NIH Loan Repayment Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied to Pediatric Research NHLBI/NICHD and have not heard anything, not even financial review. Has anyone heard from these funding agencies yet? I know NHLBI is one of the last to make funding decisions (8/18/2015) last year, but I didn't gather when they asked for financial review.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for an initial award for clinical research with NIMH and have also heard nothing. Based on the passing of time I'm trying to figure out if I will still be eligible to apply again next year...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied to Pediatric Research NHLBI/NICHD and have not heard anything, not even financial review. Has anyone heard from these funding agencies yet? I know NHLBI is one of the last to make funding decisions (8/18/2015) last year, but I didn't gather when they asked for financial review.

I applied to NHLBI under clinical research, and I received an e-mail for financial review last week. Hopefully, you'll hear from them soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for an initial award for clinical research with NIMH and have also heard nothing. Based on the passing of time I'm trying to figure out if I will still be eligible to apply again next year...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Pavlove, why wouldn't you be eligible to apply next year?

Pavlove, why wouldn't you be eligible to apply next year?

Dependent on funding, I am on the fence about transitioning to a position that might not have 50% research time. Since I also have a relatively low amount of debt, if this position comes with the pay increase I am anticipating I might be close to the eligibility ratio.

Has anyone received word (or know someone who has) on whether or not they were approved yet?

I still haven't received financial review (NIHMD) and I have a few colleagues who applied through that mechanism and also haven't heard a thing. Other colleagues applied through NIMH, NICHD, NIDA, and NIAAA, and also haven't heard anything. I've had more than a few prior applicants tell me that they didn't find out (whether they got it or not) even as late as September. So I don't think folks should necessarily give up hope yet.

Pavlove - I'm in a somewhat similar position. Depending on whether I get the LRP or not will decide whether I am going to actually apply to more industry/consulting type positions during my job search this fall.

I still haven't received financial review (NIHMD) and I have a few colleagues who applied through that mechanism and also haven't heard a thing. Other colleagues applied through NIMH, NICHD, NIDA, and NIAAA, and also haven't heard anything. I've had more than a few prior applicants tell me that they didn't find out (whether they got it or not) even as late as September. So I don't think folks should necessarily give up hope yet.

Pavlove - I'm in a somewhat similar position. Depending on whether I get the LRP or not will decide whether I am going to actually apply to more industry/consulting type positions during my job search this fall.

Thanks for post, this gives me some hope. I wonder if the IC's are staggering their decision making or going down the list if people don't provide their docs for financial review in a timely manner...

A lot is riding on the LRP for me as well. I have not heard from nih, it is getting late for financial review emails at this point.

After a 2 month period of going back and forth to get all the necessary financial review docs in order, I received the following email:

"We have received all the required loan documents so your financial review is now complete. We are expecting NIH to be making their funding decisions by late July."

For reference, I submitted a new application for NICHD Clinical Research.

According to colleagues who received new awards last year, they said the same thing, i.e., funding decisions will be made by late July, but no one heard one way or another about the status of their application until the first week in September. Still, I am starting to get pessimistic about my application since I haven't even gotten financial review. Still do not know anyone who applied through the Health Disparities mechanism who did get a financial review, so there is still a little hope that they may come late. It also happens to be the mechanism that historically has had the most applications.

I just went back to my emails from last year--I got the email informing me I didn't get the LRP on 8/28/15. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who's still waiting to hear on financial review.

Just out of curiosity, anyone else unable to log in to the LRP website this morning?

Members don't see this ad :)
According to colleagues who received new awards last year, they said the same thing, i.e., funding decisions will be made by late July, but no one heard one way or another about the status of their application until the first week in September. Still, I am starting to get pessimistic about my application since I haven't even gotten financial review. Still do not know anyone who applied through the Health Disparities mechanism who did get a financial review, so there is still a little hope that they may come late. It also happens to be the mechanism that historically has had the most applications.

entitlement, I applied through Health Disparities and received a financial review request on 6.3.16.

I'm just curious how many people have received a financial review ever but not been awarded.

My story is that I had a pediatric NIDCR LRP from 2011-13 then switched institutions and fields so rather than apply for a renewal, I had to apply for a new clinical LRP with the NEI this year. I received a request for financial review on May 20 and submitted everything so I completed the administrative review and am now my status is pending review.

I'm just curious how many people have received a financial review ever but not been awarded.

My story is that I had a pediatric NIDCR LRP from 2011-13 then switched institutions and fields so rather than apply for a renewal, I had to apply for a new clinical LRP with the NEI this year. I received a request for financial review on May 20 and submitted everything so I completed the administrative review and am now my status is pending review.
I received financial review last year, but was not funded. If you look back on this thread, you should be able to find others who were in the same boat.

Just checking in. Anyone heard anything re: funding decisions?

It's still pretty early. I got my award in 2014 (NIDA) and didn't hear until 8/15. No idea if renewals come earlier, but I am definitely checking every couple of days, and so far I see nothing but the Pending Review phrase!

Has anyone gotten financial review in the last week or so? Can we assume all Financial Review decisions are complete?

Has anyone gotten financial review in the last week or so? Can we assume all Financial Review decisions are complete?

After inquiring asking this question I got this response from LRP: "Thank you for your inquiry, the applications are still under review. It is still possible to receive notification for financial review."

I wish that they would just reject people instead of making everyone wait like this!

I got the same response re financial reviews. However, it seems like is pretty late in the game so I am getting ready to reapply in the Fall.

I agree with SWPsych100.

I applied for a renewal from NIDDK, and I received a financial review email on 04/12/16. The email said funding decisions will be made by late August.

