you do not have a vehicle. A good place to start if you haven't already is samslist, the NIH housing website. That's how I found my living situation.
Good Luck! and enjoy the NIH!

If you have a car and are willing to drive, where are the places that are cheaper than Rockville and Silver Springs?

For someone who wants to use transhare what is the most economical but also practical location to target?

Thanks for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a car and are willing to drive, where are the places that are cheaper than Rockville and Silver Springs?

For someone who wants to use transhare what is the most economical but also practical location to target?

Thanks for your time and help!

There aren't really a ton of economical places other than Rockville and Silver Spring... Shady Grove, Gaithersburg maybe. If you want to stay in the general area. If you don't mind an hour long commute you can look up farther towards Baltimore or out in Va towards Tyson's corner but I wouldn't recommend it. Beltway traffic is murder.

If you want to use Transhare, try to live within a mile of the red line, and keep in mind that Transhare has a monthly max that won't cover end-of-the-line prices. Currently I think it maxes out at like $300/mo, so when you're looking for places to live, make sure you use the WMATA fare calculator to check your estimated monthly fair. NIH should have the actual transhare published somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
There aren't really a ton of economical places other than Rockville and Silver Spring... Shady Grove, Gaithersburg maybe. If you want to stay in the general area. If you don't mind an hour long commute you can look up farther towards Baltimore or out in Va towards Tyson's corner but I wouldn't recommend it. Beltway traffic is murder.

If you want to use Transhare, try to live within a mile of the red line, and keep in mind that Transhare has a monthly max that won't cover end-of-the-line prices. Currently I think it maxes out at like $300/mo, so when you're looking for places to live, make sure you use the WMATA fare calculator to check your estimated monthly fair. NIH should have the actual transhare published somewhere.

Thanks for the detailed response! If I have future questions is it okay if I PM you?