NIH: What/Whose Lab Did You Work In?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolff313

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All:
I have seen great threads about NIH's post bac IRTA, however, most have been from previous years. I am currently applying to the NIH and was wondering if past post backIRTA's could share the names of the laboratories or branches they worked in. As noted in other threads, I am taking the initiative to contact PI's however, I am having little success because NIH is SOOO BIG and apparently I am not contacting the labs that traditionally take post bac IRTA's. But ofcourse, I wouldn't know of these labs. So, please if you have participated in a post-bacc IRTA could you post your lab or branch. It would make narrowing the search for available positions a lot easier. Thanks!

-G.S.W.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear All:
I have seen great threads about NIH's post bac IRTA, however, most have been from previous years. I am currently applying to the NIH and was wondering if past post backIRTA's could share the names of the laboratories or branches they worked in. As noted in other threads, I am taking the initiative to contact PI's however, I am having little success because NIH is SOOO BIG and apparently I am not contacting the labs that traditionally take post bac IRTA's. But ofcourse, I wouldn't know of these labs. So, please if you have participated in a post-bacc IRTA could you post your lab or branch. It would make narrowing the search for available positions a lot easier. Thanks!

-G.S.W.

http://www1.od.nih.gov/oir/sourcebook/sci-prgms/sci-prgms-toc.htm

Click on the various institutes and search for faculty contact info. Create a generic e-mail and send it off to each of them (individual e-mails, of course), maybe varying a sentence or two to cater to their research area. I sent dozens of e-mails and got positive responses from a handful, that's the best way to go about this process. First you have to complete the application so they can look you up once you e-mail them, though. In case this is a factor for you, the NCI pays their post-bacs the most (near 30k) as opposed to the other institutes which pay around 26k.

I concur.

I work on a breast cancer protocol via the Clinical Center. Might be because of my M.S. that I get paid 31k+, but I definitely feel I got many interviews because I looked up EVERY lab that I might be interested in, looking in ALL the institutes. Don't get discouraged if it takes a couple months for things to precipitate. That's just how it goes. And, above all, when you talk to someone in the lab, show that you're enthusiastic and interested.

Funding is a bit low in the upcoming year, so might make it a bit more difficult than previous years.

Good luck!