NIH summer research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imagoodmanyea

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you people doing the NIH summer research fellowship program? I'm trying to find housing in the DC area, preferably close to Bethesda. Have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

imagoodmanyea said:
Are any of you people doing the NIH summer research fellowship program? I'm trying to find housing in the DC area, preferably close to Bethesda. Have any suggestions?
me too..im tryin as well....i only need a 10 week lease. anyone know of a place?

I'm still waiting to here from them. When did you guys get notified?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance a few weeks ago at the NIA in Baltimore.

craigslist.com

www.washingtoncitypaper.com

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/sub/

GW has summer housing too. Might be expensive. Not sure if you have to be in one of their programs (I doubt it... it's another moneymaker for them). Also check Georgetown, American U to see if they have classifieds, housing msg board. All of these are metro accessable....

Try to find something metro accessable...preferably on the RED line. www.wmata.com Parking is a pain @ NIH (security chks).

Best guide to DC I've seen yet: www.frommers.com/bookstore/0764576283.html
The website has lots of pdf excerpts.

Msg me if you have Q's. No promises, but I'll try to help.

when did u guys apply? Did you contact any of the PI's, or they contacted you? I recently applied, like the last due date. Haven't heard. I called the main office and they said that I should email the PI's in the labs that I am itnerested in to let them know that my app and letters are up. Any suggestions.

HiddenTruth said:
when did u guys apply? Did you contact any of the PI's, or they contacted you? I recently applied, like the last due date. Haven't heard. I called the main office and they said that I should email the PI's in the labs that I am itnerested in to let them know that my app and letters are up. Any suggestions.

I was lucky since my PI saw my application and contacted me directly. The best way of increasing your chances is to e-mail some prospective preceptors and indicate your interest in their research. The more people you e-mail the better chance of getting someone.

I will probably be working for the nih as well this summer, we shuld all keep in touch. also am looking for a place to stay ---anyone looking for housemates to rent with pm me or something.

Cheers, saph

donvicious said:
I'm still waiting to here from them. When did you guys get notified?
i went for an interview and was accepted on the spot....im in transition..i graduate this May and i start med skool this fall...

you just have to email the PI's. I actually didnt email the PI that im working with PI, but another PI that i did email referred me to her. so i lucked out.

good luck

That's cool. I am actually a M2 right now. So, I am not even sure if I am going to do this (I did apply for it however). If I spend 2 months summer, I will lose elective time later down the road. I alreadyspent last summer somwehere doing research for 3 mos. The only research I am going to do is going to be in the specialty I decide from thsi point on. While I have some interests, I don't wanna just give up two months right now and then not have tiem to do anything later when I know for sure. Plus, does anyone know, (perhaps older kids or residents), whether something like this, research at NIH for the summer looks more "perstigious" so to say, than say, working at a top 5 ENT department (just giving e.g for a compet field) for couple months later down the rd and pursue a career in ENT and potentially get at least a letter, if not pub. Thanks.

HiddenTruth said:
That's cool. I am actually a M2 right now. So, I am not even sure if I am going to do this (I did apply for it however). If I spend 2 months summer, I will lose elective time later down the road. I alreadyspent last summer somwehere doing research for 3 mos. The only research I am going to do is going to be in the specialty I decide from thsi point on. While I have some interests, I don't wanna just give up two months right now and then not have tiem to do anything later when I know for sure. Plus, does anyone know, (perhaps older kids or residents), whether something like this, research at NIH for the summer looks more "perstigious" so to say, than say, working at a top 5 ENT department (just giving e.g for a compet field) for couple months later down the rd and pursue a career in ENT and potentially get at least a letter, if not pub. Thanks.

I'd post this up on the allo area. I think post grads are more qualified to answer this as alot of them serve on the interview committees for prospective incoming residents.

Specifically, I would try to find out if clinical v basic research is more helpful w/ regard to your ultimate goal in medicine.

NIH, to me leans much more towards the basic side, but then again, I've mostly been in basic research for the last ~8 yrs. There is clinical stuff there too... http://www.training.nih.gov/crtp/

Is Bethesda a decent place to live? I heard it was boring, but it's close to the NIH campus. Someone is offering me a one bedroom in Dupont Circle, but the rent is a bit steep ($1200/ month). Dupont Circle seems like a fun place to live, but would the long commute make it a hassle?

HiddenTruth said:

No offense meant dude, but I swear I've seen you ask about "research prestige" like tons of times in these forums (or maybe that was in otomatch also).... wow.

Catalyst said:
No offense meant dude, but I swear I've seen you ask about "research prestige" like tons of times in these forums (or maybe that was in otomatch also).... wow.

well, gotta get/make most out of time. It's the little things and connections u make that get u a step ahead in this worthless field.

HiddenTruth said:
well, gotta get/make most out of time. It's the little things and connections u make that get u a step ahead in this worthless field.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. Good luck with everything.

imagoodmanyea said:
Is Bethesda a decent place to live? I heard it was boring, but it's close to the NIH campus. Someone is offering me a one bedroom in Dupont Circle, but the rent is a bit steep ($1200/ month). Dupont Circle seems like a fun place to live, but would the long commute make it a hassle?
Both NIH & Dupont are on the Red line (www.wmata.com). During morning rush hour, it's a 14 minute train ride that costs $2.20. Extremely easy commute by train.

Dupont can be VERY fun but kinda pricey (if you're into the clubby/bar scene). It is very easy to have fun in DC w/o spending a ton of $$.

If I were just in DC for the summer, I'd look into subleases w/ room mates. $1200/month for a 1 BR apt is DuPont is pretty average.

PS- Bethesda is, for the avg person in their early to mid 20's considered fun. Lots of bars/restaurants. It's a tiny bit too yuppified for my personal tastes. If I were trying to decide b/t DuPont or Bethesda, I'd go for DuPont. Cost of living is about the same for both. Bethesda is still part of the burbs, whereas DuPont is DC & w/in walking distance to much, much more.