555 EM spots did not fill in Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calvinhobbes

Attending Physician and Preceptor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1/6 of EM spots did not fill pre-SOAP.

šŸ˜³

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 12 users
Do you have a link?

An excellent wake-up call to many levels of our dear leaders.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, how emergency medicine has fallen. Can someone please post the family medicine residency numbers? Does that mean emergency medicine is the least, competitive specially?

I canā€™t link but itā€™s on ERAS, whoever has access: go to the R3 websiteā€”>optionsā€”>reports
and you can see a list of all the open spots by speciality.

Guess people are ditching EM and applied to Gas, Rads, and Psych this year :/

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, how emergency medicine has fallen. Can someone please post the family medicine residency numbers? Does that mean emergency medicine is the least, competitive specially?
Emergency Medicine: 555/3011 = 18.4%
Family Medicine: 589/5100 = 11.5%
Internal Medicine: 545/11911 = 4.5% (although numbers for IM include preliminary so not as accurate)
Pediatrics: 91/3067 = 2.9%
Psychiatry: 21/2164 = 0.97%

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
The SLOE requirement for EM used to be needed but now why waste an entire month to rotate at a new school when you can explore another field or just chill before residency.

This is also when there are more med students than ever before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Internal Medicine: 545/11911 = 4.5% (although numbers for IM include preliminary so not as accurate)
Thank you so much for posting this!

Almost 20% unfilled. So we are now the lease competitive speciality in medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are 3,000 spots now!? Wtf. It was just like 2500 a few years ago.

This is what happens when residents are used for labor. Other residencies like Family and IM are plentiful but those are the residents in the hospital

FM and IM have more varied job markets

EM used to have six spots not being filled in 2015 ish

Reactions: 5 users
Wonder what the post-SOAP class is going to look like. I imagine there's a lot of PDs that are frantically trying to verse themselves on visa requirements.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Wonder what the post-SOAP class is going to look like. I imagine there's a lot of PDs that are frantically trying to verse themselves on visa requirements.
And accepting people with step 1 failures and just grinning and baring it.

• Haha
Can't fill your spot in the match? You lose the spot. Have to apply to get it back in the future (yes a half-baked idea...).

Reactions: 14 users
Can't fill your spot in the match? You lose the spot. Have to apply to get it back in the future (yes a half-baked idea...).
This might be the one thing that saves our specialty or delays the inevitable. Too bad it will never happen.

Fantastic idea, and as an added bonus, this would decimate the malignant surgical prelim programs.

So many bad programs out there that need to shut down but acgme doesnā€™t have the balls

Oh wow, I'm very surprised to see a bunch of established places that I really liked when I interviewed back in the day.

Itā€™s so many spots left open that i think thereā€™s hope that some spots will remain unfilled after soap.

20 percent spots unfulfilled but literally 6-7 years ago the number of spots were almost half of today.

Programs need to start shutting down.

Itā€™s so many spots left open that i think thereā€™s hope that some spots will remain unfilled after soap.

20 percent spots unfulfilled but literally 6-7 years ago the number of spots were almost half of today.

Even if some stay unfilled after the SOAP, I have no doubt they'll almost all fill during the scramble. The ability to obtain a US medical license is a golden ticket that ensures someone will take those spots.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I'm very surprised to see a bunch of established places that I really liked when I interviewed back in the day.

Yeah but the thingis EM is not what it once was even established programs are suffering. FM can do EM in a lot of places plus med students have realized that you can do various clinics and hospital work as FM.

Some of the bigger name places like Duke, Baylor, Stony Brook and others need to feel the pain so they can speak up. Otherwise no one will keep caring if no name places like Nazareth PA, Bayhealth Med, Swedish Hospital, Memorial Health System OH, St.John Riverside, Nassau University Medical Center and others dont fill a single person in their incoming class. Those places should be shut down.

Some of the bigger name places like Duke, Baylor, Stony Brook and others need to feel the pain so they can speak up. Otherwise no one will keep caring if no name places like Nazareth PA, Bayhealth Med, Swedish Hospital, Memorial Health System OH, St.John Riverside, Nassau University Medical Center and others dont fill a single person in their incoming class. Those places should be shut down.

This isnā€™t Baylor Houston. Itā€™s some Baylor in Dallas, didnā€™t even know there was a Baylor program in Dallas.

Duke though is an excellent program, was no 3 on my list in 2016 :)

There are >3000 spots available now, up from like 1800 less than a decade ago.

Supply has finally outstripped demand from interested U.S. medical school graduates, but they'll still probably find bodies for most of these spots.

That list is very surprising, thanks for posting it. Some places might have been pursuing the same applicants, so you have some in the same region completely fill and others go almost completely unfilled. A lot of established places missed out on at least one spot or even a few spots (looking at you Ohio and Michigan). A lot of the Midwest places filled fully, a few established didnā€™t like SLU, but Iā€™m surprised only two Illinois programs didnā€™t. Thought thereā€™d be more there.

Wow is right.
We've all seen it coming, but to actually see it happen...

Wow.

Thanks for taking the time to put in that list! I agree some surprises on there. VCU is an outstanding program and Richmond is a great place to live, so if any med students looking at this, that would be a good scramble target. Iā€™m not sure of the quality of the program but the patient population at UT Memphis would make for some good training opportunity. I seem to recall Duke is a 4 year program and BITD had a reputation as being pretty intense, so maybe explains why they didnā€™t fill.

Insane

Some fantastic and solid programs on that list

But majority are ****ty programs that should never received acgme approval to begin with

Like government departments budgets - you don't spend it, you lose it in next year's budget.
The crazy thing is, is that they get government money.

Emergency medicine is now the specialty people donā€™t want we have a worse reputation than family medicine

Reactions: 1 user
The fact that some NYC programs did not fill at ALL is scary and quite sad :/

I mean, wowā€¦for example, St Barnabas Hosp is an amazing program in the Bronx. Iā€™m literally floored that it didnā€™t fill and has so many spots available.

Last edited:

Agree, back in 2012-2017 EM was super competitive and mostly all programs would fill, and people were gunning for EM. Crazy how so much has changed

Now we just need to hope that as many spots as possible stay unfilled.

Crazy thing is, even when NUMC opened their program in like 2017? After the match, the program filled in like a dayā€¦ everyone wanted EM and to be in NY too. Ugh. Whatā€™s going on is madness.

There are more ER spots, now than they are pediatric spots. EM which can only work in ERs with critical access hospitals closing so staffing will be a problem.

Just think of that. With that many residents, a lot of them will not get procedures.

Not only that the off service ER residents will not be as respected. The roasting of EM will get 10 times worse.

Last edited:
We have already seen a decline in the quality of new EM residents over the past few years. I cannot imagine what July is going to look like...

Status
Not open for further replies.