SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

NIH Loan Repayment Program

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by MemberNumber, Jun 10, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. entitlement

entitlement 5+ Year Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Psychologist
    I was able to log back in as well - still with the dreaded "Pending review" I really just want to know either way at this point so I can plan accordingly!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. zedas

zedas

Aug 11, 2016
    Did you NHLBI guys get financial review? I am still "Pending Review".... :(

4. jot

jot

Jul 14, 2016
    I was finally able to log on last night and status changed to "approved"! I think there is a correlation with the website being down and updating statuses:). I applied for CR with NEI. I was awarded a Pediatric LRP back in 2011 but due to lab changes I had to submit a new LRP under clinical. Fingers crossed for everyone else waiting!

5. GodisGood1

GodisGood1

Aug 10, 2016
    Does anyone know of colleagues that have heard from NIDDK? Thank you.

6. c1711

c1711 2+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2014
    My PR renewal application to NIDDK is still pending review.

7. zedas

zedas

Aug 11, 2016
    Just got bad news from NHLBI by email - still pending review on the site

8. ampearl

ampearl

Jun 1, 2016
    Same here. I'll be interested to know what the rationale was for the rejection. Had a financial review request early (mid-May), so this is a good example for applicants in the future - a financial review does not mean funding will come through.

9. entitlement

Apr 16, 2011
    Psychologist
    Got the big fat "no" rejection from NIMHD. Hoping that I can get some feedback on my application although the email states that it is NIH policy not to give feedback? Is this a new thing they are implementing this year? I heard from various folks who went unfunded last year that they were able to speak to their POs and get some advice regarding their applications. I went ahead and reached out to the PO anyway in the hopes that this is still the case.

10. ampearl

ampearl

Jun 1, 2016
    Spoke with the LRP Liason today regarding my unfunded application. I actually received rather specific feedback and would encourage anyone who did not get funded to do so as it would likely be helpful in regards to decisions to reapply for this coming round. I was informed that salient factors that were considered in the applications included number of publications, type of current funding (federal/non-federal), active submissions for federal grants, and research mentor's history of receiving federal funding. I'm happy to share more details if anyone is interested!

11. entitlement

Apr 16, 2011
    Psychologist
    I would echo what ampearl said - I was able to speak with the PO and she actually read me my reviews verbatim. For all those that applied to NIMHD, note that the acceptance rate dropped from 38% (2014) to 18% (!!). So don't be surprised if you get the feedback that normally your application would have been funded if you had applied any other year whether their funding had not been cut. According to the PO, they expect the funding to go back up again this year so I'm going to reapply and just hope this is the case because there isn't much more I can do with my application aside from churning out pubs that don't exist (yet).

12. Enteroid

Enteroid 2+ Year Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Didn't get financial review and also received reject email. Yikes 38%-->18% big difference wonder if other Institutes were cut as well.
    How do you get in contact with PO--I have been calling daily for last 2 weeks and all I get is voicemail (left my number but still no answer)?

13. entitlement

Apr 16, 2011
    Psychologist
    I emailed them and got no response, so I just started calling a few times a day until I got someone on the phone. To be completely honest, unless I already have an established relationship with the PO (e.g., the PO on my grant), I found that it is best to just keep calling until you get someone on the phone. Many POs are not very responsive to emails which makes sense, I'm sure they get 100s of emails a day.

I'm not sure if they have data per IC but in terms of LRP mechanisms, if I recall, Clinical had a slight uptick and Pediatric was about the same. You can look up this information on the LRP website under data and reports. They recently posted the 2015 funding cycle data. I will keep my comments to myself about the cut in funding specific to NIMHD, so much for one of NIH's major missions!

14. Enteroid

Enteroid 2+ Year Member

Jul 18, 2013
    thanks. I'll try calling.

15. zedas

zedas

Aug 11, 2016
    Any 2017 news yet? I know the applications are being reviewed...

16. EmotRegulation

EmotRegulation 5+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Psychologist
    Faculty
    Oh it's pretty early yet. Usually the financial review emails don't go out until mid-May, though there is variability by institute (my last renewal was May 12th and the initial review was May 31st).

17. SWPsych100

SWPsych100

Jul 4, 2016
    Don't some institutes get back earlier than others? I applied niddk clinical track...wondering if anyone has heard anything? When july came around I figured I didn't get it!

18. archerdb

archerdb

May 11, 2017
    I applied through the NIA clinical track and I haven't heard anything!

19. archerdb

archerdb

May 11, 2017
    So I'm obsessively checking my status at this point. My application status still says "Submitted", but if I go to the "Application Status" page, it has all of my loans listed and is asking for me to upload promissory notes and loan statements.

Does everyone's application have this option at this point?

20. SWPsych100

SWPsych100

Jul 4, 2016
    Yeah, mine says that too, just happened today. I'm assuming we all got this change in the app online, which is weird... I wonder if they changed the process this year. So, either we both got financial review or they are doing things differently!

21. PsychPsyance

PsychPsyance 5+ Year Member

May 28, 2012
    Hmm. Mine doesn't say anything. Hopefully that's because I'm on my third renewal. FWIW, I did not get a financial review email or a "get your stuff in order in case we ask for a financial review" email last year. The only email I got was the congratulations email. So, perhaps things are done a bit differently for renewals.

