NIH Loan Forgiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maranatha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a long shot, but has anyone out there ever applied for a NIH Loan Forgiveness for doing research or know anything about the program other then what the website says?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do you want to know?

I've been a recipient of the LRP, and I've served as a reviewer for LRP applications...

Great!

I suppose I'm curious about how difficult this is to get. I believe it indicated that a resident or fellow could apply. How would it impact the chances if I apply as a Child Fellow? I suppose I'm considering waiting until I have a few more publications under my belt first. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you are spending at least 50% of your time doing research, then it's definitely worth a shot!

The odds of success are posted on the LRP website - you have to click on each individual program to see the funding history. For example, for the clinical research LRP the numbers are here:

http://www.lrp.nih.gov/about_the_programs/clinical.aspx

The data are different for pediatric research, health disparities, etc.

Although you could technically apply as a resident, I think it would be rare for a resident to have at least 50% of their time protected for research for 2 years. As a result, you're probably not going to be eligible until you reach fellowship - and even then, it would have to be arranged that you would have 2 years of at least 50% time devoted to research.

With all of that said, the application is very heavily weighted on the strength of the applicant, your potential for a research career, and the environment/mentorship that you have available to you. So taking a little extra time to get a few extra publications under your belt will certainly help. Conference presentations are not included on the NIH biosketch, so publications will be very important here. Also do not underestimate the importance of strong letters of support from your mentors.

Hope that helps! It really is a great program.

Thanks! That's a huge help.

I will be 50% clinical and 50% research as a Child/Adolescent Fellow on a research track. I'll likely try to get a few publications before applying, though.