NIH IRTA: Technical v Postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a bit confused at what the technical IRTA is. Is it training in the use of techniques and equipment used for research rather than training in how to conduct research?

Is it worth doing for someone looking to do the physician-scientist thing or are you much better off conducting research?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm a bit confused at what the technical IRTA is. Is it training in the use of techniques and equipment used for research rather than training in how to conduct research?

Is it worth doing for someone looking to do the physician-scientist thing or are you much better off conducting research?

Things may have changed since I was at the NIH... but you really want to do a tech-IRTA, and not a pre(doctoral)-IRTA. Essentially the two are the same, but if you do the pre-IRTA and try to stay an extra year you will get the same stipend, but if you do the tech-IRTA you get an increase in pay. It's just one of those stupid government things.

The program is designed for college grads to get real scientific exposure for a year. You will work in one of the many NIH labs in your area of interest. It's just like being a grad student without classes. As someone who just finished college, you probably won't be expected to do much.

Overall, this is an awesome opportunity and can take you far. When I was in the program, I got to know great people up close- like Francis Collins. It can really help you do two things- 1 realize that you want to do science for a career and 2 get your foot in the door to many MSTP programs.

Good luck

I am pretty sure that the differences are:

1.) Technical IRTA positions, according to the website are for training "future research support personnel," while Post-Bacc IRTA positions have the goal of training people who intend to continue on to graduate or professional school, (applying is actually a job requirement, and there's a lot of flexibility for traveling for interviews and such)
2.) Technical IRTA is a 2 year commitment with the option to renew for a third year. Post-Bacc is 1 year minimum commitment, with the option to stay for two (some labs will only be interested in you if you're coming for two years, this mostly depends on how much of that time they are going to have to spend training you.

I'm a Post-Bacc IRTA, and I would say that in terms of prepping for the MD/PhD track, that's the better path. That being said, there is a lot of variability in experiences here. I've stayed for (a little more than) 2 years, and will have multiple publications including at least one, and possibly two first authorships. Other people that I have talked to don't feel like they got much chance to initiate their own experiments or participate in design, and were more glorified (and badly paid) lab techs. If you're thinking about it, make sure you get to talk to the current IRTAs in the labs your applying to to see where on this spectrum their experience falls. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things may have changed since I was at the NIH... but you really want to do a tech-IRTA, and not a pre(doctoral)-IRTA. Essentially the two are the same, but if you do the pre-IRTA and try to stay an extra year you will get the same stipend, but if you do the tech-IRTA you get an increase in pay. It's just one of those stupid government things.

This is no longer true. If as a Post-Bacc IRTA you stay for a second year, you do get a raise. It's still not much, but it's something.

Ah, I missed the part where the tech one is a two-year commitment.

As for the post-bacc option, my primary goal is an MD/PhD program. I plan to apply to MD only programs and the NIH postbacc (and other lab tech options) as back-ups. Is it worth considering deferring an MD only acceptance to do one year at NIH in hopes of improving your chances of transferring into the schools MD/PhD program (and increasing my research background in general) or would I be better off just trying to do some research part-time as a medical student?

(I am really sorry for how convoluted that last sentence is.)

Does anyone have any knowledge about the tech. irta fellowship and the requirements to be considered? Thanks so much. Specifically, I fell that the post-bac option may be better for me but I have been graduated for just over two years and so I do not qualify. I have a decent GPA and an eclectic mix of research experiences. If anyone has info./experience on this position please let me know; I appreciate it.