NIH's Year-Off Program for Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kris1

Mega-Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody participated in this or known anyone who has?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody participated in this or known anyone who has?

Sounds interesting -- is it strictly limited to basic science research or is clinical also allowed? Is this done in between MS-2 and MS-3 and do you have the link to the program?

I know someone who has done this before. It was a basic science research project for her. You don't need to have a link to the program. The person did it between 3rd and 4th year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a semester there during undergrad & there were 2 med students doing a year out in my lab (one did howard hughes). they both really enjoyed the year & the increased free time as compared to med school. If you have any interest in lab research i'd recommend it. the resources are unmatched...for example after isolating a clone post pcr i could just call the sequencing lab down the hall and have my clone sequenced the same day ... if only i liked lab work ...

I ask because I was considering doing it. For those who are unfamiliar with it, I believe it is a one year hiatus to do research for the NIH in many (basic science/clinical) fields. It's a healthy stipend depending on cost-of-living and they have many locations from which one could work. They fund moving expenses and provide health insurance as well. Would seem like a golden ticket for residency. Though I wonder if it is worth bringing med school momentum to a halt for this experience. It means graduating a year later of course and is probably more designed for those with a greater interest in research than what I have.