22. SWPsych100

SWPsych100

Jul 4, 2016
    Interesting... I got this email from LRP this morning after I inquired:

"Thank you for your diligence. The system has begun to receive Financial Review selections this week. Emails will be sent over the next week or so, requesting loan documents be uploaded. You do not need to reload anything you have sent to us, but we would appreciate if you would wait to receive the email before loading further documentation."

23. starthrower

starthrower

May 16, 2017
    Mine says that too

24. EmotRegulation

Apr 11, 2012
    Psychologist
    Faculty
    Last year was my first renewal and I got a "Your renewal application to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical Research LRP was selected for loan/financial review" email in mid-May (it was May 12th. Maybe things work differently for subsequent renewals, I dunno....but I'll find out this year since I submitted my second renewal in the fall.

25. PsychPsyance

May 28, 2012
    When you log in to your application, does it show loan info under the 'application status' page?

26. starthrower

starthrower

May 16, 2017
    Update: Mine says selected under status

27. SWPsych100

SWPsych100

Jul 4, 2016
    Update too: mine still says submitted and the option to upload docs is gone! Definitely not cool!

28. archerdb

archerdb

May 11, 2017
    The option to upload documents went away for me too!

29. SWPsych100

SWPsych100

Jul 4, 2016
    Oh boo!! I applied to NIDDK, keeping my fingers crossed, suspense is killing me!

30. SWPsych100

SWPsych100

Jul 4, 2016
    Are you able to upload docs?

31. starthrower

starthrower

May 16, 2017
    The option to upload documents is showing up. But I am waiting to receive the email to actually upload them. Edit: Mine was a new application for extramural in health disparities (NIMHD).

32. psystudent88

psystudent88 2+ Year Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Mine says "selected" for new award through NCI - able to upload docs so I just went ahead and did so (why not!)

33. starthrower

starthrower

May 16, 2017
    LRP told SWPsych100 " Thank you for your diligence. The system has begun to receive Financial Review selections this week. Emails will be sent over the next week or so, requesting loan documents be uploaded. You do not need to reload anything you have sent to us, but we would appreciate if you would wait to receive the email before loading further documentation."

34. EmotRegulation

Apr 11, 2012
    Psychologist
    Faculty
    Nope, doesn't say anything different than it did the last time I logged in (which was, admittedly, awhile ago). That's concerning.

35. SWPsych100

SWPsych100

Jul 4, 2016
    yet another update!
    "Due to system error all applications were temporarily updated to reflect loan information and uploading. This error has been corrected, If your application is selected for financial review, you will be notified via email."

36. stw2010

stw2010 7+ Year Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Can anyone clarify for me. When logging on -- and the status says "selected" does this mean selected for financial review? Also there's a link for me to upload my documents.

But I haven't received an email. Thoughts?

Update: Got an email. For those of you who haven't gotten an email. It may be worth checking the status through the LRP portal.

Clinical Research LRP through NICHD

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  37. psystudent88

psystudent88 2+ Year Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Just got the selected for financial review email!

38. starthrower

starthrower

May 16, 2017
    I received the email also.

39. PhDEpi2017

PhDEpi2017

May 22, 2017
    Has anyone heard about financial review from NIMHD?

40. starthrower

starthrower

May 16, 2017
    Yes, I received an email that I was selected.

41. SWPsych100

SWPsych100

Jul 4, 2016
  42. brandlb

brandlb

May 22, 2017
    Has anyone heard from NIDA?

43. EmotRegulation

Apr 11, 2012
    Psychologist
    Faculty
    I have not yet heard from NIDA for a renewal....I'll post here if/when I do.

brandlb likes this.
  44. TheycallmeMouseguy

TheycallmeMouseguy

May 24, 2017
    selected from NIAID. first time selected, multiple previous tries. boy i hope this is finally my time...

brandlb likes this.
  45. ejhutch9125

ejhutch9125

May 24, 2017
    Has anyone applied for the Pediatric LRP through NIDCR?

I haven't heard anything, my application status still just says "submitted", and I'm anxious.

46. brandlb

brandlb

May 22, 2017
    Thank you!

47. zedas

zedas

Aug 11, 2016
    NHLBI anyone?

48. aguy

aguy ASA Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2010
    My IC is NHLBI. I have not received an e-mail but when I log in, the status has changed to selected. Who knows!?

49. PsychPsyance

May 28, 2012
    Just to clarify, no one has actually been awarded yet, correct? Only financial reviews?

Also, just an FYI, I spoke with NIH and apparently financial reviews are not done after the first renewal... so, don't fret if you're on a second+ renewal and haven't heard anything just yet. You likely won't until you are either funded or thrown into the pit of despair :(

50. AlmostaPhD

AlmostaPhD 7+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Are you positive that they meant you wouldn't get the notification about "first level of review" at all? I know they don't do the full review where they ask for promissory, etc. but I was awarded renewals in 2014 & 2015 and I had a notification in late June/early July each time letting me know that I passed the first level of review. I took this to mean the same thing as when I got financial review the first time.

Also, still no word from NIDA? I am dying for this last renewal to clear out my loans!! :nailbiting:

51. EmotRegulation

Apr 11, 2012
    Psychologist
    Faculty
    No word from NIDA here (either). This would be my second renewal, and I'm hoping that PsychPsyance is right and that after the first renewal they just don't notify about financial review. Maybe this is a change from 2015? I'm dying here too, with expecting a baby in September, not getting renewed would really throw a damper in my year.