Nitrile Gloves

Started by Nflow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nflow

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much would you estimate the price of a box of Nitrile gloves to be?

Is it better to double bag with Latex or Vinyl gloves?

How many "blades" will one need for the semester?

Sorry for the questions, I am trying to purchase them ahead and online.

Thanks
 
Funny you should mention it, but I just ran out of gloves today. I estimate the price of a box of nitriles to be 4.99 at least at the drugstore where I shop. Some people double bag the latex, but I have noticed the nitriles becoming more and more popular as the semester wears on.

Lets see, we use about 2-3 blades per lab session. About 3 labs a week for 16 weeks...about 120 blades should do it. 😉 That should only run about 50 bucks or so. i think my group is somewhat scalpel happy and perfectionistic though.

I'm going to wind up using about 4 boxes of gloves for the semester. I don't ever let people borrow gloves though, as I am a hardcore gunner.
 
We used about five blades for the ENTIRE three month anatomy block. You will learn that the scalpel is not the best instrument for disection, the scissors are. Scissors can be used to scrape, tear, and cut. Very effective. The only time we used our scalpels was on initial cuts of skin, then it was all scissors.

As for gloves. Nitriles are a little more costly but they keep out chemicals much better than latex or vinyl. They also tend to be a little sturdier, dont break as easy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you'll probably need at least 10-20 blades in the beginning... the skin is pretty tough to cut through! but i wouldn't just go out and buy them all right now. chances are, one of the people in your group will have some sort of part time job/connection to the hospital settings, and they can swipe the blades from the job pretty easily. i've seen nitrile gloves online for about $10 (box of 100). try to take advantage of the sales the student groups organize though, because it's often cheaper than ordering yourself.
 
Nitrile gloves rock because they don't make your hands smell like Trojans. Our school provided all that dissecting stuff for us (i.e. it was included in our tuition).
 
Thanks guys for the reply. I was just about to pay $22 for a box of nitrile gloves. Well I really don't know how many is in the box, but it still seems high to me.
 
WOW!! I'm not sure where all you guys go to school but why are they making you pay for gloves and blades??? All of that is supplied by my school, even the nitriles for latex allergic. Don't you pay enough in tuition?

Oh well... good luck all