Nine Years of EM Match Data and EM Program Directors Reflect on the 2022 Match - Podcast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1653829830616.png

EM Match Advice 37: EM Program Directors Reflect on the 2022 Match

Discussion of preference signaling at 31:00 - 37:00 in the podcast.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
AMG/DO M4s. Vs IMGs and prior grads.

As a DO, I don’t think I was considered LCME. That’s the MD med school accrediting body. DO schools use someone else, I think it’s COCA. So LCME refers specifically to US MD graduates. Some residencies don’t look as favorably at DOs, but this less common than it used to be.

So cringe listening to these speakers. They mentioned that the results of this season's match were a little surprising... That's what you call being out of touch. These academic physicians are too far removed from reality to be leading anything.....

Also, it's disrespectful and elitist to look at percentage of non-USMD matched into EM as a marker of failure. IMG's are going to be making up the bulk of your future colleagues. Get used to it.

Reactions: 1 users
So cringe listening to these speakers. They mentioned that the results of this season's match were a little surprising... That's what you call being out of touch. These academic physicians are too far removed from reality to be leading anything.....

Also, it's disrespectful and elitist to look at percentage of non-USMD matched into EM as a marker of failure. IMG's are going to be making up the bulk of your future colleagues. Get used to it.

Blows my mind people didn't see this coming. We interviewed 20 more people than usual to buffer anticipating going much further down the list. Was obvious that EM was going to be far less competitive this year.

I didn't listen to the podcast so I have no idea if they call taking IMGs a mark of failure. Was that the statement? If so, that is certainly a biased expression. If they simply stated that accepting a greater percent of IMG applicants indicates decreasing competitiveness of the specialty/program ... that's not disrespectful or elitist, that's a factual statement.

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't listen to the podcast so I have no idea if they call taking IMGs a mark of failure. Was that the statement? If so, that is certainly a biased expression. If they simply stated that accepting a greater percent of IMG applicants indicates decreasing competitiveness of the specialty/program ... that's not disrespectful or elitist, that's a factual statement.
They use percentage of spots filled by USMD seniors vs DO/IMG/Other as a rough barometer for competitiveness in the field overall. Not necessarily to ascertain how “good” or “bad” were doing but more to evaluate compared to other specialities where EM falls on the spectrum and track the change over time.

It’s not a perfect measure but it’s a pretty decent global assessment IMO. You look at specialities like ortho and derm where they’re consistently over 90%, vs something like FM or IM where they’re usually around 40-50%. We went from 70-80% five years ago to 54% this year. So basically EM went from being similar in competition to Anesthesia or OBGYN to being closer to FM/IM/Peds.

The data is more useful to an academic advisor or med school dean rather than a student applicant. Obviously the top programs will remain quite competitive but with a much lower floor.

Reactions: 2 users