Today, the status of my first-time application to the NIAMS switched from "Pending Review" to "Approved."

Today, the status of my first-time application to the NIAMS switched from "Pending Review" to "Approved."

Congrats! Glad to hear of the first approval! I've started checking daily as last year it looked like approvals started rolling in around this time.

Congrats!! Did you receive email notification or did you just have to log in and check? Thanks!

Anyone having problems logging on to the LRP website? I haven't been able to get on all morning.

All I get is server error. Hopefully that means they are updating applications to 'approved'... but it probably just means server issues at LRP. We tend to read into things too much. :)

All I get is server error. Hopefully that means they are updating applications to 'approved'... but it probably just means server issues at LRP. We tend to read into things too much. :)

Haha - we can only hope it means they're updating apps to "approved"!

Thanks. The "Approval" status update came 24 hours before an email from the NIH.

The status of my application to NIA just changed to 'approved.' I didn't get funded last year, so this is definitely a relief :) Good luck to all.

Reactions: 1 user
Curious whether anyone else has had any word on first time applications being awarded? I'm particularly interested in clinical research applications to NICHD. Thanks in advance, congrats to those who have been awarded, and good luck to all!

My first-time clinical research LRP application was just funded (!!!!!) by NIAID this week. The website updated to "Approved" about 36 hours before I received an email from NIH. I have a research Ph.D. and I am one year into my postdoctoral fellowship, to provide some context and hope for others that this award is not exclusively given to M.D. clinicians. As most of you have likely surmised, the major determinants appear to be the fit of your research project/topic, mentor/environment, and possibly your debt:income ratio (mine is over 3:1). I was told that Ph.D.s are given lowest funding priority and I feel incredibly fortunate to have succeeded on my first application attempt. I have been lurking on this thread for nearly a year since applying last September, and would like to thank you all for helping to keep my anxiety at bay during what felt like an incredibly long wait.

I hope those of you who have not yet heard will receive good news very soon. For those of you still waiting - note that the LRP website states that funding decisions will be announced into September, despite the email promising a decision by the end of July. Best of luck to all of you! :)

Applied for NHLBI Clinical Research, got financial review request in June, but still have not heard about final decision. Has anyone else heard from NHLBI?

Still no news here (NIDA - CR, renewal). I had to submit a change of institution, and was told they are way behind processing these requests.

Glad to hear approvals are coming in! I went back through posts in this forum and it appears that the median date for hearing of approvals is around August 14th. So even with a small N, I'm using this to help decrease my anxiety about seeing the "Pending Review" still lurking on my LRP account. I hope that anyone participating on this forum continues to post about all approvals as I find it incredibly helpful. Thanks and good luck everyone!

I just spoke with the LRP folks. They told me all funding decisions are supposed to be made by next Friday. Fingers crossed that we all get good news between now and then.

Nice, at least the LRP person you spoke with was responsive. Most of the CR applicants I know have heard back already but there are one or two pending. I applied through HD and called LRP last week and just got a very bored person on the phone who didn't give me any details. Debated on calling the PO but decided not to, don't want to irritate anyone anywhere near my app at this point. :)

Hi all,

I applied to the Clinical Research LRP through the NIDDK. I received financial review email late May and final loan document approval mid-July. Still waiting to hear on a funding decision. I haven't seen or heard of any new applicants getting "Approved" from NIDDK to date.
Good luck to everyone and this thread has also helped me maintain my sanity so thank you to contributors!

Nice, at least the LRP person you spoke with was responsive. Most of the CR applicants I know have heard back already but there are one or two pending. I applied through HD and called LRP last week and just got a very bored person on the phone who didn't give me any details. Debated on calling the PO but decided not to, don't want to irritate anyone anywhere near my app at this point. :)

Any of the CR applicants you know of apply to NICHD?

How about any clinical research applicants who applied to NCI? Have any of them heard?

Also, have people been awarded in the past without receiving an email for financial review? I received an email back in April describing the loan documentation to gather for financial reviews and that final funding decision would be made in late August (which sounds like most people received), but since then have heard nil. From what I remember from applying, there really wasn't much more loan information they would be requesting that I hadn't already provided in my main application.

Sorry for the neuroticism, just anxiously waiting with y'all. Good luck everyone!!

How about any clinical research applicants who applied to NCI? Have any of them heard?

Also, have people been awarded in the past without receiving an email for financial review? I received an email back in April describing the loan documentation to gather for financial reviews and that final funding decision would be made in late August (which sounds like most people received), but since then have heard nil. From what I remember from applying, there really wasn't much more loan information they would be requesting that I hadn't already provided in my main application.

Sorry for the neuroticism, just anxiously waiting with y'all. Good luck everyone!!

There is actually a lot of additional information that is requested for financial review, including promissory note on each individual original loan even if you consolidated your note and total payoff amount. I ended up having to go back and forth twice with them to get all the information they needed.

Yeah what dcdoc82 said - there is apparently a lot of documents they expect for the financial review. I think I mentioned this somewhere in this thread but I know two people who were awarded the LRP last year (both HD), and didn't get financial review until mid to late august (and got their award letter a few weeks later in late aug/early sept. Its the only thing giving me any glimmer of hope at this point haha.

My boyfriend and I both applied to NIH LRP. His application was for NIDCD Clinical Research and mine was NINDS Pediatric Research. He just got an e-mail notification of award this morning (yay!), but I'm still "pending review" (these words are beginning to haunt me). His financial review and subsequent notifications have all come earlier than my notifications, so I'm still hopeful that we could both get funded. It would be amazing for both of us to become less poor, so fingers crossed.

I also want to echo earlier comments about how this thread helps maintain sanity - I couldn't agree more. Good luck everyone!